Kenya

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sijui i didn't see this forum...coz i kinda started another one elsewhere...

Lakini good to know y'all are out there.

I'm presently working on my med school appl. and chilling for interviews. Proud to know that there are others representing.

btw, more power to Obama and Wangari. (Kenyan for life!)

usmc_jetguy said:
wohoo just got back from first jet solo...pulled 5g's for like 10 minutes and feel like my ribs are broken.

I was a caltex boy(with sexy legs too) :cool: aka Starehe Boys Centre 91-94

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody, Im applying to med school now. Im not kenyan but my boyfriend is. Im still considered african. Cape Verdean to be exact. Well just wanted to say hi.

Happy New Wanainchi! Let me briefly introduce myself. Patcherian on the forum probably remember the Patch machine/ Mean maroon rudge matches. Yeah, those were the days, sure strong superior rugby. Funny how we grow out of school daze rivalry. I find myself catching one or two with ex-patherians :confused:
Anyway, im pre-med majoring in microbiology and chemistry. I have been doing undergrad research for over one year now (hopefully will get published)
Also just started reading for my mcat scheduled for April 06.
Does anyone have a breakdown of med school application timeline.
Otherwise, I wish y'all a successful 2005.
And remember, "Nothing but the Best!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Sasa Maroonie

I guessed from your screename that you must have been a Patcherian. I'm repping Quabbarians :thumbup: (or former Patch babes)

Anyway, best of luck in your application. Hope you get in. We need more Kenyans repping in US med schools.

daktar said:
Sasa Maroonie

I guessed from your screename that you must have been a Patcherian. I'm repping Quabbarians :thumbup: (or former Patch babes)

Anyway, best of luck in your application. Hope you get in. We need more Kenyans repping in US med schools.

PATCHERIAN?? What an insult! Changerian is more like it... but it doesn't matter. How is med school treating you.. i mean stressing you :scared: . I hope to get in as soon as im done with my undergrad. Im currently using Kaplan study guide to chop for my mcat... any other ideas... btw what med school do you go to. im a texas res and will most likely attend a texas school.

maroonie12 said:
PATCHERIAN?? What an insult! Changerian is more like it... but it doesn't matter. How is med school treating you.. i mean stressing you :scared: . I hope to get in as soon as im done with my undergrad. Im currently using Kaplan study guide to chop for my mcat... any other ideas... btw what med school do you go to. im a texas res and will most likely attend a texas school.

Oowee, Nisamehe. aki, I meant to say Changerian. :oops: I know maroon was your colour. Patcherians wore blue. What year did you clear?

Med school is stress. But if you did KCSE then you can handle it most of the time. The material isn't hard, it's is just a lot to read, which makes the whole thing more irritating than hard. I used Kaplan and Examcrackers. And then just do as MANY practice tests and questions as possible. Then pick out Saturdays, and do your own mock MCATs, with timing and all.

daktar said:
Oowee, Nisamehe. aki, I meant to say Changerian. :oops: I know maroon was your colour. Patcherians wore blue. What year did you clear?

Med school is stress. But if you did KCSE then you can handle it most of the time. The material isn't hard, it's is just a lot to read, which makes the whole thing more irritating than hard. I used Kaplan and Examcrackers. And then just do as MANY practice tests and questions as possible. Then pick out Saturdays, and do your own mock MCATs, with timing and all.

Great advice. I still have a lot to do, but im taking it a day at a time. I cleared high school in 98. Then I spent 2 years in strath doing IMIS, then I studied MCSEs then I came to the states. Started out as a CS major, landed a technical job with verizon (still working there)....changed my major to mbio and now trying to graduate and study for mcat...
Working as a techie opened my eyes to corprate america...Not my thing... Too boring if you do if for a while.

I aslo cleared in '98! :thumbup: Knew a bunch of ppl in ur graduating class. Imagine ppl who I cleared with and did medicine in Kenya are now doctors. Kinda makes me wish I'd stayed at home... I'd be done by now! :mad:

As for me after clearing, I applied to the Nai Med school, but didn't matriculate coz I still wanted to lounge. (Party animal no. 1- one of those who would skive chuo to go for Sevens :laugh: ) I spent the whole of '99 lounging and henging. I was laughing at my friends who were stressing out in school while I was just chilling. Now I'm the one chewing stress, and they've already graduated and started their medical careers. Anyway, came to Stato mostly for adventure, graduated, lounged and worked for another year then finally decided that play time is over and I needed to get serious. So I applied to med school.

Studying for the MCAT can be frustrating. But you just have to sit yourself down and do it.

Ok...98... U r freakin me out... we probably know each other coz i had my share of the rave.
Your profile shows you've been in sdn for sometime.... May...2003.. wow! i was still in a junior college with no clue of what i wanted to do with my life. :confused:
my sis was also a quabbarian class of 96... she graduates from pharmacy school in May. At times i wish i followed her footsteps but again life has more meaning when you make your own path...
so don't feel bad about our buddies who are already "docs"... kutangulia si kufika.... i wonder if any of them is happy with their practice.
my bro did med in kenya and even practised in nairobi hospital.. he now practises here and likes it 10 times better... he had to do his residency from scratch but he says it was worth it... so maybe you are a few steps ahead..
i yapping too much :sleep:
but i think u've just become my best pal ;)

Class of 98 too...lakini from bush.

Habari Zenu?

I am not a doctor. I just respect the profession + I live on the internet.

joaopiko :thumbup:

I have done my medical school in India and passed the US medical licensing exams. I've finished one year of residency in Family Practice and one year of residency in Pediatrics in the USA.
I might be moving with my boyfriend to Kenya since he's a runner who wants to train near Eldoret and Iten.
I'm not quite sure what options I have in terms of working/ training as a physician there.
I would really appreciate if someone can give me information regarding this. You can email me at [email protected]. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
kprasad said:
I have done my medical school in India and passed the US medical licensing exams. I've finished one year of residency in Family Practice and one year of residency in Pediatrics in the USA.
I might be moving with my boyfriend to Kenya since he's a runner who wants to train near Eldoret and Iten.
I'm not quite sure what options I have in terms of working/ training as a physician there.
I would really appreciate if someone can give me information regarding this. You can email me at [email protected]. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

kprasad:

My brother-in-law is a Neuro-surgeon in Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya. If you are interested in talking to him, feel free to contact me at this location: Contact Info

Mrembo, whaich class of 98 are you referring to? You did it here in Sates ama ocha?

kprasad said:

Eldoret is a really pretty town. I used to spend my school holidays (vacation) there. They have a medical school and 2 hospitals. My uncle built the private hospital which is now run by missionaries (i think). Its just been so long, but I can definetly get you the details. The name of the hosptal is Pacifica hospital and its a great place to work in. I definetly plan to go back sometime and work at a place I saw built from ground up.
So are you from India or just went to school in India?

lumanyika said:
I thought that since my bro's and sisters from the horn (somalia)are getting together, why not inquire; "any kenyans out there on SDN?"

Amani Pamoja!
sasa, i know this thread is old but just to let you know me ni kenya damu. how far have all of you gone in the med school application process? :confused:

docknyn said:
sasa, i know this thread is old but just to let you know me ni kenya damu. how far have all of you gone in the med school application process? :confused:
hey...what is pigdin english.......

docknyn said:

I was wondering about that as well, I am applying for 2006, taking MCAT in August any Kenyan doing the same, or matriculating this year? :)

maroonie12 said:
Eldoret is a really pretty town. I used to spend my school holidays (vacation) there. They have a medical school and 2 hospitals. My uncle built the private hospital which is now run by missionaries (i think). Its just been so long, but I can definetly get you the details. The name of the hosptal is Pacifica hospital and its a great place to work in. I definetly plan to go back sometime and work at a place I saw built from ground up.
So are you from India or just went to school in India?

hi my name is george and i am surprised to read that the owner of Pacifica Hospital is your uncle. he is my very close uncle too. if you dont mind do reach me on [email protected] and i am looking forward to knowing you better cousin.

Just happened by this thread while searching for something on SDN. It doesn't show up on the list of threads, by the way, probably b/c u guyz stopped posting??
Anyway, i'm a med student from Kenya and i've just finished doing an elective/externship at KU Med, in Kansas City. Nice place. Hoping to give my step 1 sometime next year.

Holla back if yo' still out there.

thewebdoc said:
Just happened by this thread while searching for something on SDN. It doesn't show up on the list of threads, by the way, probably b/c u guyz stopped posting??
Anyway, i'm a med student from Kenya and i've just finished doing an elective/externship at KU Med, in Kansas City. Nice place. Hoping to give my step 1 sometime next year.

Holla back if yo' still out there.

Vipi ThewebDoc?
yah. i've been extrememly busy since the last time I posted on SDN (finishing up my PhD...at least trying to :idea: ). how was your experience at KU med? hope they treated you well.I used to live 2 blocks from there (+ my PI is affiliated with the institution :)). I used/use the Dykes Library a lot so we might have crossed paths.in any case, it's good that you revived this thread....coz i wasn't going to since SDN relegated us (Biomedical PhDers) to a bloody "sub-thread". holla back.

i say thewebdoc,
nimecheki blog yako, and all I have to say is "timamu" :thumbup:. We need more kenyans starting blogs (nipe links if U know of any good ones). i've been thinking about starting one hivi karibuni...as soon as the academic workload diminishes kidogo(i'm trying not to hold my breath).baadaye

lumanyika said:
Vipi ThewebDoc?
yah. i've been extrememly busy since the last time I posted on SDN (finishing up my PhD...at least trying to :idea: ). how was your experience at KU med? hope they treated you well.I used to live 2 blocks from there (+ my PI is affiliated with the institution :)). I used/use the Dykes Library a lot so we might have crossed paths.in any case, it's good that you revived this thread....coz i wasn't going to since SDN relegated us (Biomedical PhDers) to a bloody "sub-thread". holla back.

KU was too sawa :thumbup: , really deadly experience. :) Was doing a rotation in Gen. Surg. Amazin equipment, and the use of comps and technology (a hobby of mine) was something i didn't think i'd ever see.
Anyway, let me not get carried away. Yeah, i was in ****'s whenever i could. Esp. for the net. The speeds were mind-blowing! we might have crossed paths without knowing it, altho' i didn't see too many black people. I did meet one kenyan med student there though. He's in 2nd year now.

You still planning to go to med school, after your PhD and all?? Ever thought of coming back to Kenya?
Pamojaz.

lumanyika said:
i say thewebdoc,
nimecheki blog yako, and all I have to say is "timamu" :thumbup:. We need more kenyans starting blogs (nipe links if U know of any good ones). i've been thinking about starting one hivi karibuni...as soon as the academic workload diminishes kidogo(i'm trying not to hold my breath).baadaye

Thanx for the big up on the blog :D . I'll see if i can get some addresses and send you. Start one. It's a heck of a read several months or years later. And you wonder how you made it thru', or how u've "matured"...