SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Keep Interviewing Or Quit?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by saffron, Jan 18, 2002.

1. saffron

saffron Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    i've been lucky enough to get accepted to a couple places and have done 10 or 11 interviews...my question, should I keep interviewing at other places or stop? i know it seems obvious, just interview at the places where i would go above the places i've been accepted...but i'm not sure how i should factor financial aid into the picture

for instance, i've gotten into uchicago, which i liked above dartmouth. BUT if dartmouth gives me significant financial aid and uchicago gives me squat, i might consider going to dartmouth instead.

sooo, are there certain schools that have reps for giving good fin aid (scholarships and grants)? should i keep interviewing (like at dartmouth for instance) or stop unless the school is better than places i've already gotten into?

what is everyone else doing? thanks and good luck! :cool:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Keith

Keith Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2001
    East Bay, California
    i just finished five interviews in five states in the last five days. i'm typing you from an airport right now. what i have learned is that you can't judge a school exclusively based on what you read or by what others post here. i've been surprised by programs in both positive and negative ways once i visited. if you have an endless supply of $$$$$$, go visit more schools. if not, i'd stay w/ the game plan you mentioned in your post (only go to those you are more interested in) if nothing else, you will get to see more of the country and gain a greater appreciation for the school you end up matriculating at.

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    I'm in the same position (sort of) saffron.

I would say try to make your next interviews after you have heard back from some of these other nonrolling schools which may be some of your top choices.

5. why don't you just quit.
    it's easier, and more fun.
    besides, if you quit now, you can save yourself the trouble of FAILING later.

6. saffron

saffron Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    thanks keith and scooby :) i definitely will leave those interviews which i'm not sure about till later in the game...

but im still wondering, do any schools have reputations for giving good financial aid? im not expecting a full ride or something, but some schools definitely seem more open to giving grants, etc. (for instance, GW DOES NOT)...i'll start: i know UT Southwestern gives good fin. aid, also Harvard b/c of the loan cap they have (and no, i haven't interviewed there -- this is just what i've heard :p )

will people comment on other schools they have interviewed/been accepted at/heard fin. aid info. about?

7. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2001
    tx
    Saffron, hey I'm in the same boat, kinda. I've been accepted to an out-of-state school and I've been fortunate to get a handful of in-state (california interviews) so I was considering canceling the rest of my out-of-state school interviews; howevever, I was also curious and hopeful that just maybe one of the out-of-state schools I've yet to interview at would offer me a hefty grant.

I've pretty much decided to cancel my interviews though (the cost to travel is too much for me) plus I'm hopeful and praying that I get into a UC. If not, at least I'm guaranteed a spot somewhere.

8. mma

mma Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Dartmouth's unit loan is smaller than most schools, so your indebtedness coming out of Dartmouth will likely be less than coming out of Pritzker.

I would cancel applications/interviews at any school you would not go to over Pritzker. I originally applied to 17 schools, completed the secondary for 14, and interviewed at 9. Right before interview #7 (literally on the drive down to interview #7), I found out that I got into what had always been my top choice school. I went to interview #7 and #8 because I had already confirmed and could not cancel (#7 was on a Saturday and #8 was on the following Monday morning). After these interviews, I withdrew my application from all but these two schools (glad I went to the interviews, by the way), the two schools I am currently holding, and what ended up being interview #9, which I had not yet heard from. There were other schools on my list that I was very interested in, but for various reasons not as enamored with, even in theory, as I was with what ended up being my final list of 5. So, for me, it was not worth the money, time, ire of co-workers to go to the interviews.

Once you go to an interview, you can generally put it in some sort of rank list over other schools with money as a consideration. For example, say School A has always been your top choice and once you interviewed, its position was confirmed. Then you go to School B and you like it, but you know you would be happier at School A even if School B gives you money. School C, on the other hand, while not as amazing as School A, could be made more amazing with funds. Your list would look like this:

School A
    School C with money
    School B

Now, you have gotten into School A, but know nothing about money. Hold it. And you have not interviewed at Schools B and C. Since you know School B won't measure up (and while it is best to make such a decision after visiting the school, sometimes you just know based on the location, cost of living, etc.), drop School B. But keep School C. You see?

Of course, if you have endless money and time, keep interviewing. It is an honor to be invited to these schools and you really can best gauge the vibe of a place by being there.

Good luck!

mma