KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I did in fact speak with KCUMB about my rejection. The person I spoke with over the phone said that they do not tell applicants why they were rejected. Would've been great to know if it was my interview or my application.

That sucks I hope they didn't lead u on knowing ur gpa was below their minimum maybe they liked other things in ur app and wanted to see if u could kill the interview....oh well least u got other interviews/acceptances I hope!
 
So, I did in fact speak with KCUMB about my rejection. The person I spoke with over the phone said that they do not tell applicants why they were rejected. Would've been great to know if it was my interview or my application.

My understanding is that you only get an interview if they believe on paper you are someone they could see at the school. My take, therefore, is that something went awry in your interview. They wouldn't waste your time or theirs on interviewing people that they weren't going to accept because of their stats. I think you said earlier that have an acceptance already so not a big deal, but think about your interview and try to pinpoint something that felt off to you.
 
It's sad that some people had a bad experience during their interview..I interviewed here last week and I had an amazing experience..It seems that it really depends on who interviews you..The people who interviewed me were exceedingly nice and started the interview by congratulating me for being chosen for an interview🙂🙂 They asked me some questions about my application, but did not bring up anything regarding my gpa or mcat score...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My interviewers were Dr. Glaros and Dr. Taylor (microbiologist). Both were very nice and made me feel relaxed. I do think we were strategically matched with our interviewers. Dr. Taylor did her Phd at the same school I did my undergrad and Dr. Galoros lived in an area in close proximity to where I live now.
 
I called today also to inquire where I went wrong. I'm on the waitlist but I still want to know what it was that caused me to not get the acceptance. The lady told me that I needed to speak with the director of admissions and she was out for the day but she didnt think they could tell me either. I think that is complete bull. What is the harm in telling a student what they could do to improve for next time. If you dont know what went wrong, how are you supposed to fix it for next time???
 
I called today also to inquire where I went wrong. I'm on the waitlist but I still want to know what it was that caused me to not get the acceptance. The lady told me that I needed to speak with the director of admissions and she was out for the day but she didnt think they could tell me either. I think that is complete bull. What is the harm in telling a student what they could do to improve for next time. If you dont know what went wrong, how are you supposed to fix it for next time???

Completely agree.

And also, I actually didn't have a negative experience at my interview. I felt very excited about and impressed by the school, with the only con being the location (far from Los Angeles.) Again, congrats to all that received acceptances!
 
Email Brooke Birdsong - she's the associate director of admissions and is usually pretty good with responding to emails.
 
Anyone know when the deposit is due for accepted students?

i got another single paper after my acceptance one (3 or 4 days later, maybe a week) that said you had to pay the deposit by december 15th. I don't remember if it was $500 but 12-15 and the other $500 by 5-15, or the $1000 all due by 12-15 for those accepted this early. If it is that important to you, and I can look, but I am not by it right now.
 
i got another single paper after my acceptance one (3 or 4 days later, maybe a week) that said you had to pay the deposit by december 15th. I don't remember if it was $500 but 12-15 and the other $500 by 5-15, or the $1000 all due by 12-15 for those accepted this early. If it is that important to you, and I can look, but I am not by it right now.

Great, thanks FrkyBgStok . I just wanted a general idea, which you've given me. 👍
 
Does anyone know how KCUMB view classes taken at a Community College? After I graduated from my four year university, I took Orgo I & II, and Physics II at a CC.
 
For people who interviewed on 9/28/11, our letters are in the mail.

[edit] Whoops! Fixed the date. Thanks RIdoc11!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!! KCUMB Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The letter came in one of those small, normal envelopes, I thought it was gonna be a waitlist or rejection letter.
 
FINALLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!

second year applying, first acceptance ever....my mom read the first sentence over the phone and I was breathing so fast I couldn't say anything....this is huge for me.

congrats to everyone else!

:wow::banana::zip::soexcited:
 
I interviewed on 9/30 and got my acceptance in the mail today..anyone else from 9/30 heard anything today?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dmu is a smaller campus. Kcumb is more like a college. Spread ouut. They have required lectures where dmu doesn't. They aren't nearly as excited about their technological capabilities like dmu. The family feel was better at dmu I thought. But everything I say regarding dmu vs, anyone should be taken with a truckload of salt.
 
For what it's worth, KCUMB records every lecture and posts them blackboard so they can be reviewed via mediasite. They tell us when there will be attendance so some people only go to lectures those days (~ 1 per month).
 
Got the acceptance letter today!! So pumped. Definitely my top choice school. See you all in August! Interviewed 9-28
 
Accepted! Literally the happiest day of my life...what an emotional pinnacle.

Definitely attending my top choice school...see you guys in August!

[edit] Agree with the facebook page thing!
 
Last edited:
For what it's worth, KCUMB records every lecture and posts them blackboard so they can be reviewed via mediasite. They tell us when there will be attendance so some people only go to lectures those days (~ 1 per month).

I meant to ask what the attendance policy was. While I enjoy the lecture experience, I think I actually learn better by watching classes online (labs excluded of course)
 
Labs are mandatory - some take attendance, others give you quizzes.

I don't remember what year you are at KCUMB, so please excuse me if this question will be difficult to answer. How do you go about doing elective rotations? Do you have to do the elective rotations at one of the core rotation sites, or can it be anywhere?

Can't wait to be joining your ranks come August 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats everyone! You're going to LOVE it here 👍

KS, I believe you can do your non-core rotations anywhere you want.
 
Does anyone know how KCUMB view classes taken at a Community College? After I graduated from my four year university, I took Orgo I & II, and Physics II at a CC.

I did the exact same thing. My interviewer said, and I quote "my 17-year old could ace these classes" refering to the Orgo, Physics, and Bio I took at a CC. All the questions in my interview revolved around that. I did not get an acceptance, but I was not sure I even wanted one anymore.
 
I did the exact same thing. My interviewer said, and I quote "my 17-year old could ace these classes" refering to the Orgo, Physics, and Bio I took at a CC. All the questions in my interview revolved around that. I did not get an acceptance, but I was not sure I even wanted one anymore.
Really? Wow, that's pretty messed up. I should call admissions tomorrow to see how they feel about it. I don't want to waste my money applying to a school that won't even consider me. Although, good news is that you at least did receive an interview. I did well in the prereqs that I took at my university, and I would really like to go to KCUMB. 🙁
 
I did the exact same thing. My interviewer said, and I quote "my 17-year old could ace these classes" refering to the Orgo, Physics, and Bio I took at a CC. All the questions in my interview revolved around that. I did not get an acceptance, but I was not sure I even wanted one anymore.

Really? What day did you interview? Any 9/26er's on here? I'm in Canada so no letter yet.
 
I flew to LMU-DCOM this past Monday to interview yesterday and I called KCUMB last week to see if they made a decision for the 9/26 interviewees...they said the letter would arrive while I was gone! So I get home at midnight last night super antsy and saw no letter from KCUMB on the sink!

Just got home from school/work, checked the mailbox, saw the letter and ripped it open...ACCEPTED! So excited!