-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Interviewed here last Monday and was very impressed by the school and all of the students and faculty... will be thrilled if I get an acceptance letter in the mail in the next few weeks. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Kansas City... Crossing my fingers!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The average between undergrad and grad school was 3.50 cum. and 3.34 science. MCAT was 23Q. My interview went very well I thought, though.
3.7, 28q
ok so is heating and air included at century towers?...i swear the lady giving us the tour said it was but on the packet they gave us it says its not yet also in the packet is a letter testimonial from a student that said it was lol
i know living in the midwest heating can definitely add up
thanks
i know living in the midwest heating can definitely add up
thanks
What are the stats of all those who were accepted for 2012 at KCUMB?
Overall all GPA: 3.7 Science GPA: 3.4 MCAT 25M (11V, 8B, 6P)
Unfortunately, I've been waitlisted at KCUMB. I'm hopeful that room will open up because I would love to go to this school. I don't believe there is much hope as they only moved 2 from the waitlist last year. Any other waitlisters out there?
Also, I've read some threads from the past years and people have mentioned receiving a waitlist position with guaranteed acceptance the following year. Has anybody received one of those letters yet this year or did they quit doing those?
Also, I've read some threads from the past years and people have mentioned receiving a waitlist position with guaranteed acceptance the following year. Has anybody received one of those letters yet this year or did they quit doing those?
Any tips to their interview?Interviewed here last Monday and was very impressed by the school and all of the students and faculty... will be thrilled if I get an acceptance letter in the mail in the next few weeks. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Kansas City... Crossing my fingers!
Just got an interview!! Any suggestions about how to prepare? This will be my first interview. Also, does anyone know where I can find the practice interview questions on KCUMB's website?
I am waiting to hear from them!! I love everything about that school!! Any suggestions?
Any tips to their interview?
Be prepared to ask a few questions that will not be answered during your tours, such as the faculty's opinion on teaching a large class size, or their thoughts on the University's financial strength. The interview itself is very laid back, the hardest part is just waiting your turn (this is when your nerves start to act up) since you have been sidetracked all day with tours and such.
General advice is to know everything about your application and be able to talk inteligently about your volunteer experiences and any research you have done. It is ok to pause before you answer. Collecting your thoughts before you start rambling will make everyone happy. One more thing- you should realize that getting an interview means you make the cut, the rest is all about who you are. You can guide the topics of conversation by your experiences. If you mention something interesting (like a unique experience) as support for an answer, they will likely want to know more about it.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an interview!! Any suggestions about how to prepare? This will be my first interview. Also, does anyone know where I can find the practice interview questions on KCUMB's website?
THANK YOU!!!! 🙂
Congrats!
I don't know of any practice interview questions on KCUMB's website. SDN's interview feedback section is great to use when preping for interviews. I just made a list of all the questions for KCUMB and made sure I had a good knowledge base for all of them.
Karen Pletz found dead in Florida:
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/22/3280401/karen-pletz-found-dead-in-florida.html
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/22/3280401/karen-pletz-found-dead-in-florida.html
Just got an interview!! Any suggestions about how to prepare? This will be my first interview. Also, does anyone know where I can find the practice interview questions on KCUMB's website?
THANK YOU!!!! 🙂
I know its hard to relax when it is your first interview, but that is they key. I have interviewed at some places that are nice, but it seems more like an interrogation or they are waiting for you to sell yourself. At KCUMB, it seemed like from the start of the morning, everyone was just welcoming and happy to see you. Very relaxed and informative sessions to begin the morning just to introduce you to the university. They give you all the info you need to know about the school and financial aid, etc. Then you split up into groups with student-guides that are really laid back and will level with you about the school. The consensus was that everyone loved it and since the change in administration, it is much better than it was before. Then its lunch time.
After lunch, you go back to a general waiting area at the student center and sit around and talk, watch tv, get fitted for white coats, etc. You will be called for your interview. Just be yourself. Don't try to overly impress. They gave you an interview for a reason. They want to know you are. Know what is on your application. If there was a bad semester, you may not necessarily have to explain it, but tell how you changed for the better and what made you turn it around. Of course know the regular questions like "Why medicine?" and "Why osteopathic medicine?". "What sets you apart?" "What makes you believe you will be a good doctor?" What are your plans if you don't get in this year?" "What are some ethical dilemmas faced by doctors today?" "How would you handle those dilemmas?"
The entire experience during the day just made me feel comfortable, so I was comfortable during the interview. Don't let it overwhelm you. Treat it like you are considering the university just like they are considering you. Learn about their philosophies, ask yourself if the campus, people, and philosophies mesh well with your vision of medical school. They make you feel like you are wanted there. So just relax, be yourself, and answer questions honestly.
The average between undergrad and grad school was 3.50 cum. and 3.34 science. MCAT was 23Q. My interview went very well I thought, though.
What was the break down of your 23Q?
I talked about schools mandating the HPV vaccine because it's hot in the news and also about people denying healthcare. They then asked me about euthenasia because it was related to something in my personal statement so that was unexpected and very difficult for me but I handled it well. My interviewer also shared a personal story with me after that which was nice that he opened up to me. I think as long as you are aware of the dilemma's out there then you are good to go 🙂
What was the break down of your 23Q?
Verbal - 8
Physical - 7
Biological - 8
During the interviews, I want to hear what people said as their ethical dilemma when asked. Is it a bad idea to go with an obvious dilemma, or try to think of something unique to help stand out?
I have had some family experience with over-medicating and performing unnecessary procedures. I talked about that a little. I was also asked how I would handle a situation like a young woman coming to me and wanting an abortion. I didn't have anything memorized, and I wasn't really prepared for random questions like that, but I just answered thoughtfully and honestly and they were pleased with my answers I guess.
There is a shuttle from KCUMB that picks up candidates staying at the Q and the Holiday Inn at Westport around 8:15 or so the day of the interview. It takes everyone back afterwards too. (at least thats the way it has been).
Yeah, I know. I rented a car for my to/from MCI so I'm just going to drive to KCUMB.
If you utilize the shuttle service you will be first to interviewYeah, I know. I rented a car for my to/from MCI so I'm just going to drive to KCUMB.
Is there a pass/fail system here or r there grades then computed into a gpa????
Grades, computed into GPA.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any idea if the committee met before Thanksgiving? I interviewed on Monday November 14th, and I am anxiously waiting to hear back. I have debated emailing Patricia Harper to find out when the committee meets, but I don't want to be a pest.
Agreed... I interviewed the 16th and would love to hear great news from KCUMB

Anyone have any idea if the committee met before Thanksgiving? I interviewed on Monday November 14th, and I am anxiously waiting to hear back. I have debated emailing Patricia Harper to find out when the committee meets, but I don't want to be a pest.
I interviewed on the same day and I remember them saying the committee would meet after Thanksgiving. We probably won't get our letters until next week.
Overall all GPA: 3.7 Science GPA: 3.4 MCAT 25M (11V, 8B, 6P)
Do you remember how long it took for them to get back to you with an invite for the secondary? My verbal score is a 6 and I understand that with any section under a 7 they have to reconsider and evaluate more into the application before they decide if you get a secondary or not.
So the move in date for Century Towers is August 1st, which is the same day as orientation begins...that should be an interesting day.
I actually called yesterday and they said if you wanted to move in earlier than that to let them know and they would see what they could do for you... I would imagine they want leases to begin on the 1st of the month, so if orientation is 8/1, I think I'm going to try and move in 7/1 then.
I have verbal section score 6 too. But I got interview invitation in 2 days after I submitted the secondary (secondary invitation took about 5 days for me) BEFORE my application is complete. So I believe KCUMB is looking at the whole application. You should be fine. Good luck!
Do you remember how long it took for them to get back to you with an invite for the secondary? My verbal score is a 6 and I understand that with any section under a 7 they have to reconsider and evaluate more into the application before they decide if you get a secondary or not.
I also had a 6 on the Verbal section and it took about two weeks before I got the interview invite
You can move in mid month. They will pro-rate that first month's rent for you. It will depend on when people move out but let them know what date you are aiming for and they will do everything to make it work. I moved in July 15th.
Sounds good, thank you!
You can move in mid month. They will pro-rate that first month's rent for you. It will depend on when people move out but let them know what date you are aiming for and they will do everything to make it work. I moved in July 15th.
the lady didn't say that on the phone, but probably what i'll try to do now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have verbal section score 6 too. But I got interview invitation in 2 days after I submitted the secondary (secondary invitation took about 5 days for me) BEFORE my application is complete. So I believe KCUMB is looking at the whole application. You should be fine. Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck to you too! =)
I also had a 6 on the Verbal section and it took about two weeks before I got the interview invite
Hey thanks! Good luck to ya!
I was interviewed on Monday 11/28/11. The admission staff said we will hear the decision within 3 weeks. I remember someone said in this forum that they will meet this week. Hope we can hear something soon. Good luck to all of you!!!!
Does anyone know exactly when the committee meets next? I assume it should be sometime this week. I'm getting anxious just waiting.
I was interviewed on Monday 11/28/11. The admission staff said we will hear the decision within 3 weeks. I remember someone said in this forum that they will meet this week. Hope we can hear something soon. Good luck to all of you!!!!
I interviewed on 11/7 and we were told we would hear a decision after Thanksgiving break and I got my acceptance letter on 11/16. So you never know. Just be looking in the mail. If its good news, the first word is "Congratulations!". Good luck! I hope you get in.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 49K
