KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hotel is booked for my 11/16 interview! Hotel Phillips in downtown KC... stayed there before and liked it. Only 6 or so minutes from campus... whose going to be at the 11/16 interview with me?

Is there free parking on KCUMB's campus for me?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, getting into med school (especially at KCUMB) is a dream come true! I don't think it's going to sink in until I do the financial aid stuff. Here's a question- how long do we have before we have to decide? I haven't gotten any info since the acceptance letter. I have 3 more interviews, the last one on December 12th at LECOM-Eerie. I obviously want to have something to compare KCUMB against since it was my first interview. Is there a way to get the other schools to expedite their decisions after my interviews? I feel like I may have to decide on KCUMB before Dec. 12th (my last interview).

I'm really leaning toward KCUMB, I LOVED the school, and I liked Kansas City quite a bit. Still, the smart thing to do would be to go to the other interviews and make sure that I don't love another school too. (Never thought I'd be in the situation where I had a choice of medical schools. I feel kind of badass :ninja:)


I believe the deadline for the acceptance fee is Dec. 14/15....you should receive a letter (snail mail) about this within a week or so after receipt of the acceptance letter.

the only way that I know of to get a school to expedite their decision is to contact them and ask (politely of course)...I don't think there's anything in the rules that say that this can be guaranteed though, and some schools follow strict guidelines as to how they review the apps and in what order (or in what disorder) they dole out decisions, and many like to keep such details a secret, so your best bet is to contact them...

and yes, I recommend you go to at least one or two other interviews...you don't know how well a school may fit your needs until you actually visit other schools...
 
I believe the deadline for the acceptance fee is Dec. 14/15....you should receive a letter (snail mail) about this within a week or so after receipt of the acceptance letter.

the only way that I know of to get a school to expedite their decision is to contact them and ask (politely of course)...I don't think there's anything in the rules that say that this can be guaranteed though, and some schools follow strict guidelines as to how they review the apps and in what order (or in what disorder) they dole out decisions, and many like to keep such details a secret, so your best bet is to contact them...

and yes, I recommend you go to at least one or two other interviews...you don't know how well a school may fit your needs until you actually visit other schools...


Thanks for the reply, I'll have to call the other schools. I guess since my last interview is on December 12th and I have to decide on KCUMB by December 15th, I'll have to call LECOM and see if they can move up my interview.


Hotel is booked for my 11/16 interview! Hotel Phillips in downtown KC... stayed there before and liked it. Only 6 or so minutes from campus... whose going to be at the 11/16 interview with me?

Is there free parking on KCUMB's campus for me?

Parking is free if you park in Lot #1 in a visitor space.
 
I have one quick question for ya'll... is there any way to find out the names of the Student Ambassadors who showed us around? I've been looking online but haven't come up with anything so far...

well, I didn't get anything from them during the interview, so maybe the only way is to send an e-mail to admissions asking for their names!
 
I was really hoping it would be sooner than that. Another week of waiting.

Yeah, they had that national conference that pushed everything back.(although youI think you interviewed before me... so maybe you'll hear this coming week...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by UintasEM

I have one quick question for ya'll... is there any way to find out the names of the Student Ambassadors who showed us around? I've been looking online but haven't come up with anything so far...
well, I didn't get anything from them during the interview, so maybe the only way is to send an e-mail to admissions asking for their names!



yeah, this is what I ended up doing... hopefully I hear back soon!

(and sorry for bad formatting...)
 
Yeah, they had that national conference that pushed everything back.(although youI think you interviewed before me... so maybe you'll hear this coming week...)

When did you interview and how long did they tell you it would take to get a decision?

I interviewed 10/26 and they told us 3-4 weeks.
 
Any accepted people set up housing for next year yet? I am trying to find a place that allows a cat, not declawed, and having a hard time. Century Towers requires declawing 🙁 .
 
Any accepted people set up housing for next year yet? I am trying to find a place that allows a cat, not declawed, and having a hard time. Century Towers requires declawing 🙁 .

Aw that sucks. They gave us a "Cort" folder, or something like that. Apparently, it's a company to help you search for apartments in Kansas City. Why not give them a call? (It's the blue and white folder, if I remember correctly)
 
Hey all. I went through the interview very late last year and I was placed on the guaranteed wait list meaning that even though there wasn't a spot for me last year, I am guaranteed acceptance for this upcoming year. I see that you all are getting ready to interview? I want to share my experience. I applied to another medical school two years in a row and interviewed a total of 3 times at that school (interviewed early decision one year). I was nervous on edge and went through a total of 3 hours of what felt like intense hell. I felt like they were interrogating me. I did not get accepted. But when I went to my interview at KCUMB I immediately felt at home. They are so nice and they want you to be there. It doesn't feel like a race or competition. While I was waiting for my interview they were fitting us for our white coats and talking to us about good places to live. They even had the tv on. The students that were giving us tours sat there and told us everything we needed to know about the interviewers. The interview was so casual and conversational. My impression is that if you have been invited for an interview, they want you to be there. So, just be yourself! Read you personal statement the night before!!!! And know exactly what you put on your application. Hope this eases some of your tensions.
 
Also, does anyone know anything about student insurance? Is that something that we have to purchase on our own or is it through the school?
 
Also, does anyone know anything about student insurance? Is that something that we have to purchase on our own or is it through the school?

most likely through the school.

question: how can I get access to the Student Handbook? I tried through the KCUMB website, but it requires something called a 'Groupwise' user id and password...would I not be able to access this until I submit the first deposit? anybody on here who has already submitted the first grand get additional info from the school (like a KCUMB ID/password/e-mail account/etc.)? thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aw that sucks. They gave us a "Cort" folder, or something like that. Apparently, it's a company to help you search for apartments in Kansas City. Why not give them a call? (It's the blue and white folder, if I remember correctly)

Oh ya, I remember getting that. Thanks for the reminder.
 
most likely through the school.

question: how can I get access to the Student Handbook? I tried through the KCUMB website, but it requires something called a 'Groupwise' user id and password...would I not be able to access this until I submit the first deposit? anybody on here who has already submitted the first grand get additional info from the school (like a KCUMB ID/password/e-mail account/etc.)? thanks.

All I got was a receipt in the mail saying I've paid the check for $1000.00 on so-and-so date. Nothing else yet.

I imagine that once KCUMB receives the second deposit, we'll have access to their online features.
 
Has anyone made any arrangements for living? Has anyone thought about a roommate? I am not sure how to go about looking for one.
 
Has anyone made any arrangements for living? Has anyone thought about a roommate? I am not sure how to go about looking for one.

I decided not to have a roommate in med school (I had the roommates from hell throughout college. Seriously. It sucked), but I'm not sure about the housing prices. I looked at Century Towers and it said "call us for current pricing." That makes me nervous- if they don't write the price down, you probably don't want to know. 🙂

Anyone know what a 1 bedroom apartment costs at Century Towers?

Do people actually use the Relocation Specialists, or is it easier to make housing arrangements yourself?
 
I decided not to have a roommate in med school (I had the roommates from hell throughout college. Seriously. It sucked), but I'm not sure about the housing prices. I looked at Century Towers and it said "call us for current pricing." That makes me nervous- if they don't write the price down, you probably don't want to know. 🙂

Anyone know what a 1 bedroom apartment costs at Century Towers?

Do people actually use the Relocation Specialists, or is it easier to make housing arrangements yourself?

A one bedroom is around 630-675 last time I checked. I called today and the landlady said I could have a cat that is not declawed so I may live here after all, yay 🙂
 
hi!
is anyone here scheduled for an interview on 11/18???

I want to book my stay at the holiday inn so that the shuttle can pick me up in the morning of my interview. Can someone tell me if this is the correct one to book at??
Holiday Inn Express KANSAS CITY-WESTPORT PLAZA


801 WESTPORT ROAD, KANSAS CITY, MO 64111

Thanks in advance!! :laugh::laugh:
 
Thanks for that! That's nowhere near as expensive as I was expecting.

Also, KITTY!
http://xkcd.com/231/

I love xkcd lol. I was annoyed that everywhere required cats to be declawed I sound like a crazy person talking about my cat on here -__-


hi!
is anyone here scheduled for an interview on 11/18???

I want to book my stay at the holiday inn so that the shuttle can pick me up in the morning of my interview. Can someone tell me if this is the correct one to book at??
Holiday Inn Express KANSAS CITY-WESTPORT PLAZA


801 WESTPORT ROAD, KANSAS CITY, MO 64111

Thanks in advance!! :laugh::laugh:

Ya, that is correct.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I decided not to have a roommate in med school (I had the roommates from hell throughout college. Seriously. It sucked), but I'm not sure about the housing prices. I looked at Century Towers and it said "call us for current pricing." That makes me nervous- if they don't write the price down, you probably don't want to know. 🙂

Anyone know what a 1 bedroom apartment costs at Century Towers?

Do people actually use the Relocation Specialists, or is it easier to make housing arrangements yourself?

I got an e-mail from the lady at Century Towers. She said that the one bedroom start at $615 and the two bedrooms start at $825. The only way I am going to be able to afford that is with a roommate. Going to be cutting it pretty close. 🙁
 
Century Towers is quite reasonable and the management office staff are great. Not sure if you will find another place within a reasonable distance that is less than that. The best thing is that you really save on gas and there is no commute.
 
I got an e-mail from the lady at Century Towers. She said that the one bedroom start at $615 and the two bedrooms start at $825. The only way I am going to be able to afford that is with a roommate. Going to be cutting it pretty close. 🙁

Century Towers is quite reasonable and the management office staff are great. Not sure if you will find another place within a reasonable distance that is less than that. The best thing is that you really save on gas and there is no commute.

It sounds pretty reasonable (especially based on the price/quality of housing I had in undergrad), but I'll have to look into how I'm going to finance my education before I decide. At this point I'm heavily leaning towards Century Towers. I see that Century Towers has its own gym, is there a pool that can be used for lap swimming too?

I'm psyched to meet you all! Going on what I've seen so far on SDN, I think we're going to have an awesome class.
 
Century Towers is quite reasonable and the management office staff are great. Not sure if you will find another place within a reasonable distance that is less than that. The best thing is that you really save on gas and there is no commute.

I would live at Century towers if they allowed my Lady and I to have our two dogs and cat. Looks like it will have to be a loft or house 🙂
 
No pool at CT, but good selection of cardio equipment. There is a hot tub.

Have you asked about the 2 dogs and a cat? They are pretty good here about pets. I know of someone who has 2 dogs on my floor. It would probably depend on the size of the pets though.
 
I haven't received my secondary from KCUMB yet..(my verified AACOMAS was sent out last tuesday) but I received a letter from KCUMB that gives more info about the school and that they are pleased to help me learn more about KCUMB (general info), is that normal? how soon did you guys get the secondary after receiving this letter?
 
I haven't received my secondary from KCUMB yet..(my verified AACOMAS was sent out last tuesday) but I received a letter from KCUMB that gives more info about the school and that they are pleased to help me learn more about KCUMB (general info), is that normal? how soon did you guys get the secondary after receiving this letter?

You will be getting a secondary in a week or so I would think. If you prewrite your essay you can be ahead of the game. Good luck! This school is one of my top choices, so i'm anxiously waiting to hear from them also!
 
I called the school yesterday and was told that the committee is meeting today at noon and that letters should be arriving to students by next Friday
 
You will be getting a secondary in a week or so I would think. If you prewrite your essay you can be ahead of the game. Good luck! This school is one of my top choices, so i'm anxiously waiting to hear from them also!

Thanks!
 
hi!
is anyone here scheduled for an interview on 11/18???

I want to book my stay at the holiday inn so that the shuttle can pick me up in the morning of my interview. Can someone tell me if this is the correct one to book at??
Holiday Inn Express KANSAS CITY-WESTPORT PLAZA


801 WESTPORT ROAD, KANSAS CITY, MO 64111

Thanks in advance!! :laugh::laugh:

I'm interviewing then too and staying at the same place!!! booking my tickets now 🙂
 
I'm interviewing then too and staying at the same place!!! booking my tickets now 🙂


yay! i guess i'll see you then =)

btw, did you ever get a confirmation from KCUMB about the interview date and everything? did they send you anything in the mail?

and guess what i found.....i'm thinking about going to this after the interview since my flight isn't until 9pm that night..
http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com...?page=calendar
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, this totally might sound stupid. i am really paranoid but i just submitted my secondary for KCUMB and they sent me the summary of my secondary back and in the background information, misdemeanor or felony was blank. I am pretty sure if it was a yes/no question, I put in "no". I checked my application for a couple of times before I submitted it. After that question, even for pending misdemeanor or felony, it said that i put in "no". I am just worried if i left it blank by mistake for a yes/no answer or maybe the question was supposed to left blank unless i have to explain it. anybody has similar summary came back like mine too? or if someone still has their secondary, please let me know if it is or is not a yes/no question. thank you for your help.
 
Anyone know anything about the sub-committee? I called about my application last week and the woman I spoke with said "Hmmm, this is kind of weird, they are sending your application to be looked at by the admissions sub-committee". They meet on Nov 21, so I won't hear anything until after that.
 
I'm interviewing here this Wednesday and am REALLY looking forward to seeing this university up close! I've heard great things