Lab rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillips101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know whether there are any clinical psychology PhD programs that has a lab rotations structure? In many other departments, students can work in 2-3 labs before deciding on a primary one. I have yet to see this in clinical psych. Is it even heard of in the field?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of this happening in biology/chemistry/etc., but never in psychology. Most research-focused programs accept prospective students into labs from the beginning, as far as I'm aware... I know a few programs where people choose an advisor in first year, but I don't believe they have lab rotations; instead, people concentrate on coursework and reading in order to approach a prospective advisor by the end of first year. Has anyone heard of programs that operate differently?

We are able to do this in my program, though most people stick to one advisor. Several fculty members work together on projects, so it is not unheard of to do work for multiple labs each semester. PM me for details.