Lab Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k7i5t3n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question -- I completed my B.A. in Sociology in 2002 and during my undergrad took general chem 1 and 2 with lab and organic chem 1 with lab. After working for the past 5-6 years, I have decided to go back to school and try for med school.

I am currently in a postbacc program and going through all the standard premed courses (four semesters of chem with labs, two semesters of physics with labs, and a couple of biology courses with labs) and was hoping I could skip retaking the general chem 1 and organic chem 1 labs and just take the lectures over. I received A's in my undergrad about 8 years ago and don't feel that I'll need the labs for the MCAT.

Any thoughts on not retaking these two labs? Is this a stupid idea? Thanks ~

Members don't see this ad.

Not retaking labs sounds fine to me.

Retaking chem & ochem lectures for MCAT prep might be overkill, particularly since you already aced them. It won't hurt you to retake these, but personally I'd try to take different classes (biochem, microbio, stuff like that) rather than retaking chem & ochem.

The average premed curriculum is barely adequate MCAT prep. I suggest that you take a practice MCAT early early early as in this afternoon (www.e-mcat.com) and see where you're at. It's mostly critical thinking, so if you find that your verbal score for example is lower than you'd expect, then that's where you need to do work vs. more coursework in chem/ochem/phys/bio.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.