Kenya

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumanyika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that since my bro's and sisters from the horn (somalia)are getting together, why not inquire; "any kenyans out there on SDN?"

Amani Pamoja!

Members don't see this ad.

Nilizaliwa kenya, lakini kazi yangu si udaktari.

Actually I'm a fighter pilot just skulking in the background

Members don't see this ad :)
Kenya damu papa hapa!!

damn!....i pressed enter by mistake.

Mrembo, hujambo? are you in medicine ama? field of interest??...what future plans in the art of healing??

baadaye.

jetguy: vipi? i'm into flying myself (nothing like the crazy Gs you pull in your kind of birds though:D). i've a Kenyan PPL and i've been telling myself to get serious and get the conversion thing going, but...life seems to have other plans for me (i'll do it though...got to get up in the air soon before i get senile).

amani!

Sijambo Lumanyika.
I am a dental student and you?

mrembo: i'm on the track to medical school, but research has been seducing me big time. i'm currently doing a comp. sci./ biochem double major (trying to kill two birds with one stone:D), my research area is proteomics/analysis and i'm a member of the international society for computational biology (they have an African branch called ABNET--for Africa Bioinformatics Network which is excellent). maybe i'll put med school off and get a masters in bioinformatics ( the plans aren't definite although i'll be sitting for my MCAT next year).

*crossing fingers and knocking on own head....er...knocking on wood*:))

I keep thinking that i could have been done a lot sooner, but you can call me greedy;). holla.

pamoja.

Semeni?

Another Kenyan here representin' . Applying to med school this year. But might defer one year to try pursue some other plots huko nyumbani.

Nice to know kuna wakenya wengine on these boards.:D

baadayez.

Kenya kipenzi changu....lol...reminds me of this song that Patcherians (Nairobi school) used to sing during rugby matches "patchi kipenzi changu.....

Nway, heri na fanaka mwaka huu wa 2004.

Actually I'm a Marine Corps pilot :) It was great to come back off leave and immediately climb into a jet and go play.

Lumanyika, where did you do your flight training in Kenya? I have a cousin at CMC aviation. I was back there for two weeks over christmas and had a blast. I was curious to know how Medical training in Kenya Contrasts to that in the states. I've heard that there are now parallel degrees where one can pay about Kshs 450,000 a year in fees true?

You're right about the parallel program. So now ppl who didn't score A- and above in KCSE can get in as well, just they have to lipa fees. Also, the application process is half as grueling as the US med school. If one does well in KSCE, then there isn't much problem. If one's family has the money, they can do the parallel program. They just have to fill in a simple application with the KCSE grades for Math/Physics, Kiswahili/English, Bio, Chem and a humanity.
There is also parallel program for pharmacy, law school and just about any program.

Kenyan medschool is around 5-6yrs, but fact that the university keeps closing coz of those strikes doesn't help much either. Once you graduate, you have to do general medicine (1yr internship) and work as a medical officer. Then after you can do post graduate (equavalent to residency) in whatever speciality.

Whether factual or not, Moi University told me about 10 mths ago that their medical students have yet to face an interuption in their studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea Stephen, until now.

All public universities, Moi Uni included, closed down sometime in November. (Nov 11th I think) Lecturers went on strike to demand the pay increase that the government supposedly promised to give.

Originally posted by Stephen Ewen
Whether factual or not, Moi University told me about 10 mths ago that their medical students have yet to face an interuption in their studies.

BUT....moi university's medical school program isn't as strong as the others, and they have far less students to worry about.

Jet_guy: i did my flying at 99's flying club next to 'Baloon safaris' at wilson airport. it was a blast (expensive though). i think the school/club was bought by three young (mid to upper 20's) aeronautic engineers before i left. that's the thing to get into man!! if i had the cash i think i'd venture into aviation training huko nyumbani...there's a menacing monopoly around there. i think they need some serious competition to make aviation more affordable.

Originally posted by mrembo
Kenya kipenzi changu....lol...reminds me of this song that Patcherians (Nairobi school) used to sing during rugby matches "patchi kipenzi changu.....

Nway, heri na fanaka mwaka huu wa 2004.

How I miss rug-lol... I remember the days when I used to skive chuo to go for Safari Sevens...

Speaking of patcherians, just out of curiosity, what high schools did everyone here attend? I was a Kabbarian, btw.

Patch representing here!. don't remind me of that rug song(s) ....i had a cousin who played for Impala club (their songs were waaay worse). yes i'm product of the Mr Boon era (never seen a cynical headmaster like that). although i was admitted to 'Upper hill' first, I bailed and went to patch. and yes, like all patcharians bila a doctor's slip, i had to play rugby in my freshman year. i ended up loving it and I still find myself chasing the pig skin during the summer with my jamaas.

love mob.

wohoo just got back from first jet solo...pulled 5g's for like 10 minutes and feel like my ribs are broken.

I was a caltex boy(with sexy legs too) :cool: aka Starehe Boys Centre 91-94

Originally posted by usmc_jetguy

I was a caltex boy(with sexy legs too) :cool: aka Starehe Boys Centre 91-94

LOL...nani atawashinda Stacherians- with the legs and shorts, yea you guys were HOT!;)

Congrats on your first solo flight:clap:

heyo - i grew up in nairobi [parents/brother born there]; now at cornell med/rockefellerU doing an md/phd. been a couple years since i've been back, hoping to get to mombasa sometime soon!

Originally posted by Habari
heyo - i grew up in nairobi [parents/brother born there]; now at cornell med/rockefellerU doing an md/phd. been a couple years since i've been back, hoping to get to mombasa sometime soon!

karibu!

how's the MD/PhD going? what's your area of concentration if i may ask?

Originally posted by daktar
LOL...nani atawashinda Stacherians- with the legs and shorts, yea you guys were HOT!;)

Congrats on your first solo flight:clap:

Lol starch (memories, memories)...i fancied a couple of caltex guys.. Bush here.

My cousin was in Bush girls finished last year and is hoping to do med in Kenya.

Lumanyika when were you in patch. I've known a number of those guys Koome Munene, Amos Gathungu, Nick Mutua...

Wasn't my first solo but it was my first jet solo. Up next we take our jets to Key west for two weeks to practice formation flying and guns in the day, and partying at Ricks at night:)

Anyone going home or has been home recently? I'm itching to rudi home and just chill kidogo b4 school starts. (i'm missing shagz yaani :( and dramaz of Nai. I gather now kanges have to dress professional and have ID tags. I wonder if mats are still aloud to play their music.

I've always had wierd notions of starting my own mat here in Stato. Paint it with all the colours, install speakers, have it cheza lingala, raga and kenyan music, probably call it "UNBWOGABLE EXPRESS " , going around picking up kenyans (beba! beba!), giving Kenyans the chance to practice their "dandiaring" skills so that if at all they're to rudi Kenya, they'll be able to 'hang' with other wanainchi.

I can just imagine it now "we, shukisha hapo Wal-mart..."

(i'm just really missing home lol)

Habari!,
Nilitoka Pangani Girls high school.,graduated in 2000.
Currently pre-pharmacy.,
Naishi Arkansas lakini naenda Chicago preety soon.....,
Any Kenyan in Chicago land Area?

Hey Guys,
I've decided to visit Kenya based on this official government website:
Kenya Website
Look forward to meeting you all!

-Olanzapine

habari njema! I'm a proud dad of a bouncing baby boy :thumbup:

olanza, that was crazy. :laugh:

Olanzapine said:
Hey Guys,
I've decided to visit Kenya based on this official government website:
Kenya Website
Look forward to meeting you all!

-Olanzapine

Ai, jamani! :laugh: Funny. Tigers in Kenya? Their were only two tigers in the whole country that used to be at the orphanage, next to Bomus. As for lions, lol...can't argue with that. A lion once pounced on our car while were driving around in L. Nakuru national park- it was out hunting, it was dark, mistook our car for an animal- :scared: that was scary and fun! :clap:

Now the tour bus is on point, only it should be called something like "Ogwangra Simba Express"

Nice to hear from fellow Kenyans in the field of Medicine. I am at WashU in St. Louis, MO, currently going into my 3rd year, oh yeah, and taking step 1 in 2 weeks !!

SEMA, mukorak! Success on the boards.

Salaamu Wenzangu wakenya

Am not a doc,laakin am an accountant ..so am i karibishwered ama?

ee,Lamunyika.am a BOON kid too...90-93 kijana!..as the name says u know my house!

patchi Kipenzii...mimi nime apa,mileele na mileele..nitakufa na wewe,patchi kipenzi hakuna mwengine duniani!(whoa,i cant beleive i finishd the song Mazee!-11 yrs later!)

LOL, Serengetihouse...memories, memories! Those are years you'll never sahau. Like I posted earlier, I was a Kabberian (formerly known as patch babes).

matumaini yangu ni ati sisi kama watu wa ulaya tutaweza kutembea kenya pia, tuone vile mashule huko yako, na tuweze kuongea nanyii wote

kwaheri

:thumbup:

Hello! I thought that I'd introduce myself on this thread because there's a strong chance that I might spend a couple of months in Kapsowar/Kijabe Hospital. This will be my first time in Africa. Getting pretty excited everytime I think about the possibility, but also pretty nervous! I'm sure you guys will see me frequenting this board more often. Ok, gotta go, class is starting up pretty soon...

James

obecalp said:
Hello! I thought that I'd introduce myself on this thread because there's a strong chance that I might spend a couple of months in Kapsowar/Kijabe Hospital. This will be my first time in Africa. Getting pretty excited everytime I think about the possibility, but also pretty nervous! I'm sure you guys will see me frequenting this board more often. Ok, gotta go, class is starting up pretty soon...

James

Hongera obecalp!! my maternal ancestral homeland is located in Kijabe. the climate is mild and the fresh produce is to die for (i'm homesick if you can tell). anyway, enjoy your sojourn. my wife and i plan to practice (infectious diseases-HIV) somewhere close to Kijabe in the future.

Baadaye.

Aucdoctobe said:
matumaini yangu ni ati sisi kama watu wa ulaya tutaweza kutembea kenya pia, tuone vile mashule huko yako, na tuweze kuongea nanyii wote

kwaheri

:thumbup:

Mafanikio mema

Serengetihouse said:
Salaamu Wenzangu wakenya

Am not a doc,laakin am an accountant ..so am i karibishwered ama?

ee,Lamunyika.am a BOON kid too...90-93 kijana!..as the name says u know my house!

patchi Kipenzii...mimi nime apa,mileele na mileele..nitakufa na wewe,patchi kipenzi hakuna mwengine duniani!(whoa,i cant beleive i finishd the song Mazee!-11 yrs later!)

I have some bad memories of Serengeti. dammit'! sometimes i still wait for the KNOCK before i begin eating my dinner :scared: trauma i tell you, *arms flailing carelessly* pure trauma...

do you have any info on how it is in Patch right now ama things haven't changed?

But Patch had one thing that few schools had; A rockin' Band....give it UP!! :thumbup: my boy played the lick from Teddy Riley's "rump shacker" on the sax and i had to bow down...literally.

lumanyika said:
Hongera obecalp!! my maternal ancestral homeland is located in Kijabe. the climate is mild and the fresh produce is to die for (i'm homesick if you can tell). anyway, enjoy your sojourn. my wife and i plan to practice (infectious diseases-HIV) somewhere close to Kijabe in the future.

Baadaye.

Hi Lumanyika! Thanks for the welcome. Is Kijabe and Kapsowar Hospital in Nairobi? Any sort of information would be much appreciated :oops: Glad to hear that the weather there is generally mild. It's funny that you mention your plan to practice as an ID doc. I've been thinking about ID throughout my first two years in med school. What is the area like? Have you ever visited the hospitals?

obecalp, Kijabe is roughly 1-2 hours north of Nairobi (maybe shorter if the roads are good). i'm aware of some doctors who work in the capital that persue locums in different rural areas and kijabe is one of them. Most of the hospitals in rural areas are municipal hospitals unfortunately i can't say anything about the ones in Kijabe or Kapsowar though. they generally do not handle severe trauma cases, but sometimes (as it is in life) time is a factor and i've seen surgeons doing miracles despite the lack of proper equipment among other things.
most of the information i'm giving you is old (i've not been to Kenya in a looong time) keep an open mind when you arrive there; the cultures and traditions change drastically even with geographical proximity. the predominant tribal languages spoken in kijabe and Kapsowar are Gikuyu and Kipsigis/Nandi respectfully. you will be relatively close to Mount Kirinyaga (Mt. Kenya) so take advantage of the view whenever the sky is clear, and the visibility is accomodating.
i'm actually planning on doing research (HIV-proteomics) and hopefully teach therefore I fall into ID by default :)
the need for your services are priced like gold due to the shortage of physician outreach in rural areas. so be prepared to WORK.while it's good to romanticize and reminise, always keep in mind that the patient-to-doctor ratio is overwhelming.

ONE

Lumanyika, where are you doing your research? I see that your sig says that you're in Kansas City, so am I! I'm currently attending KCUMB (formerly known as UHS). Talk about conincedence!

I think Kijabe is run by American missionaries. They usually have some medical students from Nairobi Uni and some from Europe (mostly England) do some rotations/medical electives there. While they may not have severe trauma cases of the kind that you'd see in the US, you will probably see other cases, maybe just as severe, but ones that you would probably never see in hospital in America.

And Lumanyika mentioned that you'd probably see doctors,both local (Kenyan) and foreign,working wonders in hospitals where facilities/equipment are limited. And I think that's one of the best things about it-learning how medicine is practiced in a completely different environment from which you've been taught.

I think you'll have an AMAZING time in Kenya, esp since it'll be your first time in Africa. Maybe i'm just biased, but Kenya is beautiful- has everything from snow capped mountains, sandy beaches, deserts, wild life, a very diverse culturue. I think you'll like it- hope you get to go.

In the meantime...

Check these websites out:

diary of a surgeon in Kijabe

Here's one account of a med student at Kijabe
med student in kijabe

Thank you, Daktar for the encouragement and the links to the websites. I'm looking forward to my time there, but at the same time, I'm getting pretty anxious!

obecalp said:
Lumanyika, where are you doing your research? I see that your sig says that you're in Kansas City, so am I! I'm currently attending KCUMB (formerly known as UHS). Talk about conincedence!

it's not UHS anymore? I did some research (bioinformatics) at Stowers last year. i'm currently doing my masters at KU. i'm hoping to go the MD/PhD way but it seems elusive...

later

Hi!
I'm going into my first year of medical school. Nice to see find other Kenyans going into this field. Lumanyika, you mentioned going back to practice in Kenya. Thats something I've always wondered about because I'd love to move back eventually. How feasible is it and how many hoops do you have to jump through to be certified at home? I'd love it if anyone has information about transitioning to practicing in Kenya.

MlleM?decin said:
Hi!
I'm going into my first year of medical school. Nice to see find other Kenyans going into this field. Lumanyika, you mentioned going back to practice in Kenya. Thats something I've always wondered about because I'd love to move back eventually. How feasible is it and how many hoops do you have to jump through to be certified at home? I'd love it if anyone has information about transitioning to practicing in Kenya.

Quite feasible in my oppinion. the best way ( in my oppinion) is to spend a few months doing your electives (probably tropical medicine) in sub-Saharan Afrika, or in the particular country you wish to eventually practice in the future (who said networking is only for computer geeks ;) ?) The sooner you establish links within the Kenyan healthcare system (or NGOs for that matter) the smoother your transition would eventually be. check AMREF's health sciences college. it's a good place to make the transition especially if you aren't able to persue tropical medicine electives during your schooling.

cheers, and best wishes in your healthcare endevours.

baadaye.

Thanks lumanyika.
Is it true that the government requres you to do a one year internship and a residency before you can become a licensed practitioner...no matter what your background is?

MlleM?decin said:
Thanks lumanyika.
Is it true that the government requres you to do a one year internship and a residency before you can become a licensed practitioner...no matter what your background is?

well, this could be different with the new Administration of the current president, Mwai Kibaki. however, I wouldn't hold my breath. As with most countries, most foreign physicians (not medical students) are required to complete testing and/or a transitional, educational period before licensure. I'm aware of some physicians (foreign and repatriating ones) who circumvented this during the previous corrupt government. they would pay to get licensed (kind of dangerous if you ask me). anyway, this site has good info. if you need to learn more.

pamoja.