Know my mistakes. Ready to change. Please give advice.

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Young Premed, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Young Premed

7+ Year Member

Hi, I will be graduating this June with probably a 2.4 overall GPA in environmental science from a UC school. Now I really want to go into medicine. What should I do? I am thinking about applying to UC postbac program but I know that my gpa is a problem. I know that I am qualified for the UC postbacs since I am economically disadvantaged. Any advice will be appreciated. I am thinking of taking classes at a community college to raise my GPA enough to meet the minimum GPA requirement for the postbac then apply but I dont know if they accept classes from a cc. Thank you.

2. Lokhtar

Lokhtar Dreaming about the lions
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You didn't get 2.4 in a year, you're not getting out of it in a year. Your best bet would be to enroll as a second degree student somewhere like UNCG, and work for (maybe even get) a second degree.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ouch, long road here.

You need to raise your GPA to at least 2.8, almost definitely a 3.0 (unless you can get a VERY good MCAT)

You need, after that, to get a significantly above average MCAT (which I know sucks, because at this point you've already invested a year or two and might see your career end when you find out you can't break a 25

You need, after that to do an SMP (or keep retaking classes to get to a 3.4 and apply to DO schools).

Long road, but people have done it before and you can do it if you want it badly enough. Good luck.

EXCEPTION: If you have one year where you failed everything, and the rest at a high GPA, you can retake you classes and get to a DO school fairly quickly. The more Fs you have, the faster this has the potential to be. Otherwise, though, this is a long road.