KU Med Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jape

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow classmates, I thought I would start this thread so that we all can start getting to know each other and discussing information regarding the class of 2014. Congrats everyone for getting accepted, I look forward to meeting all of you :)

Members don't see this ad.

i look forward to pre-matriculation early in the summer. i hope to meet a lot of you then.

does anyone know the make/model of the tablet pcs we are required to get?

Congrats to all that will be starting med school next summer!! Wow its really around the corner! I think this will be a great discussion board :) ..not sure about the make and model of the tablet but I can find out!

Members don't see this ad :)
The tablet is an HP (the whole campus has a contract with them as of this past summer). Not sure what model, but they provide them we just have to fork over the cash... :)

I know it is an HP from the bookstore, in that you are correct. I thought Sandra said that we could technically buy our own as long it meets the requirements for memory, speed, etc., but that sometimes there are issues with the software--specifically with the microscope program-- that usually is pre-loaded for us in the HP tablets.

I also think the "tablet" portion is required, I am not sure of many other options in that light.

You may very well be right about that, I don't think she mentioned this in my interview group. I am going off a couple friends who are first-years this year; I got to check one of them out, it was pretty nice. He had one that was provided by the school. It sounds like the microscope program is one of the most expensive/important parts of the whole deal.

Hey everyone! So excited to meet you and get started!!!!

I am now going to ask the question I've been wondering about.... looking around on the facebook group.... are there any of you who are "slightly older?" I'll be 30 when I start next July and I'm a little self-conscious about it.

Am I going to be the "old lady" or should I just start telling people I'm 25?

:)

I am now going to ask the question I've been wondering about.... looking around on the facebook group.... are there any of you who are "slightly older?" I'll be 30 when I start next July and I'm a little self-conscious about it.

My understanding is that they always take a significant number students in the 25-35 range. (Though I wouldn't say 30 makes you an "old lady"; I've worked with a few people who were 28-32 and were working on PhD's.)

The facebook group still only has 37 or so people, so really it isn't necessarily an accurate representation of the class composition yet. I would say: 1. You won't be the only one, and 2. We are all going to be so excited/freaked out that it isn't going to be a big deal (if anyone even notices).

Well apple is coming out with their own tablet computer this February, I would love to be able to use that one. Apple makes really good products.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/09...duction-ramp-ahead-of-march-or-april-release/

I like you already, Jape! It would be really nice to simply add to my mac family. The only plus I see with going with the school's option I that it has that 4- year warranty and the school will give a loaner if your's needs to be sent in for maintenance.

Okay question...

So my parents, being super-excited about my admission got me two KUMC T-shirts for Christmas. Would it make me a huge pompous ass to wear these around campus for undergrad?

I am thinking probably yes, it would....but on the other hand I am super excited too....

Any thoughts?

Of course not! Getting accepted into medical school is a huge accomplishment! You're just celebrating! Plus its not like you're wearing a shirt that says "I got accepted to med school" :)

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just got my acceptance yesterday and I will turn 30 this spring. Old lady and old man we are NOT! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm super excited about starting this summer. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just got my acceptance yesterday and I will turn 30 this spring. Old lady and old man we are NOT! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm super excited about starting this summer. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Happy New Year!

Ha ha ha ha AWESOME!! and Congrats!!!

Okay question...

So my parents, being super-excited about my admission got me two KUMC T-shirts for Christmas. Would it make me a huge pompous ass to wear these around campus for undergrad?

I am thinking probably yes, it would....but on the other hand I am super excited too....

Any thoughts?

No, this won't make you an ass at all :)
Right after I got my letter I ran out and bought one of those nice embroidered sweatshirts that says Kansas and "Medicine" underneath. I wore it for our annual silly Christmas card picture and then sent it out to everyone.

So if wearing your t shirt makes you an ass, I'm a HUGE ass. :laugh:

Right after I got my letter I ran out and bought one of those nice embroidered sweatshirts that says Kansas and "Medicine" underneath. I wore it for our annual silly Christmas card picture and then sent it out to everyone.

:laugh:

I'm right there with you all! I'm going up to the KUMed bookstore to exchange some Jayhawk scrubs that I got for x-mas. I think that I'm going to pick up a JayDoc shirt while I'm there. I'm having some friends over for the KU game tonight, thought that would be a good way to tell them!

(although I still go and check the letter about every hour to make sure the acceptance hasn't turned into a rejection)

:laugh:

(although I still go and check the letter about every hour to make sure the acceptance hasn't turned into a rejection)

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!:laugh:

Another "old lady" here... I'll be 29 when we start. We improve with time, like a fine wine, right? I'm ready to rock med school as a thirtysomething!

I have the d@mn letter hung up on my refrigerator and I STILL re-read it to make sure I "got it right". :laugh:

Congrats FutureDoc! Yes, 30 is the new 20!!

haha! That is crazy because I do the same thing. Maybe not every hour, but at least once/wk I reread it and smile.

3 months later I'm finally getting my $50 deposit in (I almost forgot). Hope you all are more on the ball.

haha! That is crazy because I do the same thing. Maybe not every hour, but at least once/wk I reread it and smile.

3 months later I'm finally getting my $50 deposit in (I almost forgot). Hope you all are more on the ball.

I'm actually considering buying a frame for it... is that sad? I just can't believe that, after all the work that I have done, it finally happened.:eek:

It's funny, because when Dean McCurdy was talking with us during the interview, she said that they weren't doing the online notification this year because they had a bunch of people calling in last year asking if it was real or not. All the phone calls overwhelmed the office of admission. At the time, I thought "what a bunch of weirdos". Now I just want to call into the office and make sure that it is real! :laugh:

Maybe we should make a sub group of "KU Med Class of 2014 - the thirtysomethings":eyebrow:

I'm just glad that I'm not still in school, so I can't do anything this spring to mess it up. I can sit back, relax, and just work! Is anybody planning trips for the summer already?

Wow. What a bunch of random, disjointed thoughts. Oh-well.

Hope everybody has a Happy New Year!
-RT2MD

Okay, excellent. I am glad I am not the only one super excited about T shirts here. I have been wearing the shirts and not feeling like an ass. Also, I wore one for a Christmas picture with my family too...

I got my deposit in recently also.

Has anyone gotten in touch with the financial aid office yet? I emailed them and they said we are free to drop by anytime during business hours (they close at 4:30pm I think) to ask any questions, I think I might go before semester starts. Anyone doing anything other than filling out a FAFSA as of Jan. 1?

Also, Happy New Year everyone!!

I hope everyone here, thirtysomethings and all, has a relaxed, happy, and safe New Year celebration! What's on the agenda for everyone?

Congratulations all of you!! You worked hard for this-- let yourself bask in your success before we get down to business!

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten in touch with the financial aid office yet? I emailed them and they said we are free to drop by anytime during business hours (they close at 4:30pm I think) to ask any questions, I think I might go before semester starts. Anyone doing anything other than filling out a FAFSA as of Jan. 1?

Also, Happy New Year everyone!!

I also need to go to the financial aid office. I just have forgotten the lady's name that did the presentation and I need to locate my "stuff" to go in there with. I think I am going to apply for the KMSL program. Seems like a really good deal.

Yes, The Thirtysomethings sounds awesome. :laugh: ha ha

Hi! Don't worry, you are not alone! I turned 30 this month...Cheers to the old folks :)

Hello fellow classmates, did you all enjoy your holidays?

To answer the question about the KUMC sweat shirt, I agree with everyone else, and that it is ok to represent your new school. I mean school spirit is important, and you worked hard to be able to wear that sweat shirt. Personally I am going to buy one for my girlfriend and I. My question is if you guys think it is douchey or pompus to have a KUMC car banner on your back windshield of your car? I have been debating this issue with my friends:confused:

As a third-year student at KUMC, I just wanted to say congratulations to all of you! Medical school is hard, but very worth it. Good luck as you get ready to start this summer.

OK this thread is moving slow. :)
So why don't we all introduce ourselves with where we went to school, majors, what we like to do for fun, and what our medical interests are?

I'll go first:

School/Majors: Missouri - Rolla BS '02 and MS '04 in Engineering. KU Lawrence & Edwards for post-bacc.

Hobbies: riding horses, pets, hanging out with my husband - he's a tech geek so we watch a lot of movies, cooking, and reading. Every now and then I get to the gym, too. Right now I also work full-time.

Interest: I am leaning toward primary care or emergency med. Although I've spent a lot of time with general surgeons, and that fascinates me as well. It's probably going to come down to spending time on the wards and seeing what is the best fit with my lifestyle.

Good call Engineer.

I guess I'll go next then:

School/Major: Kansas State - BS '10 in Microbiology (just gotta glide on through this last semester)

Hobbies/Interests: Guitar, music, movies, cooking, video games, gardening, hanging out with my girlfriend. (Not necessarily in that order :)) Since I have the time this coming semester I plan to try to get in slightly better shape; I will still be working around 20 hours per week in a lab as well.

Medical Interest: I am trying to remain completely open and see how things go. If I had to pick today, I would pick general surgery.

Great idea, I'll go next:

School/Majors: KU '03 - BA in Psychology, Wichita State for post-bacc coursework

Hobbies: I love to cook and spend time with my family (husband & 2 kids). I enjoy music theater, getting out with friends, and watching reruns of The Office. I quit my job in '08 to devote my life to getting into med school... now that I'm there, I'm just wrapping up loose ends, preparing to move, and enjoying my kids knowing that I'll never have this much time to spend with them again.

Interest: I am definitely interested in primary care, but at this point everything is fascinating to me. If I had to pick this second I'd go with peds. I'm sure I'll change my mind with every clinical rotation and have to make a paper-rock-scissors decision :laugh:

Looks like we should start a cooking club :)

Alright-

School/major: Kansas State '09 (Go CATS!) B.S. Biology and minor in Spanish - I was a reapplicant this year.

Hobbies: traveling, cooking, fist pumping, parties, bars, working out, watching sports, hanging with friends. I work a ton right now for the hospital and med center, and I am very ready for school to start.

Interest: Not completely sure but definitely not peds or ob/gyn. I like internal med, emergency, and surgery.

Last edited:
So has anyone heard anything more about financial aid stuff?

I am still figuring out whether to do my FAFSA as an independent or a dependent (dependent = report parents income, stay on their health insurance, no chance at need based financial aid, no money from parents; independent = don't report their income, get kicked off their health insurance, still no money from parents, maybe a shot at need-based aid). Anyone else in a similar situation?

I am going to try to get in to talk with someone from financial aid this week.

Maybe not totally similar, but I have to be an independent since I'm married and our income gets reported as one thing. But because of that salary my husband makes, however small, I have no chance with need based aid. BUT, I get health insurance.

Will you really get kicked off your parent's health insurance? I filed as an independent during undergrad and didn't get kicked off. A lot of times the IRS and the health insurance don't talk to each other....

Oh yeah, and I have "assets" - meaning, a house. So how does that work? Do they factor in home equity as part of your EFC?

This is annoying.

"Luckily" for me, I have no assets!

As to the health insurance, we checked with United and I will in fact be kicked off if i file independent. It is not the same for every carrier/plan, but in my case I would be. (I am not entirely clear as to how the insurer finds out.) At any rate, I really just need to figure out the benefit of only having to report MY income, which from 2009 is quite low since I have been in school the whole time.

I am going to com to KC on Friday to get some of this sorted out, it is very annoying.
---------------------------------
Okay, I misunderstood. If I file as an independent on my FAFSA this year, I get kicked off the plan when my parents report their taxes and can't claim me as a dependent NEXT year. So I am good for at least the rest of 2010, then I would have to switch to the school plan. The main thing I was concerned with was having a gap in between filing a FAFSA and starting on KUMC's plan.

Last edited:
Have you guys received your financial aide packets already?

Okay, I misunderstood. If I file as an independent on my FAFSA this year, I get kicked off the plan when my parents report their taxes and can't claim me as a dependent NEXT year. So I am good for at least the rest of 2010, then I would have to switch to the school plan. The main thing I was concerned with was having a gap in between filing a FAFSA and starting on KUMC's plan.

Moose - don't forget you can always COBRA United's insurance so there isn't a gap. It's expensive, but I've had to do it before. The second there's a gap in coverage, they will hit you for pre-existing conditions.

Moose - don't forget you can always COBRA United's insurance so there isn't a gap. It's expensive, but I've had to do it before. The second there's a gap in coverage, they will hit you for pre-existing conditions.

Yeah, I know. I am trying to avoid having to pay that kind of money to avoid a gap though; it should work out fine the way it is. I get to stay on my Dad's plan until the spring 2011 semester when I will have to switch to the plan offered through KUMC; I am going to verify with them later this week that I can make that transition a smooth one.

Oh yeah, and I have "assets" - meaning, a house. So how does that work? Do they factor in home equity as part of your EFC?

This is annoying.

Annoying is an understatement!

I'm guessing that they do somehow factor in all "assets"-- home equity, cash savings, even RETIREMENT savings-- since you're required to disclose this information.

How much sense does it make to penalize someone for being responsible?!:mad:

Yeah, I know. I am trying to avoid having to pay that kind of money to avoid a gap though; it should work out fine the way it is. I get to stay on my Dad's plan until the spring 2011 semester when I will have to switch to the plan offered through KUMC; I am going to verify with them later this week that I can make that transition a smooth one.

I'd make sure you can be added to KUMC's insurance come the spring. Since the school is on a group plan, there are probably enrollment periods. However, being kicked off your parents' plan may be considered a "qualifying event."

In any event I think it would definitely be in your best interest to file independently- unless Dad is going to fit the bill. You'll be able to receive not more money necessarily, but 'better' money.

Moose - did you get to the Financial Aid dept on Friday? Did you find out anything good? I'm going to go this week.

Do you think it would be bad if my husband tagged along to that? I don't need him there, but since he is worried about taking on debt (Fully supportive, just scared of the price tag) I am wondering if he should go. Is that inappropriate?

Tracia

Laryngo-

I spoke with the main administrator in charge of the insurance plan. There is open enrollment for a month at the beginning of semesters, but you can enroll at any time. (The only downside is they don't prorate, so you pay for the entire semester regardless of when during the semester you enroll). Dad is definitely not footing the bill; I just submitted actually, as an independent.

Engineer-

I did get there, just after they closed. >< I got lucky and did talk to someone who has gone in; evidently she didn't learn much. I feel okay about it after that email last week about getting the full on financial aid info packets out this month, so I am going to wait for that. I would think bringing a spouse would be fine, especially given that it DOES have a big impact for both of you; might as well both be on the same page.

It sure is quiet in here..... I'm stalking this thread so I know what to expect for next year. :D Hopefully you guys won't be too busy to post a few things in here when classes start up. :smuggrin:

School/Major: University of Kansas '10 - BS Cell Biology

Hobbies: College sports and more college sports

Pre-concieved interest that will probably change: Ortho

I have also been looking into the Philmont summer program through ku med and the wilderness medicine 3/4th yr rotations offered by KU/Philmont and another one by NOLS. Going into EM with that experience and maybe getting a fellowship in wilderness medicine sounds tempting to me. But, who knows..

Looking forward to meeting you all in July. Oh, what are everyone's plans for the abbreviated summer? I had thought of working but I dont really want to find a job knowing that I will have to leave by July 22nd. Im considering being lazy, playing alot of golf and maybe taking a trip or two until then..

Oh, what are everyone's plans for the abbreviated summer? I had thought of working but I dont really want to find a job knowing that I will have to leave by July 22nd. Im considering being lazy, playing alot of golf and maybe taking a trip or two until then..

Meh, I've got to keep working to pay the bills. But it's only a 9-5 M-F thing and I think July 2 will be my last day. That gives me plenty of time to do a ton of riding (equestrian) this spring and summer. And then in July I'll take a long vacation.

Although that may be a bad idea... I'm home today because we're having some repairs done and I'm hanging out with the contractors... bored to tears. Nothing even on TV. Too cold to go see my horse. Blah.

Is anybody else feeling "stuck" right now? I'm just SO BORED with life in general and July seems so far away!!!

Meh, I've got to keep working to pay the bills. But it's only a 9-5 M-F thing and I think July 2 will be my last day. That gives me plenty of time to do a ton of riding (equestrian) this spring and summer. And then in July I'll take a long vacation.

Although that may be a bad idea... I'm home today because we're having some repairs done and I'm hanging out with the contractors... bored to tears. Nothing even on TV. Too cold to go see my horse. Blah.

Is anybody else feeling "stuck" right now? I'm just SO BORED with life in general and July seems so far away!!!

I know the feeling. Can't wait to start either. I will work until sometime in June I think, and then maybe a vacation in Vegas or Cancun.

I know the feeling. Can't wait to start either.

From a first year at KU: enjoy the summer. While school is great, the novelty wears off quickly :).

Welcome to KU!

This summer I will participate in the KUMC Prematric program, hopefully it will ease my transition for the school year...hahaha

Engineer2MD, where do you ride, I love to ride equestrian as well. I haven't done it in a while though because we had to put my horse to sleep :mad: Long story....