Lab Techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VandyDerm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would the MCAT test stuff like Micrscopy and Visualizing Cells i.e.-freeze fractiure, negative staining, fluorescence microscopy, fractionation, etc... I guess chromotography, electrophoresis are really played out fundamental labs, but I am thinking more about upper level labs.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Would the MCAT test stuff like Micrscopy and Visualizing Cells i.e.-freeze fractiure, negative staining, fluorescence microscopy, fractionation, etc... I guess chromotography, electrophoresis are really played out fundamental labs, but I am thinking more about upper level labs.

Thanks
You may have passages explaining those types of lab techniques, but for the most part if its not something you would see in first year biology its not something you have to know coming into the MCAT.

If they do present it in a passage they will explain it thoroughly and only ask you questions that you could answer by knowing the basics. However, I would have to admit it would be helpful to know the topic beforehand but learning upper div lab technique will fall on the lower end of the low yield spectrum. Focus mostly on the other techniques you've described... some of the passages that do come up though are: western blotting, southern blotting, ELISA... but usually its just electrophoresis, separation/purification, distillation, filtration, petri dish mediums, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

I pretty much fall right in step with the previous two posters. They give you a great deal of information in the passages. You need to be familiar with the vocabulary and a working knowledge of the basics can be a great help. But you don't need to be an expert to get these questions right.

I would suggest, if you have time and access, that you look at the lab techniques section of the BR organic chemistry book and the lab passages in the BR biology supplement. I'm pretty sure you can find a friend with them, so there is no need to make a special purchase.

The orgo book goes into a good amount of general lab technique logic. The biology passage set is a bunch of weird passages based on a couple screwy twists on standard lab techniques or based on advanced lab techniques, but in each case, the questions are either basic logic or the crux of the question can be extracted from the passage.

I'm not sure what other companies have, but I'm sure you can find weird lab passages from a few different places. It is essential that you do these type of passages more than any other type, because once you get used to them, the real MCAT will feel so much easier.

I do remember a non-passaged based question that relied on knowing what an Rf was regarding chromatography. I missed that question simply cause I hadn't reviewed it yet. Now that I have, it's a really easy question.