KCUMB vs KCOM Biomedical Science program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stuphfunny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows which biomed program is better, the one at KCUMB or the one at KCOM? I am wanting to do biomed to strengthen my medical school application. I have already been accepted into the biomed program at KCUMB, but my brother graduated from KCOM the summer of 2014. I guess I am just torn between the two, because I know both medical schools are amazing. So if anyone has any suggestions, it would help me out a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't know too much about it but one thing to look at scholarly activity coming out of each school:

KCUMB: http://www.kcumb.edu/research/scholarly-activity/
KCOM: http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/programs/biomedical_sciences/Student_Pubs.htm
http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/faculty_staff/ResScholAct/Publications/Pubs-2014.htm

You also want to look at access to other research institutions since you can collaborate whilst in the biomed program. KCUMB is fairly close to University of Mizzou KC and University of Kansas Medical Center. Both have some very strong research opportunities.

KCOM has Truman University nearby but I don't know much about it's research strength.

So in that aspect, it depends on your goals. If you are going into the biomed program to see how you can not only strengthen your med school acceptance but your overall CV for down the road then choose the school that has the strongest scholarly activity.

In terms of curriculum. Choose the one you feel you'll succeed better at. haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That is another thing, I am not sure which one has the strongest linkage. Any recommendations on where to find an answer like that? I emailed KCOM about that and this is the response I got, "There is no direct relationship...in other words, there is no guarantee that someone will get in after completing the Masters degree. With that being said, if someone does well in the Masters program, their chances of getting into the DO program can be greatly enhanced. I have personally interviewed applicants coming from the Masters program who I would not have recommended before they went through the Masters program that I find are now good candidates. Simply put: once in the Masters program, you have the opportunity to prove you can be competitive for the DO program. It can greatly enhance your competitiveness."

If your goal is to get into medical school, go to whichever one has the strongest linkage with their respective COM.

This right here is what it's all about. These programs are made for people to get into med school, so whichever one gives you the biggest advantage in that regard is the right one.

Biomeds at KCOM had a good shot at making it into the DO program. I remember a good number of them entering classes below me.

Reactions: 1 user