Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
From Cali and wanted to know what med schools are near korean food places/korean supermarkets outside of cali. Can't cook for life but need korean food to survive so looking for schools with them. TY yall!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Any big or medium city would have Asian supermarket (real deal). Norfolk (EVMS), DC has a lot of Asian stuff (further out of the city though- you’d have to drive ). Definitely big cities

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Haha I would prefer not drive since i dont think i will have a car outside of cali (unless nearby states)

xffan624

7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Haha I would prefer not drive since i dont think i will have a car outside of cali (unless nearby states)

So you need to live somewhere with robust public transportation, a medical school, AND have korean food in the urban environment? Good luck with that. As stated above, most major urban centers have some Korean markets and food places, but they are usually in the suburbs as that's where the Korean population lives. NYC and maybe Boston(?) are the exceptions that I'm aware of, but I haven't visited everywhere.

And Norfolk (EVMS) has pretty crappy public transportation unless things have changed significantly in the last couple years.

Reactions: 2 users

Ultravox Vienna

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
No meal is more satisfying than the one you cook from scratch. Learn how to cook some korean dishes and you could survive at any school ;)

Reactions: 10 users

star-lily

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
SKMC/Jefferson is within walking distance of Chinatown, and there's also an H Mart you can get to via public transit.

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
From Cali and wanted to know what med schools are near korean food places/korean supermarkets outside of cali. Can't cook for life but need korean food to survive so looking for schools with them. TY yall!
Chicago has many excellent Korean restaurants but I’m not sure how close they are the any of the med schools. But you probably won’t be living real close to the schools and we have great public transportation.

Reactions: 1 users

Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone for the input! Currently learning how to cook but just like how in life there are things each of us cannot do, cooking is my Achilles heel TT^TT. I just do not get it but maybe being isolated and starving will change me LOL

• Haha

drgoldenboy

5+ Year Member
May 15, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks everyone for the input! Currently learning how to cook but just like how in life there are things each of us cannot do, cooking is my Achilles heel TT^TT. I just do not get it but maybe being isolated and starving will change me LOL
If you are going to learn to be a doctor, you can learn to cook. Just saying.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

spottedcory

2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2018
I'm having the same issue with a specific east asian cuisine. I think outside of Boston, NYC, Chicago, you're going to need a car, even for medical school, not just for food haha. These places also happen to have the best Asian food rip

About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My mom was an excellent cook and when I moved away to grad school, it's was learn how to cook or starve..

Just get yourself an instapot. Damn things are fantastic. Killer ribs in about 40 mins.

Failing that, get a rice cooker and a crock pot.

Get a bread machine as well.

Reactions: 11 users

clumsy.md

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Only a physician's salary can fund my eating-out habit. My personal statement talked all about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

OfMiceAndWomen

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hi from an Asian youngster who is also bad at cooking but wants to eat food from home 😭 I moved from a very Asian area in TX to a not-so-Asian place in New England for college.

Some tips I've picked up:
1) Echoing Goro, Instapot or rice cooker is necessity. Learn how to steam food/frozen goods!

2) Sourcing ingredients can be really hard if you live in predominantly white city, but if you can find a general Asian store, you can find basic ingredients and seasonings. Using pre-made seasonings or frozen goods can be really helpful too -- pack of frozen rice cakes + gochujang and you got yourself some tteokbokki

3) There are tons of resources online (read: Youtube & Facebook) for Asian food cooking that make it really easy for beginners. Maangchi and Seokyoung Longest on YouTube are my two favorites. When in doubt, look on Youtube

4) I think you'll be able to find some kind of Asian community no matter where you go -- within your med school class & in the broader city as well. It'll take some exploring and deep-diving (and possibly uber rides), but you'll be able to find great grocery stores and restaurants, even small gems, like a store with an ahjumma selling homemade kimchi 😉

Reactions: 3 users

Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I love you guys all. Even with funny comments and all. Feeling the love through all yalls responses <3.

• Love
Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Seconding learning from YouTube! I recommend Future Neighbor - they're really down to earth, easy to learn with, and the stuff they make doesn't take too long, which fits into a medical student schedule. They also run a Korean food-and-other-tools website (Gochujar; they do regular stuff but also a lot of premium artisanal stuff 😳) that you can order from with a flat shipping rate (I think internationally) if you need to buy stuff you can't find locally!

Last edited:

WildWing

SDN Staff
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
www.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Cook Korean is a very easy to follow Korean cookbook (Amazon affiliate link for SDN):

About the Ads

mdhopeful2

7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2013
Status (Visible)
NYU. Five blocks away from Korean Town by Empire State Building where the entire block is Korean restaurants plus a food court and an Hmart.

Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
I don’t see Atlanta on this forum. Three H-marts in surrounding areas, lots of Korean restaurants both downtown and Northeast Atlanta. In fact, there are so many that it takes some time to find the “authentic” ones.

Vivid_Quail

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 17, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Damn, you must be like a 4.0/527 retired astronaut to be able to confidently ignore the 100+ medical schools that aren’t in NYC, Boston, Chicago, or LA.

The concept of this thread is hilarious.

Also…”I don’t want to drive” isn’t something that can be in your vocabulary if you go to med school outside those cities and maybe a handful of others. Have you ever left the Bay Area/LA/SD? Lol. Almost nowhere in the US has usable public transport at the level you will need in med school.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just to say before y'all judge you do not know my back story of why I don't want to drive or take public transportation so if you don't have advice pls refrain from commenting

About the Ads

Vivid_Quail

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 17, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Just to say before y'all judge you do not know my back story of why I don't want to drive or take public transportation so if you don't have advice pls refrain from commenting
I'm not hating on your for not wanting to drive or take public transportation. I am just saying that is logistically impossible for 99% of medical schools.

Reactions: 6 users

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
After reading OPs post I expected this to be an absolute blood bath, instead, I see people giving actual advice. SDN has lost its edge.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
After reading OPs post I expected this to be an absolute blood bath, instead, I see people giving actual advice. SDN has lost its edge.
Because question is about food not about how to get into T20 without gap years and weak ECs?

Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That's why I asked because I wanted to know how accessible it was for someone without the luxuries of certain transportation and things like that

xffan624

7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
That's why I asked because I wanted to know how accessible it was for someone without the luxuries of certain transportation and things like that

A bigger concern than accessing Korean food is accessing outlying clinics which you may have to do as a medical student for rotations and then even more so in a future residency.

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
A bigger concern than accessing Korean food is accessing outlying clinics which you may have to do as a medical student for rotations and then even more so in a future residency.
OP can use Uber or Lyft I guess or exchange Korean food for rides from classmates :)

Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
Damn, you must be like a 4.0/527 retired astronaut to be able to confidently ignore the 100+ medical schools that aren’t in NYC, Boston, Chicago, or LA.

The concept of this thread is hilarious.

Also…”I don’t want to drive” isn’t something that can be in your vocabulary if you go to med school outside those cities and maybe a handful of others. Have you ever left the Bay Area/LA/SD? Lol. Almost nowhere in the US has usable public transport at the level you will need in med school.
Based on Korean friends I had, food is a very big part of Korean culture. Their parents tell them to eat rice at least once a day, and a lot of them crave those exotic flavors at some point. In fact, every time I try to hang out with one, we always end up getting Korean/Vietnamese food first and then do other activities. So I wasn’t surprised when OP who likely is Korean American asked this question that literally almost all the other Korean pre-meds I’ve interacted with were afraid to ask.

In terms of driving, I agree with you a bit. OP might get away with buying a car but they will likely end up having to use public transportation unless they have friends with cars or lots of money for Uber.

Sheepsheephero

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
this is very true and its not just "craving" korean food because im just being picky. my body does not feel well if i dont have korean food. I grew up mainly eating korean food because im an immigrant and even here in the states and so my body has accommodated to it.

and you guys are right. I do have to learn to travel but as of now I want to reduce the need to if i can. after all, part of choosing what medical schools you'd want to attend/can attend is based on not just stats (even tho it is a big factor) its also living standards and communities and I would say food and accessibilities to it are a BIG factor (at least for me)

May 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Haha glad I'm not the only one wondering about east asian grocery stores around medical schools :) food is so important!! I love cooking/baking for myself and other people though, haha so hoping I still have time to do that in medical school

Aug 20, 2020
my dad travels to different hospitals frequently for work, he told me that he went to the only korean restaurant close to Creighton and said it was disgusting LOL

• Wow
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.