Lab Consulting Companies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience regarding lab consulting companies? (ie Accumen, Lighthouse) My hospital system is looking at dumping money on one of them even after a successful in-house blood utilization and LEAN project. I feel like they're just going to tell us what we already know about our lab. Are any of them actually worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

The "consultants" we have used are worthless for AP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A local hospital that wasn't mine used one of these groups (or something similar), and it just messed things up for them. They recommended to the hospital a whole bunch of things that just made running the lab much more difficult - all in the name of "efficiency" and "cost-effectiveness".

Our organization used two consulting companies after a bad inspection at an ancillary facility. Both were annoyingly opportunistic and minimally helpful. But they sure got paid handsomely. They routinely briefed leadership outside the lab (C-suite and administrators), and virtually everything they proposed as improvements and best practices had been previously proposed by our own quality improvement and compliance teams. When proposed through our internal processes, those recommendations had been ignored. But the consultants' recommendations were viewed as gospel. What BS. But it showed me how little respect some doctors have for pathologists.

Our organization used two consulting companies after a bad inspection at an ancillary facility. Both were annoyingly opportunistic and minimally helpful. But they sure got paid handsomely. They routinely briefed leadership outside the lab (C-suite and administrators), and virtually everything they proposed as improvements and best practices had been previously proposed by our own quality improvement and compliance teams. When proposed through our internal processes, those recommendations had been ignored. But the consultants' recommendations were viewed as gospel. What BS. But it showed me how little respect some doctors have for pathologists.
I have experienced this before, and IMO is a sign of bad leadership.

If your management does not trust your insights within your realm of expertise, you have a problem.

Reactions: 2 users