This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCHOLAR101

Reaction score
I know all of you might say, "do something you are interested in", "do something you can get a high GPA and that "you can do whatever you want". But, I just want to get your opinion on what you think of a degree in Kinesiology before medical school. I love learning about anatomy and this program covers a lot of it, so I'm set on that. I have attached the program description below. Could anyone, who has taken Kinesiology, give me more insight into how it may have helped you on the MCAT. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-21 at 6.27.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-21 at 6.27.29 PM.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 208
I know all of you might say, "do something you are interested in", "do something you can get a high GPA and that "you can do whatever you want". But, I just want to get your opinion on what you think of a degree in Kinesiology before medical school. I love learning about anatomy and this program covers a lot of it, so I'm set on that. I have attached the program description below. Could anyone, who has taken Kinesiology, give me more insight into how it may have helped you on the MCAT. Thanks!
MCAT has little to nothing to do with Kinesiology.

Do not try to sell your degree into something more than what it is.

Your pre-reqs and certain upper level courses will help with the MCAT.

Kinesiology is usually very strong in anatomy. A lot of the clinical cases you learn about will also be very interesting.
This does not mean it will help you on the MCAT more than your pre-reqs.

Have a B.S. Bio and M.S. Kinesiology.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently studying Kinesiology, and I agree with the above poster to some extent. I have found several of my classes have been relevant to my MCAT studying including: Motor behavior, exercise physiology, biomechanics, exercise psychology, community and public heath, nutrition, anatomy, and prevention and care of athletic injuries. While I can't say that these classes have been necessarily more helpful than any pre-req class I took, I think the reinforcement of the material is useful. It looks like from your program description you can choose the "exercise science" pathway, which may include similar classes to what I have listed.

Hope this was helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to say that, at least at my undergrad, Kinesiology's pre-req's were more geared towards pre-PT and pre-nursing than pre-med. A&P doesn't usually count towards medical school pre-req's. So if you can handle taking the required courses for Kinesiology as well as all pre-med courses, then you're set.

But I do agree with you; get a degree you're interested in. I loved Biology so I got my degree in that. I know people in medical school with history, anthropology, and english degrees.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT has little to nothing to do with Kinesiology.

Do not try to sell your degree into something more than what it is.

Your pre-reqs and certain upper level courses will help with the MCAT.

Kinesiology is usually very strong in anatomy. A lot of the clinical cases you learn about will also be very interesting.
This does not mean it will help you on the MCAT more than your pre-reqs.

Have a B.S. Bio and M.S. Kinesiology.
You have an Ms in kinesiology? Would you mind if I messaged you some questions because I’m interested in getting an MS in it too .

Late to the party but I was a kinesiology major and am currently an M1 so here are my two cents...

In regards to the MCAT, it does not help at all. We’re definitely at a disadvantage in comparison to Bio and Chem majors. We also don’t get the useful reading comprehension skills that you can get from a humanities degree. With that said, I wouldn’t choose a major based on how much it can help your MCAT, as everyone will take the pre requisite courses that make up the exam anyways.

On the other hand, I feel like my musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary knowledge is noticeably stronger than the average M1. It’s also very helpful in anatomy to already have had a foundation of the origin, insertion, and actions of all the muscles. But again, I wouldn’t pick a major based on medical school preparedness because your entire major can be condensed into a week of lectures.

Reactions: 3 users