Labs Gone Online - What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valhallaMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school announced a "hybrid" system of learning this fall. Of course, I think this is best as having loads of people on campus is NOT smart but things like labs, studios for art students, etc. need to be in person. I thought my lab sections would be safe when I saw this announcement about going hybrid. My school does these with less than 25-30 people, so social distancing is possible. Masks will also be required.

I just looked at my school schedule, and ALL of my stuff is online. Even my lab that currently has 10 people enrolled. To my understanding, MD schools don't usually accept online pre reqs and haven't seemed to change their minds in the pandemic.

Do you guys think I'll end up having to retake these classes if I just go ahead and do them now? I'm only a rising sophomore, so do I move forward and hope that there is some kind of pass for this academic period once I'm ready to apply? Or should I see if it's possible for me to take a semester off?

Members don't see this ad.

My school announced a "hybrid" system of learning this fall. Of course, I think this is best as having loads of people on campus is NOT smart but things like labs, studios for art students, etc. need to be in person. I thought my lab sections would be safe when I saw this announcement about going hybrid. My school does these with less than 25-30 people, so social distancing is possible. Masks will also be required.

I just looked at my school schedule, and ALL of my stuff is online. Even my lab that currently has 10 people enrolled. To my understanding, MD schools don't usually accept online pre reqs and haven't seemed to change their minds in the pandemic.

Do you guys think I'll end up having to retake these classes if I just go ahead and do them now? I'm only a rising sophomore, so do I move forward and hope that there is some kind of pass for this academic period once I'm ready to apply? Or should I see if it's possible for me to take a semester off?
No -- don't worry. It's a global pandemic for crying out loud!!! If you are going to a regular 4-year university, and they moved labs online due to the situation, med schools will understand and will not make you retake them or sit out for a semester (or a year, or more!). It's not like you're seeking the lab out at the University of Phoenix!! You'll be fine. Just go with the flow, or try to rearrange your schedule so that you don't have to take the class with the lab next semester.

Reactions: 1 user
No -- don't worry. It's a global pandemic for crying out loud!!! If you are going to a regular 4-year university, and they moved labs online due to the situation, med schools will understand and will not make you retake them or sit out for a semester (or a year, or more!). It's not like you're seeking the lab out at the University of Phoenix!! You'll be fine. Just go with the flow, or try to rearrange your schedule so that you don't have to take the class with the lab next semester.

Thank you - I hate uncertainty and it's difficult to reassure myself that we are all doing our best during a global ****ing pandemic. It would be unreasonable for them to still expect everything to be in-person or for students to defer, but without a statement from the AAMC about it I felt unsure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you - I hate uncertainty and it's difficult to reassure myself that we are all doing our best during a global ****ing pandemic. It would be unreasonable for them to still expect everything to be in-person or for students to defer, but without a statement from the AAMC about it I felt unsure.
I am going through the same exact thing, and am doing exactly what I advised. I'm taking one class with lab online that I couldn't move, and I am going to wait and see what happens in the spring with the another one, switching out an online class with lab for another one that I could take in person.

AAMC cannot, and will not, make a statement because it is not up to them. It is up to each individual school.

Given that pretty much all med schools have moved interviews online for the upcoming cycle, and given that many UG schools, including prestigious schools like Harvard, are going fully online for some or all of their students, it would be totally unreasonable for med schools to not understand why it was unavoidable for candidates going forward to have taken classes and labs online during this period.

I don't think that means it's a "Get Out of Jail Free" card for people to go out of their way to avoid live, in person classes where available, but I do think it means it's safe to not worry about online experiences that are beyond your control.

Reactions: 1 users
Just roll with the punches. All bets are off at this point given the pandemic. I've told all my students to do as well as they can and the rest of the chips will fall in the right places eventually.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Also, there is a big difference between an online program and online classes.

Also, there is a big difference between an online program and online classes.
Of course. OP's issue, and it's a legitimate concern, if that med schools REALLY don't like online labs, even within the category of online classes. We are all dealing with it now, and the bottom line is that it's unavoidable under the circumstances, at least at certain schools.

Of course. OP's issue, and it's a legitimate concern, if that med schools REALLY don't like online labs, even within the category of online classes. We are all dealing with it now, and the bottom line is that it's unavoidable under the circumstances, at least at certain schools.
Right, and Im saying that I've only heard that med schools really don't like dedicated online classes, not adapted in-person classes. Although whetherwhat I heard is correct or not would be a different question.

Right, and Im saying that I've only heard that med schools really don't like dedicated online classes, not adapted in-person classes. Although whetherwhat I heard is correct or not would be a different question.
No, you are totally on track. Online labs are a new thing though, different from classes, because the whole point of them is hands-on learning. No one has specifically said they are okay but, given the circumstances, they really don't have a choice!