1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Know my mistakes. Ready to change. Please give advice.

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Young Premed, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Young Premed

7+ Year Member

Hi, I will be graduating this June with probably a 2.4 overall GPA in environmental science from a UC school. Now I really want to go into medicine. What should I do? I am thinking about applying to UC postbac program but I know that my gpa is a problem. I know that I am qualified for the UC postbacs since I am economically disadvantaged. Any advice will be appreciated. I am thinking of taking classes at a community college to raise my GPA enough to meet the minimum GPA requirement for the postbac then apply but I dont know if they accept classes from a cc. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lokhtar

Lokhtar Dreaming about the lions
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You didn't get 2.4 in a year, you're not getting out of it in a year. Your best bet would be to enroll as a second degree student somewhere like UNCG, and work for (maybe even get) a second degree.

4. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ouch, long road here.

You need to raise your GPA to at least 2.8, almost definitely a 3.0 (unless you can get a VERY good MCAT)

You need, after that, to get a significantly above average MCAT (which I know sucks, because at this point you've already invested a year or two and might see your career end when you find out you can't break a 25

You need, after that to do an SMP (or keep retaking classes to get to a 3.4 and apply to DO schools).

Long road, but people have done it before and you can do it if you want it badly enough. Good luck.

EXCEPTION: If you have one year where you failed everything, and the rest at a high GPA, you can retake you classes and get to a DO school fairly quickly. The more Fs you have, the faster this has the potential to be. Otherwise, though, this is a long road.