Keep running out of time on DAT practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZooZoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking practice exams on crack the dat. The problem is that I am keep running out of time constantly in every section except for Biology. For the QR section I am neve3r able to get to the Pattern folding. I have seen people say skip and go to the section your best at but how are you able to skip and go to that particular section without pressing "next" "Next" and wasting time like that and end up messing up more. The angle section takes me a long time because they all look so similar any one has any good tips for that section ?

Members don't see this ad.

For the angle ranking, there are several methods online (hill slops, laptops, and etc.) you can look at and see which ones work the best for you. Also, check out the free angle ranking generator in DAT Genius and utilize their 'Toggle Axis' button. It helped me vizuallize the 90 degrees angle and my scores went from ~6/15 to ~14/15 in the DAT BC practice exams. Hope this helps.

For the PAT section, the best advice is to simply practice, practice, practice. Keyholes should take ~1 minute each, TFE ~1 minute, hole punch ~45 seconds, angle ranking ~30 seconds, cube counting ~90 seconds (per figure), pattern folding ~1 minute. Obviously these are all estimates as certain problems are more difficult than others so they'll take longer. If you find yourself spending too much time on a problem, guess, mark, and move on as all questions are worth the same amount. There's not point in spending precious time on 1 difficult problem, when you could solve several easier ones in the same amount of time.

To skip to your best section, you will have to press next until you get to that section. The "review" button doesn't appear until you've gone through all 90 questions of the PAT section.

Reactions: 1 user