Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Keeping Eyelids Shut

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by positivepsych, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. positivepsych

positivepsych Member

Psychologist
    When I sleep at night, my eyelids remain a little open, which causes me to have extremely dry eyes when I wake up. I've tried eye drops, and even the preservative-free Liquidgels which are supposed to last longer, and it still doesn't help.

I was wondering if there are other solutions to this problem. Perhaps taping eyelids shut with a 3M Transpore-like material? How do optometrists deal with this problem?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IndianaOD

Optometrist
    You should see an good Optometrist. You should be evaluated on the severity of you dry eye before anything. They may Rx a moisture shield, taping, or thick gel, but you really should be seen. If its bad enough they may send you for a surgical consult.

4. SightIsPrecious

Post Doc

Applying preservative-free ointment before bed (like Refresh PM ung) and wearing an eyemask when you sleep. It also helps to lubricate eyes frequently during the day and take nutritional supp such as omega III capsules for dryness.

Hope this helps!

5. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008

Optometrist
    Ditto the Refresh Pm or Lacrilube at night.. Just put a line of ointment on your lower lid before you sleep..

But I agree with the other poster.. if it's getting bad, see an OD to get more advice.

6. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    SDN should not be used to seek medical advice. Please see your doctor.

Closing thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.