Keeping Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SistaKaren

Displaced Tar Heel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering: Did anyone keep some of their textbooks from their undergraduate career and find them useful? I was planning on keeping a lot of my books, but I was just checking to see if people found that to be a worthwhile thing to do.

Karen

Members don't see this ad.

I kept the ones I thought I would refer to. That included almost all science texts, except for one: inorganic chem. Boy did I hate that class, and I was never so glad to be rid of a book as when I sold off that stupid Cotton & Wilkinson text. Boy did it come back to bite me when my little sister got to college and came up with all these questions for me about crystal lattices and symmetry groups, none of which I remembered anything about by that point :(

Me again -

but with reference to bio texts, I would keep *everything*. I don't know how most med schools work, but we actually haven't had to buy texts for a couple of our courses - there's this stupid syllabus that is not nearly as clear or detailed as a text would be. I'm realizing now I should have just bought myself a physiology text, instead of trying to wade through the stupid photocopied pap they give us here :(

Furthermore, you might find out that you actually own some of the required texts already, and in that case you certainly wouldn't want to have sold those off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all schools are different. Our handouts here are excellent (for the most part), and nobody uses texts. Many use review books to supplement the lecture notes.

As for college texts, I sold 'em all. That was usually beer money for post-finals fun! :D Have I missed them? Nah. Not at all. But if you think they might help you out, and you're set as far as beer money goes, I guess you should keep them. :cool:

I kept all my undergrad books, but there was only one I found useful- a physiology book. I had some difficulty with a few concepts in Guyton, and the undergrad book explained them in different terms.

I used to keep all my books, until last week. I realized that I had only used one out of all them over a two-year period, so I sold them all (the ones they would take) last week.

I did feel bad, though. ;)

Wow..thanks everyone! My friends and I were all like, "Yeah we HAVE to keep all of our pre-med books", but now it's interesting hearing a new perspective on it. Thanks!

Karen

Anyone recommend saving anatomy book/atlas?

Human anatomy does not change much from year to year, decade to decade. :D ;) :)