Lack of motivation after acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've dealt with the quasi-depressed feelings by 1. Signing up for a competition to give my physical training a direction 2. Making an effort to enjoy time with friends and reconnect with people important to me and 3. Probably 3Xing the amount of reading I'm doing, none of it medical (Team of Rivals was excellent).

Trying to find good balance between working enough to build some savings and really enjoying my time and continuing to develop myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you mean nurse practitioners or naturopathic medicine? The latter is what I assumed was referred to in the post I quoted.
I meant NPs. The post lumped NPS and NDs together.

Members don't see this ad :)

Those studies are extremely flawed for the most part. Many of them compare NP outcomes in patient populations that are lower acuity, fewer in number, and with physician support (the last one doesn't always exist). I've read a bunch of those studies, and in almost all of them the mid-levels had fewer patients who were less sick, and in a number of them, they were being compared to residents.

So essentially, NPs and residents have equal outcomes, and the residents are taking care of more patients of higher acuity. Not exactly the same as saying NP = doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Those studies are extremely flawed for the most part. Many of them compare NP outcomes in patient populations that are lower acuity, fewer in number, and with physician support (the last one doesn't always exist). I've read a bunch of those studies, and in almost all of them the mid-levels had fewer patients who were less sick, and in a number of them, they were being compared to residents.

So essentially, NPs and residents have equal outcomes, and the residents are taking care of more patients of higher acuity. Not exactly the same as saying NP = doctor.
I never said that NPs are equal to doctors. However, lets not equate NPs to NDs either. That being said NPs may or may not provide poorer care or carry less of a patient load, that does not necessarily mean higher mortality and "natural selection" as was implied above.

Last edited:
I just read the first page of this thread and then popped over to the last message... of course it somehow developed into a discussion about NPs haha.

Reactions: 8 users

Yeah I'm not after NPs specifically at this point. More the kind of attitude referred to - don't listen to doctors, they're part of the "system" designed to sell you drugs, go to the naturopaths and cleansing powders because those are the hidden secrets big pharma doesn't want you to know about - that kind of thing. Basically people who eschew data-driven treatments in favor of "natural remedies."

I was going to start restudying for the MCAT 2 weeks ago, then I got an II. Of course, there were no dates available to schedule for 2 months. So now, I have zero motivation to restudy... I mean I do have an interview which gives me a shot. Really hoping this one II turns into an acceptance, otherwise I'm kind of screwed for timing on a retake. Logistically I should be studying but how the heck can I get myself motivated to study for that test again, especially when I have a decent overall score it's just unbalanced with a low CARS. So tired of waiting. Researching so much on this school... They'll probably get creeped out by how much I know about them.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, I feel like this and I haven't been accepted to med school. I'm not even applying yet....

I never said that NPs are equal to doctors. However, lets not equate NPs to NDs either. That being said NPs may or may not provide poorer care or carry less of a patient load, that does not necessarily mean higher mortality and "natural selection" as was implied above.

I wasn't. NDs are snake oil salesmen. NPs are medical providers who serve an important purpose. I was just pointing out that "equal outcomes" is a misleading claim. I'd be more supportive of NPs (as opposed to PAs, which I like) if their schooling was more regulated and consistent.

Total other direction lol, ultramarathon. Just wanna keep my squat over 400 while training.
God bless you. I did a half back in September that was enough for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else experiencing lack of motivation post-acceptance? I feel like I've completely checked out at work. I'm so ready to start school.
Every day I worked after my acceptance was unbearably painful. I really struggled to maintain my focus and drive.

Ha this must be universal. I cannot stand my work. I get absolutely nothing done and almost feel bad for the office, but I can't really leave and I don't think they want me to (because I work in clinic most days, where I actually do a really good job).

I've finally accomplished what I've always wanted to, but I couldn't be more unhappy.

I'm convincing myself that I'm unhappy because I'm genuinely bored and not actively pursuing any big goals. Yes, I work full time, exercise daily, hang with friends and family, partake in old and new hobbies, but it's just not enough for me.

Unlike a lot of what I read on SDN about "relaxing and enjoying your time off", there is only so much I can relax and still enjoy it. I'm comfortable being uncomfortable, and I'm so ready to get started again.
Also, I can feel you on this one. I wouldn't say I'm unhappy at all though. I really enjoy time off. But I definitely am at my best when I'm busy. Not just busy, but challenged/stimulated. I think it's honestly just that calm before the storm where it's like your whole life you've been working towards something and then suddenly you have to sit around for 6 months with nothing to strive for. Just simply "get by" for 6 months in a junk job you took for experience and has become unstimulating.

I know the second I start I'm gonna be dying for time off tho ha.

if my employer was tracking my internet usage.. lolz

Reactions: 8 users
Really thankful I came across this thread. It's nice knowing so many other people feel this way! I'm incredibly thankful to be in (re-applicant, non trad 4 years out) but now have actually zero motivation to go to work. The only thing getting me through is this hypothetical trip I have planned for the summer. Can't come soon enough!

On another note, anyone else a little terrified to start? I both want that day to come, and am really scared about being thrown into school again. Siiiiigh

Reactions: 6 users
The only thing that's kept me sane is that I found out this forum wasn't blocked on the company computers. Now I just lurk around reading useless junk and laughing at over-anxious applicants. That and exactly what this guy said about his summer trip (Europe. Can't wait)
The only thing getting me through is this hypothetical trip I have planned for the summer. Can't come soon enough!=h

Oh did I mention... at work our phones have to be off and put away, there's cameras with microphones all throughout the clinic and offices to monitor if (god forbid) you talk to another employee, there is ZERO unpaid time off and you don't earn paid time off for like a year. The culture is like a swarm of middle school boys/girls. Everyone complains about "what's fair" or "but the other employee positions get to do this or that" and the manager buys into it, which leads to less liberties for everyone in the end.

So any day I'm not in clinic with the doctor (which I enjoy), I sit in a cubicle with nothing important to do (like I'm doing right now) yet I'm forced to stay here because I haven't earned PTO. I genuinely feel bad and like I'm stealing money but the company manager just refuses to just dismiss employees because others will find it unfair.

Are you guys satisfied with that one acceptance or are you guys still being interviewed for schools you like?

Are you guys satisfied with that one acceptance or are you guys still being interviewed for schools you like?
I have three more interviews left, I will attend them all.

I am very satisfied with my acceptance. One of the better/more experienced schools I believe. I am putting what is easily the best school in my state on the match list (Texas match system) but if that doesn't work out, I'm very pleased to go to my pre-match.

Pretty unsatisfied, but if they don't want me, what can I do about it. I'm glad to have a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
^ loling at the identical koala avatars

Reactions: 9 users
I am definitely satisfied with my acceptances. Not at all where I thought I'd be headed, but i'm excited.

Reactions: 1 users
Luckily very satisfied. UWash is my state school/alma mater (eh I hope this doesn't kill my anonymity too much - we have like 1 billion premeds) and it was always the "goal" (IS tuition + incredible school) so when I got that acceptance it was a no brainer.

I do think it would have been cool to live in a new part of the country for a few years - but not "20,000 a year in tuition differences" cool

For a second I thought they were the same person and the two responses threw me off. I was like... "MAKE UP YOUR MIND! ARE YOU SATISFIED OR UNSATISFIED?!"

Reactions: 5 users
For a second I thought they were the same person and the two responses threw me off. I was like... "MAKE UP YOUR MIND! ARE YOU SATISFIED OR UNSATISFIED?!"
it took me way too long HAHA. I was like my god I get being indecisive but this is too much of an emotional roller coaster within 30 minutes of each other!!!

Funny thing is, I had this EXACT conversation with someone else on this forum. Literally the exact same picture. It's popular I guess.

But I need to point out that I am the Koala. They call me T.... KoalaT

Ok cool. Thing is I was planning on getting a job as a medical scribe to get more "clinical experience" but then I got accepted to MSU and didn't pursue becoming a medical scribe anymore lol. I have some more interviews at better schools coming up and was worried that I might have made a mistake because all I'm doing now is saving money for a trip, practicing piano, working out and literally just chilling with my buds all day haha. I am just worried if they ask me what I have been doing since I got back from my internship in October.

Beyond satisfied with my acceptances but still petty that my state school hasn't sent an II. I want the satisfaction of turning it down.

I fricken hate the people that think doctors are out to screw patients and get as rich as possible.

conspiracy-theory-meme-300x300.jpg
TBF, I have personally had a doctor who was like that. Saw me to get my Medicaid referral money, didn't treat me because he said my insurance wouldn't reimburse me enough. I'm not sure how common this is, but it was pretty slimy.

Also why is your Condescending Wonka backwards?

I should not have lumped them together in my post (NP and ND). I was talking about professions that paint physicians as uncaring money grabbers, then made a jab at ND's.

TBF, I have personally had a doctor who was like that. Saw me to get my Medicaid referral money, didn't treat me because he said my insurance wouldn't reimburse me enough. I'm not sure how common this is, but it was pretty slimy.

There are some terrible doctors out there as well. There was cardiologist who knowingly overruled stents in MD. Oncologist who treated imaginary cancers in Detroit, there are lots of MDS who treat medicine as a business first and patient welfare as something secondary.

There are some terrible doctors out there as well. There was cardiologist who knowingly overruled stents in MD. Oncologist who treated imaginary cancers in Detroit, there are lots of MDS who treat medicine as a business first and patient welfare as something secondary.
Didn't @gonnif or someone link articles about those docs a little while ago? I remember it made me want to puke. I think it was in an academic dishonesty thread.

Didn't @gonnif or someone link articles about those docs a little while ago? I remember it made me want to puke. I think it was in an academic dishonesty thread.
I interact with some questionable docs on a daily basis. Interventional cardiology seems to be full of them, just like all aspects of life there are some wonderful people in the field and some people who you don't want to be associated with.

wasnt me but there could be a Hall of Infamy of of Bad Docs.

One of my favorite was a proctologist who advertised in the New York City subways for hemorrhoid surgery with a toll free number something like 1-800-MD-Tusch. They got him for medicare fraud and tax evasion. Appropriately the Feds ripped him a new A$$hole
http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/dr-tusch-spanked-operates-used-car-lot-article-1.773354
This may be the first time your pun didn't make me roll my eyes - not bad

wasnt me but there could be a Hall of Infamy of of Bad Docs.

One of my favorite was a proctologist who advertised in the New York City subways for hemorrhoid surgery with a toll free number something like 1-800-MD-Tusch. They got him for medicare fraud and tax evasion. Appropriately the Feds ripped him a new A$$hole
http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/dr-tusch-spanked-operates-used-car-lot-article-1.773354
This may be the first time your pun didn't make me roll my eyes - not bad
I once tried to make someone roll their eyes with 10 puns in a row. But not one pun in ten did

e5ac7ee096ca431bb50d057c0d8a72c4.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I am half tempted to pre study anatomy. Not because I think it would give me any head start, but because I like it and I want to start learning medical stuff now, haha.

I just googled "conspiracy theory meme" and liked this one best, haha. Not sure why they mirrored it.

I've finally accomplished what I've always wanted to, but I couldn't be more unhappy.

I'm convincing myself that I'm unhappy because I'm genuinely bored and not actively pursuing any big goals. Yes, I work full time, exercise daily, hang with friends and family, partake in old and new hobbies, but it's just not enough for me.

Unlike a lot of what I read on SDN about "relaxing and enjoying your time off", there is only so much I can relax and still enjoy it. I'm comfortable being uncomfortable, and I'm so ready to get started again.
Yeah I think this is pretty common. After my first semester of med school I enjoyed my time off for like...a day. Then things just get boring and you want to get back to work.

This happens all through your career, such as the last week of a rotation, the last day of on call, the last day of a brutal week in the ICU. You are just experiencing being a doctor!
By the way, what did we do the deserve the PUNishment???

And I just got another II. No way do I have ANY motivation to restudy...

I know this is an older thread, but I just discovered it. Can I just say how happy I am that I'm not the only one who feels this way?! Lol.

Like some of y'all, I'm working in research and its all just so much of a snore now. The only problem is that since I'm the only one my PI has working full-time on his clinical studies, I do have to wrap it up nicely for the next hire before I leave.

Definitely waiting until June to think about the state of how I leave things though :p

Anyone discovered ways to motivate in the last month? Haha.

I was able to resist the power of the dark side for about 2 days after getting my first acceptance. Now I embrace it...

1k3rkk.jpg

1k3ryp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I was able to resist the power of the dark side for about 2 days after getting my first acceptance. Now I embrace it...

1k3rkk.jpg

1k3ryp.jpg
I flip around on the first thoughts like 200 times a day lol. Money's the only thing keeping me going at this point haha

I'm SO glad I found this forum wow. I've been feeling way too down and uninterested at work, at home, and am just not motivated to do anything. Mixed with a breakup has made a perfect storm for wanting to get away. I hate wishing my life away but I cannot wait for school to start. I recently gave into hooded kermit and quit my job to go see the country and go backpacking. Hoping it passes the time!

Last edited:
I'm so glad I found this forum. My friends and family don't understand why I am unmotivated and depressed when I've just attained my lifelong goal...so it's reassuring to know there are others out there feeling the exact same way I do. Throwing myself into planning a month long camping trip in July...literally the only thing getting me through the next four months.

Reactions: 3 users
My life consists of binge watching The Office and avoiding the responsibilities of senior year (major senioritis)

I've dealt with the quasi-depressed feelings by 1. Signing up for a competition to give my physical training a direction 2. Making an effort to enjoy time with friends and reconnect with people important to me and 3. Probably 3Xing the amount of reading I'm doing, none of it medical (Team of Rivals was excellent).

Trying to find good balance between working enough to build some savings and really enjoying my time and continuing to develop myself.

I'm reading Team of Rivals right now!

My life consists of binge watching The Office and avoiding the responsibilities of senior year (major senioritis)
Omg me too. I never watched it when it was on and now I can't stop lol. I've gotten through three seasons in 2 weeks. Mixed in with parks and rec---these are the high points of my life currently lol