KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a quick question for you? About how long after you turned in your secondary app did you receive an interview request? Thanks

It was about a week for me I think. It depends on when the committee meets, when they receive your LORs, MCAT scores, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this may be really random, but is there anyone out there who interviewed at kcumb on 9/26 named Katherine from Ohio who may be reading this? If there is, PM me!
 
Nope, Iowa...in response to if I live on KC from a few days ago. I thought I was hitting the button to reply to that message but apparently not... 🙂
 
So...somehow my supplemental application invitation ended up in my trash folder. I already created my account, but I just can't figure out how to get back to the page. I emailed the admissions office but haven't gotten a reply. Does anyone know how I can get the link to the supplemental application?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Just got to the hotel. It's freaking cold here... jeebus.

Interview tomorrow. Pumped up, but still waiting for DMU to email!
 
Does anyone know which is better for 3rd and 4th year rotations/residencies - KCUMB or DMU? also any other input other than the campus itself would be appreciated. DMU def had nicer facilities but I'm just wondering if rotations are better in Kansas city being in a bigger city. Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's 12:21. My interview is in a few hours.... yet I'm still awake. I'm going to be the dead zombie tomorrow if anyone is looking for me. lol 🙄

Oh question, does KCUMB have a spot to put luggage if you bring it? I'm heading to the airport right after the interview so I'll have my luggage with me.

Must...try to sleeep.... ......... OMG american dad is on TV! Time to watch. :laugh:
 
Just bring the luggage with you and they'll make sure you have it a the end of the day. Word is that zombies can get an acceptance to, especially so close to halloween.
 
10/5 interview, got my rejection in the mail today. Fortunately a school I was about equally interested in accepted me so I'm not terribly crushed.
 
Just got out of my interview a little over an hour ago. Great campus! The location is so-so, but the campus is wonderful. It was a lot more cozy and homely looking than other places! Definitely got a log-cabin vibe from it, haha.

The interview day was great. The tourguides were really friendly and honest about KCUMB. The facilities seem pretty darn good too (although... I do think DMU is better in this aspect, but only slightly).

Anywho, the interview was great. It was really laid back. One of them followed up with something I said regarding the "why DO/why medicine?" question. I think he was just trying to throw me off, but I felt I handled myself well. He also asked me an ethics question... asking me to think of a ethical issue and ask how I would explain it to a patient. It wasn't bad though. The other interviewer asked me about a couple things on my application like my hobbies, and about my parents' business I managed/owned... (describe an event that made me really mad as a business owner, and what was the most difficult thing about running a business).

Then we just filled out a questionnaire about the interview before we left for the day. Overall, I had a really great time a KCUMB! I think I performed a lot better in this interview than my DMU one too, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm dead tired... time to nap. This cold weather is making my eyes red and dry 😴
 
I take it from the lack of response that there's no way for me to get the link to the supplementary app log-in page?

I sent KCUMB an email explaining my situation (that the email they sent with the link to the secondary invite disappeared from my inbox and all I have left is the account creation confirmation) and have not received a reply.

Please help!
 
I take it from the lack of response that there's no way for me to get the link to the supplementary app log-in page?

I sent KCUMB an email explaining my situation (that the email they sent with the link to the secondary invite disappeared from my inbox and all I have left is the account creation confirmation) and have not received a reply.

Please help!

kcumb.edu/applycom
 
I thought it went fine. There was nothing awkward or hard about it. It started out with small talk about my last name. Then they asked me if I was an orthodontist because AACOMAS lumps dentist, orthodontist together and I told them I wasn't --- that's the only option on the application. Basically asked me why I wanted to change careers, and if I thought I would like the genesis curriculum because my dental school was more traditional. I really don't know what the problem was. I know my MCAT is not the greatest but I don't think that was it.

KCUMB was the only interview I attended since I got accepted to MSU virtually the same week I had the interview. It was also the only other school I was interested in because of the curriculum. I cancelled my other 3. No regrets. I'm glad I got to see the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it went fine. There was nothing awkward or hard about it. It started out with small talk about my last name. Then they asked me if I was an orthodontist because AACOMAS lumps dentist, orthodontist together and I told them I wasn't --- that's the only option on the application. Basically asked me why I wanted to change careers, and if I thought I would like the genesis curriculum because my dental school was more traditional. I really don't know what the problem was. I know my MCAT is not the greatest but I don't think that was it.

KCUMB was the only interview I attended since I got accepted to MSU virtually the same week I had the interview. It was also the only other school I was interested in because of the curriculum. I cancelled my other 3. No regrets. I'm glad I got to see the school.

Wow. That's weird. Makes you really wonder what they are thinking. Well I'm glad you got into the school you wanted. Sometimes it takes visiting another school to show you that you fit better elsewhere. Best of luck.
 
Thanks everyone. Good luck to everyone else still waiting and interviewing.

To all current students, check out the next copy of the Communicator. It features my DO mentor. I was interviewed for this 🙂
 
Last edited:
interviewed 10/5. Rejected 10/19 🙁

I thought my interview went well but I guess they didn't want me? I would like to have at least an acceptance to fall back on like you guys. 😳
 
Had a great day at KCUMB on Wednesday! Great school, very kind and helpful students, laid back interview with very nice interviewers. Good luck interviewing everyone. It was nice meeting other SND members. I am looking at you Toytles!
 
Had a great day at KCUMB on Wednesday! Great school, very kind and helpful students, laid back interview with very nice interviewers. Good luck interviewing everyone. It was nice meeting other SND members. I am looking at you Toytles!

Haha it was nice meeting you too, Mr. Wizard! Hope your flight back was good. I'm glad we both felt good about our interviews.

I talked with my parents and they researched a lot about DMU and KCUMB. They seem to like DMU a lot more from the information they've gathered, so we all agreed that DMU is where I'll be going (if I don't get into a texas school). KCUMB is a fantastic campus though. Good luck to everyone who is wanting to get in!
 
Haha it was nice meeting you too, Mr. Wizard! Hope your flight back was good. I'm glad we both felt good about our interviews.

I talked with my parents and they researched a lot about DMU and KCUMB. They seem to like DMU a lot more from the information they've gathered, so we all agreed that DMU is where I'll be going (if I don't get into a texas school). KCUMB is a fantastic campus though. Good luck to everyone who is wanting to get in!

what did their research show?
 
Haha it was nice meeting you too, Mr. Wizard! Hope your flight back was good. I'm glad we both felt good about our interviews.

I talked with my parents and they researched a lot about DMU and KCUMB. They seem to like DMU a lot more from the information they've gathered, so we all agreed that DMU is where I'll be going (if I don't get into a texas school). KCUMB is a fantastic campus though. Good luck to everyone who is wanting to get in!

If you don't mind PMing me why, I'd love to hear your reasons. Good luck and I hope you get accepted to your TX school of choice! 🙂
 
I will agree. Granted I was heavily biased towards DMU, I felt like the facilities were nicer and newer, the sim lab was better, and the campus was better. Now this is because I didn't want the college feel. All of the classes are basically close and with the underground tunnels, it is like being in one building. Nice and warm during the winter.

Most importantly though, KCUMB had a couple people say, "good luck" but other than the tour guides, nothing from the students. When I went to the bathroom away from my group at DMU, I had people walk by me and say good luck. People from down the hall would scream, "you'll do awesome," and lunch had tons of students giving us words of encouragement. I really felt the family at DMU. In addition, everyone was studying a study guide another student put on the "file sharing" network they had. It really sold me on the noncompetitive family environment.

I also didnt like the required classes. People are here say it isnt so bad, but the students told me you could not attend a couple classes a month, so I am not sure who to believe.

That being said, the genesis curriculum sounds friggin awesome. Basically like a way awesome version of PBL so you can think like a doctor from the beginning. Way cool. And the staff was amazing from what I saw.

I just didn't like the building full of study rooms. Seemed lonely. And the DMU library was awesome. The workout facilities at DMU were also nicer. And the cafeteria.

Honestly though, all of this is preference. The genesis and staff were definitely awesome.
 
Sorry, I am not trying to bash on KCUMB. Most people knew how heavily biased I was towards DMU and for someone reason, I haven't withdrawn my acceptance to KCUMB. It really was an awesome school. If I wanted the college campus feel and wasn't married with kids, I would definitely keep KCUMB as one of the best.
 
So is the consensus that it took about 6-8 days to hear if you got an interview invite after sending your secondary in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man I don't know how you decided. If I get into KCUMB I have no idea how I will pick between VCOM and there.

Haha ya. Have you gotten an acceptance at VCOM already? I heard it was a good school! Good luck with that decision. 😉