KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey how long did it take you guys to hear back from KCUMB about staying with students? is there a contact list for volunteer students if I don't hear back in a while? Thanks!

I never heard back from them even though I asked to state with a student host. I emailed admissions one week before interview day and they said they would send out a request again, but I still did not hear from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Just cancelled my interview for monday, Hopefully someone can snag it

Just cancelled my interview for monday, Hopefully someone can snag it

I cancelled my interview and withdrew my application today. If you don't mind me asking, did you email or call to cancel your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to all,

I am an MS1 at KCUMB, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I also signed up to host people, so hopefully I will get to meet some of you.

Also, I am married and have kids, in case any of you are in that boat and have questions specific to that.

Please email me with any questions to [email protected].

Good luck, and hopefully I'll see some of you around campus.

Jeff

Hello to all,

I am an MS1 at KCUMB, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I also signed up to host people, so hopefully I will get to meet some of you.

Also, I am married and have kids, in case any of you are in that boat and have questions specific to that.

Please email me with any questions to [email protected].

Good luck, and hopefully I'll see some of you around campus.

Jeff

Thanks for the offer! It's always comforting when med students come on these threads and offer their advice. I may be emailing you sometime since KCUMB is my second OOS choice. :)

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I don't know what other advice has been given but here is my perspective now a first year at KCUMB...

1. RELAX! The application process is not that complicated. I applied to lots of schools, and spent A LOT of time worrying about minute details... hindsight is 20/20, and I can tell you that the process with KCUMB is very relaxed, you will be fine.

2. I believe the idea that they actually screeen applicants for people they actually see attending the university. I believe the interview is just a formality and that it is yours to screw up.

3. The school is exactly as advertised. The genesis curriculum is awesome, the facilities are awesome, and the professors are awesome. The location is in a suboptimal location, but you are so busy studying that you don't even notice. Security on campus is exceptional, not once have I felt afraid, or in need of "additional protection". There is housing available on campus, as well as in the surrounding communities at a reasonable rate.

4. Be yourself. I now know the majority of the professors that interview, and I can tell you that they want to see the person you put down on paper. If you sell yourself too good to be true, you had better be that. If you are not, they will see it, and you probably won't get in. Just be yourself.

I could give you other advice, but I think that is sufficient for now. Again, just be yourself.

message me, or email me with specific questions.

Best.

Last edited:
I have a room at the holiday inn express westport on the 29th/30th, if anyone is interested in splitting the cost with me, send me a message.

I am thinking of adding KCUMB to my verified AACOMAS. Do you guys think I am too late to apply? or Do I still have a chance for the interview? Let me hear your opinions.

I am thinking of adding KCUMB to my verified AACOMAS. Do you guys think I am too late to apply? or Do I still have a chance for the interview? Let me hear your opinions.

You still have a chance for interviews... especially since your AACOMAS is already verified. You should get a secondary from them next week is you add the school before Tuesday.

You still have a chance for interviews... especially since your AACOMAS is already verified. You should get a secondary from them next week is you add the school before Tuesday.

Do you believe that this school has a minimum sub-score for each section of MCAT? Because my score is 26Q (V:6 P:10 B:10). Since I am ESL student and an immigrant, my verbal score is lower than avg. I hope they don't have a strict cut off range for the verbal section. Also, this school accepts both in-state and out-of-state equally, right?

Do you believe that this school has a minimum sub-score for each section of MCAT? Because my score is 26Q (V:6 P:10 B:10). Since I am ESL student and an immigrant, my verbal score is lower than avg. I hope they don't have a strict cut off range for the verbal section. Also, this school accepts both in-state and out-of-state equally, right?
as per their website they dont take a MCAT with a section lower than 7
http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/com_acad_requirements.asp
sorry bro

In addition, KCUMB seems to be quite stingy with their secondaries and even moreso with their interviews. So a secondary won't automatically come.

CONGRATZ!...is there an actual complete email after you submit and pay for the secondary?...I got the confirmation email with my completed secondary and a receipt email...is there another after they process the letters of rec and such

I don't think so. My next email was the interview invite

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone using the shuttle- what do you do with your luggage while you are interviewing?

Anyone using the shuttle- what do you do with your luggage while you are interviewing?

I asked this question on the DMU thread, and apparently at DMU they allow you to store your luggage and personal items in a secured area on campus. I assume they same is allowed here? I'd like to know this as well. :)

Anyone in the Westport Plaza area this Tuesday the 27th want to grab food/drinks? Just message me!

Anyone in the Westport plaza area today/tomorrow??

Quick question about the number of leadership hours on the application. I was a restaurant manager for 4 years and I was wondering if you all thought that counted as leadership. I mean I know I was leading people but I am not sure that is what they are looking for.

Quick question about the number of leadership hours on the application. I was a restaurant manager for 4 years and I was wondering if you all thought that counted as leadership. I mean I know I was leading people but I am not sure that is what they are looking for.

Yes, that would count.

If you had to lead people and possibly delegate assignments, then it's leadership.

Thanks Toytles. I do believe you sir, have the best name avatar combo on these forums.

Hey how long did it take you guys to hear back from KCUMB about staying with students? is there a contact list for volunteer students if I don't hear back in a while? Thanks!

I am interviewing tomorrow and scheduled my interview August 24. I did not hear back about staying with students though I selected that option. I would call them ASAP before its not too late and you have to stay in a hotel.

Ill be here thursday night for a Friday interview. I also havent heard anything from a student host.

when i interviewed, many people asked about student hosts but only one of them actually stayed with one, and she had known her host from undergrad, so it was a special deal. this was out of 25 and i would say about 10 of them asked for a host that i saw.

Student Services have asked students to volunteer to be student hosts for applicants, but I guess if people don't volunteer, they have a problem. I know there are interviews on Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week and both 1st and 2nd years have midterms on Monday. Sorry to say, but I would imagine that student hosting was not high on their list of priorities.

There should be better communication though back to you guys if student hosting is going to be a problem. I'll make that suggestion (after my midterm).

Quick question about student hosting. It sounds like something really fun to do, and I plan to be involved in it if I can once in medschool. Do you have to live on campus to be a student host? What if you have your own apartment... can you still host or no?

I want to help the future premeds out as much as I can. :p

There is no student housing (it's sort of student housing). There is an apartment complex across the street (Century Towers) that is run by a separate company but 90% of the residents are KCUMB students. It used to be an old hospital that was converted into apartments. You'll go on a tour of it during your interview day because they work very closely with KCUMB.

So all students live (technically) off campus in apartments (or whatever) and anyone, regardless of where they live, can volunteer to be a student host.

Hey guys! I interviewed on 09/19 and was lucky to be able to stay my friend from undergrad who attends KCUMB. I didn't go through Student Affairs though, so I don't know how that whole process works. I will say that if you are able to spend at least one extra day in KC, stay. She was awesome and let me borrow her car the day of my interview so I went downtown and explored a little. I absolutely LOVED the city and even checked out a few of the apartment buildings and lofts (just to have an idea of what my options are if I end up there). A cab to downtown is probably only $5-10 since it is so close to the school though. :)

Anyone in the Westport plaza area today/tomorrow??

I signed up for a stay with a host and no reply yet so I am thinking I may need to book the Westport Plaza. What is the best way to book? Do they give us a discount? Thanks.

Student Services have asked students to volunteer to be student hosts for applicants, but I guess if people don't volunteer, they have a problem. I know there are interviews on Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week and both 1st and 2nd years have midterms on Monday. Sorry to say, but I would imagine that student hosting was not high on their list of priorities.

There should be better communication though back to you guys if student hosting is going to be a problem. I'll make that suggestion (after my midterm).

Just got an e-mail from KCUMB saying that student housing wasn't available right now. A list of hotels, complete with KCUMB rate and shuttle to and from the hotel was given, along with phone numbers and addresses. The email also said "Please let me know when you have made your arrangements."

Very pleased with this e-mail. Great admissions office! :thumbup:

(edit) Staying at the Q on the 27th, for an interview on the 28th. If anyone's in the same boat as me, please shoot me a PM! We should meet up for dinner!

Last edited:
Anyone from 9/15 happen to call and see if they have interview results yet?

Anyone else up for the Oct 14th interview date?

Will do for sure, I shot them an Email Friday and that's why I haven't called. Don't want to drive them nuts, but if I dont hear back from the email by tomorrow I might call them.

I called this morning at 745 pacific time. They told me no decision yet.

not that i have seen, but if you decide to call, post results here. i was 9/19 so it wouldn't be too long after that.

Near the end of the admission cycle last year KCUMB stopped giving out acceptance info over the phone. You might want to see if that is still their policy.

I got a response via email today about interview decisions from 9/15 interviews. They said they don't offer answers over the phone/email, however, decisions have been made for 9/15 and letters are in the mail as of today. Not sure about other dates.

Near the end of the admission cycle last year KCUMB stopped giving out acceptance info over the phone. You might want to see if that is still their policy.

I interviewed today and admissions said that they will be sending out single letters - no phone or email. If you call they will tell you whether or not a decision has been made but they won't tell you what the decision was.

I say single letter because if you get a letter from KCUMB and it is thin, DONT THROW IT OUT! They accept and deny on a single letter so your acceptance or rejection envelope will be the same thickness. If you get accepted you will be receiving a larger packet shortly after getting the acceptance letter.

Good luck to all who are interviewing! It is very low key and I was nearly hyperventilating going in but was really relaxed about 30 seconds in - very nice people!!

It was a good day. Nice to meet everyone.

I also wanted to add that the area is not as bad as this forum made it out to be. I did not feel unsafe at all and didn't really think it was that bad. Our group toured CT, so we did cross the street. Would not be afraid to live there.

Anyone receive an interview invite recently?

I have been complete for awhile and I haven't heard a peep yet.

why did you withdrawal?

I got into AZCOM, and I live in the Phoenix area so I definitely wouldn't move to go to KCUMB over AZCOM. My interview date was on 11/7, so hopefully someone here can get it. :)

Just found KCUMB's recent match list and it looks impressive.

Anybody staying at the Holiday Inn Westport plaza (or stayed here for a previous interview) know when the shuttle comes? I thought the shuttle service was provided by the hotel but apparently it's provided by the school, so the lady at the front desk didn't have any useful information...my interview is tomorrow by the way.