KYCOM Comlex Level 1, and 2 first time pass rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantfood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried looking on their website, but they only offer their level 3 pass rate, which concerns me. Are their first time pass rates for level 1 and 2 low so they don't post it? If you happen to know the numbers, please let me know. :)

Members don't see this ad.

All schools are required to put level 3 scores down, but not the first two (not sure if this has changed recently). However, it has bugged me that they don't put down their level 1 and 2 pass rates down. It really should be a requirement.

I think that we're required to post 1st time pass rates, don't know about scores, but I'll be damned if I can find the info anywhere on our webpages.

Some of you diligent young people might do us all a favor if you can come up with a list of URLs for this data, if you have the spare time.

All schools are required to put level 3 scores down, but not the first two (not sure if this has changed recently). However, it has bugged me that they don't put down their level 1 and 2 pass rates down. It really should be a requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that we're required to post 1st time pass rates, don't know about scores, but I'll be damned if I can find the info anywhere on our webpages.

Some of you diligent young people might do us all a favor if you can come up with a list of URLs for this data, if you have the spare time.

Sorry meant to say they are required to put their level 3 pass rate. However, I could not find their first and second level pass rates anywhere. It is probably because they have not updated their sites. Most schools are pretty diligent about putting pass rates and some are exemplary about actually putting their most recent pass rates. However, there are a few that seem to not put them on at all.

I will try to see what I can find on my end.

Sorry meant to say they are required to put their level 3 pass rate. However, I could not find their first and second level pass rates anywhere. It is probably because they have not updated their sites. Most schools are pretty diligent about putting pass rates and some are exemplary about actually putting their most recent pass rates. However, there are a few that seem to not put them on at all.

I will try to see what I can find on my end.
I emailed the school asking about their comlex pass rate and they just directed me to the website, which was absolutely no help. I responded telling them that complex level 1 and 2 aren't up. still waiting on a reply

Reactions: 3 users

I did a pretty extensive search for level 1 means/pass rates for a few schools (KYCOM included) a while back and it ended up being mostly fruitless. The only thing I could find on them was their level 3 pass rate, which I wasn't impressed with.

I know how we're doing with I and II, but haven't a clue with Level III!

I did a pretty extensive search for level 1 means/pass rates for a few schools (KYCOM included) a while back and it ended up being mostly fruitless. The only thing I could find on them was their level 3 pass rate, which I wasn't impressed with.

@runthiscity

Here it is from a second year here at kycom

"4. Board pass rates are meh. Something like 85% for level 2 and level 2 CE, 98% for level 2 PE. However, a lot of those data are from when they had a much smaller class size (n=67ish). They post a bunch of performance indicators in the school and you can see how your class on average compares to previous years, and so far each year has improved over the year before it. That doesn't make a huge difference, but it's a difference nonetheless. They have quite the plan to make sure no one fails though. We have one-on-one meetings with Dr. Harris (who is awesome) on coming up with a study plan. They have you start taking diagnostic tests over winter break of 2nd year (probably to scare people into studying). My opinion on the matter is you're either going to step up to the challenge or you're not. I haven't really had a problem balancing school studying and board studying this semester, as long as I study the organ system we're covering in path or whatever. I took the initiative to find a few fourth years (one MD, one DO) who both did exceptionally well on their exams (USMLE, and USMLE and COMLEX, respectively) to get some recommendations. The information on how to succeed is all provided to you, I just don't think everyone gets that. Now, I haven't taken COMLEX or USMLE yet so we'll see if my tune changes at all come July, but so far I've had nothing to indicate I'm at risk of failing. Ok... end rant."

Last edited:
Yeah I can see why with those comlex level 2 pass rates, it amazing me that this school wasn't put on probation...

Last edited:
Yeah I can see why with those comlex level 2 pass rates, it amazing me that this school wasn't put on probation...
Holy moly! Did I just see multiple years in the 50's and 60's for Step 2 CE? COCA really is a joke. They only had 70ish students, how in the world can they not get them to pass? I guess their 90% plus level 2 PE makes up for it all tho right :p ?

Holy moly! Did I just see multiple years in the 50's and 60's for Step 2 CE? COCA really is a joke. They only had 70ish students, how in the world can they not get them to pass? I guess their 90% plus level 2 PE makes up for it all tho right :p ?

Tbh any school that passes below 90% needs to be looked into. But to be repeatedly hitting sub 70s...

Members don't see this ad :)
A low step 2 pass rate is more reflective of the students imo. Once you're a third year step 2 is pretty much on you. Even if you don't learn much from rotations it's fine because you should be studying each rotation regardless

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! But it shouldn't just come down to extra student effort. If a school is consistently failing to prepare its students to even pass the steps, they need to be looked into. I agree with the above sentiment that anything below 90 should be looked at, and probation for below 80%. Its ridiculous to think you let students get thru their entire 3rd year and they can't even pass step 2. The school said they were ready to take the exam, if students consistently score that low, something is wrong with the program.

retaining useful info (not me): KYCOM used to have 10% comat and 90% preceptor grading. Also they used to give only 4 weeks study time for comlex 2 ce/ pe. Now it's 50% comat and 50% preceptor and they get 8 weeks to prepare for the comlex level 2.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I'm confused how anything you said is bad and relates to bad comlex step 2 score. Not trying to be mean and I wouldn't judge an entire class. But our school only gives two weeks off to study for step 2. Step 2 studying is a year long ordeal. So I don't blame that one on the school. 4 weeks off is really good for ce

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! But it shouldn't just come down to extra student effort. If a school is consistently failing to prepare its students to even pass the steps, they need to be looked into. I agree with the above sentiment that anything below 90 should be looked at, and probation for below 80%. Its ridiculous to think you let students get thru their entire 3rd year and they can't even pass step 2. The school said they were ready to take the exam, if students consistently score that low, something is wrong with the program.

retaining useful info: KYCOM used to have 10% comat and 90% preceptor grading. Also they used to give only 4 weeks study time for comlex 2 ce/ pe. Now it's 50% comat and 50% preceptor and we get 8 weeks to prepare for the comlex level 2.

Eight weeks to study for PE and CE!!!!! Only four weeks, how is that an "only?" OMG, my school gave us ZERO weeks and our pass rate was way way way way higher. We only had about a month at most for level 1.

A low step 2 pass rate is more reflective of the students imo. Once you're a third year step 2 is pretty much on you. Even if you don't learn much from rotations it's fine because you should be studying each rotation regardless

I appreciate where you're coming from, but partially disagree. If your school didn't prepare you well for Level 1 and you can barely scrape together a passing score, you will be at a significant disadvantage for Level 2 CE.

Eight weeks to study for PE and CE!!!!! Only four weeks, how is that an "only?" OMG, my school gave us ZERO weeks and our pass rate was way way way way higher. We only had about a month at most for level 1.
I completely agree, note that I was not the one who said it as I do not not goto KYCOM
I appreciate where you're coming from, but partially disagree. If your school didn't prepare you well for Level 1 and you can barely scrape together a passing score, you will be at a significant disadvantage for Level 2 CE.
Well their pass rates for level one were 70's and 80's so I would say they weren't doing good there either.

I completely agree, note that I was not the one who said it as I do not not goto KYCOM

Well their pass rates for level one were 70's and 80's so I would say they weren't doing good there either.

One thing KYCOM does well is keep their tuition affordable relative to other DO schools. I actually enjoyed my interview, wasn't crazy about driving there. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but is possible KYCOM doesn't get very competitive applicants and that being the reason for the low pass rate? In other words, could KYCOM being teaching adequately and something else be causing their low board pass rates?

Not really. Most of what is tested on step 2 is different from step 1. Similar concepts maybe, but step 2 is stuff you learn during third year.

Not really. Most of what is tested on step 2 is different from step 1. Similar concepts maybe, but step 2 is stuff you learn during third year.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm can completely tolerate and respect your viewpoint, I don't need a safe space.

There is a fair amount of Level 1/Step 1 that requires disease recognition (or is at least helpful). Even if the correct answer to the Level 2/Step 2 question is based on information learned third year, a good understanding of preclinical topics will help one identify the topic and relevant information in the question stem.

What I'm trying to state is that if you enter 3rd year and have to study some of the basic qualities of diseases, you're behind the game because some of your time should be spent more on next best step or management type questions.

What up, 3rd yr at KYCOM. I know the kycom student who posted that. And our scores were the BOMB (close to 100% pass rate Level 1) because we worked our freaking asses off as a class, and pretty much ignored everything the administrators told us. It is common knowledge at KYCOM that "if it makes sense, it will not happen." Also if you take this information to bash our school, or the students who try to get residencies from our school... i will find you and take note that we are all in this thing together.

To add to scrub lyfe... you are correct. My board scores were 250+ and 700+ from KYCOM. So it comes down to the student and how they use resources.

Reactions: 2 users
What up, 3rd yr at KYCOM. I know the kycom student who posted that. And our scores were the BOMB (close to 100% pass rate Level 1) because we worked our freaking asses off as a class, and pretty much ignored everything the administrators told us. It is common knowledge at KYCOM that "if it makes sense, it will not happen." Also if you take this information to bash our school, or the students who try to get residencies from our school... i will find you and take note that we are all in this thing together.

To add to scrub lyfe... you are correct. My board scores were 250+ and 700+ from KYCOM. So it comes down to the student and how they use resources.
Who dis?

Comlex-Scores.png

performance - University of Pikeville

Reactions: 4 users