Lacking "Competitive Traits" for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyrese

Ty Guy, Oh My!
Reaction score
Hello, I'll preface by saying that I am an entering 3rd year Biomedical Engineering major with a 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA. Haven't taken any tests yet, and besides work, I am volunteering in local soup kitchen (since summer just before starting undergrad. Approx 2 years worth with over 300 hours).

I feel that it's because of these traits that I am unable to further build my pre-med portfolio. Simply put, I have not been able to earn letters of recommendation from professors because I'm too shy and do not wish to burden them with my own selfish needs. I feel bad asking for someone else to do something for me. I tend to really respect faculty/mentors very much to the point I find it selfish of me to request that they write about me. It will make the person think, "oh wow, he just befriended and came to office hours JUST to get a stinkin' letter from me?!" Furthermore, this problem leaks into me being able to successfully enter clinical internships and other such volunteer experiences. I either was lacking in interview portion, or primary application was denied. Possibly due to lack of interview skills and/or prior clinical experience. (tangent: How can I earn entry-level experience that doesn't require prior experience?)

As I've aged in the past two and a half years since entering undergrad, It seems to me that the "go-getter" types are able to build strong meaningful relationships with faculty, professors, etc. leading to connections that somewhat facilitate (?) the application process for them. I'm probably generalizing, but from my POV, it seems to be the case. I've tried to appear more outgoing and lively, but that is not the REAL me and is obviously fake to others anyway. Likewise, I've tried just being my normal self- no dice. These haven't helped in the slightest for me to build meaningful connections or even get a single clinical position. :(

Is this a lost cause? What is the most sound thing to do in this case?

Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Thank you, and best of luck to all applicants in the current app cycle! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'll preface by saying that I am an entering 3rd year Biomedical Engineering major with a 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA. Haven't taken any tests yet, and besides work, I am volunteering in local soup kitchen (since summer just before starting undergrad. Approx 2 years worth with over 300 hours).

I feel that it's because of these traits that I am unable to further build my pre-med portfolio. Simply put, I have not been able to earn letters of recommendation from professors because I'm too shy and do not wish to burden them with my own selfish needs. I feel bad asking for someone else to do something for me. I tend to really respect faculty/mentors very much to the point I find it selfish of me to request that they write about me. It will make the person think, "oh wow, he just befriended and came to office hours JUST to get a stinkin' letter from me?!" Furthermore, this problem leaks into me being able to successfully enter clinical internships and other such volunteer experiences. I either was lacking in interview portion, or primary application was denied. Possibly due to lack of interview skills and/or prior clinical experience. (tangent: How can I earn entry-level experience that doesn't require prior experience?)

As I've aged in the past two and a half years since entering undergrad, It seems to me that the "go-getter" types are able to build strong meaningful relationships with faculty, professors, etc. leading to connections that somewhat facilitate (?) the application process for them. I'm probably generalizing, but from my POV, it seems to be the case. I've tried to appear more outgoing and lively, but that is not the REAL me and is obviously fake to others anyway. Likewise, I've tried just being my normal self- no dice. These haven't helped in the slightest for me to build meaningful connections or even get a single clinical position. :(

Is this a lost cause? What is the most sound thing to do in this case?

Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Thank you, and best of luck to all applicants in the current app cycle! :)
Professors expect to be asked for LOR. They won’t think less of you for asking.
Does your school have a premedical or preprofessional advisory office? If it does, that’s where to go to get help with your interview skills and applications. It’s their job to help you, so try not to feel bad about asking!

Reactions: 9 users
Do you believe in you, because it kind of sounds like you don't. Being quiet and introverted is one thing, lacking the self-esteem to believe that you deserve a letter of recommendation is another.

I agree with the above poster who said that professors expect to be asked for letters of recommendation, just like employers expect to be asked to be used as a future reference when you move to a new position. Would you feel like if someone asked you to be a personal reference or write them a letter of recommendation that they had somehow been using you in the past, or would you feel happy and honored to be entrusted with helping that person achieve their goals?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing wrong with developing relationships with faculty with the implicit intent of eventually asking them for a LOR. You will only look like the sleazy character you’re imagining if you make your interactions with them consistently about you and your goals.

You have to learn how to make yourself more palatable to others. You need to act a little selfish (i.e., 20 minutes of your professors time isn’t worth more than your entire career), develop a firmer sense of self (i.e., “my thoughts means something and won’t be overruled by everyone I meet with a big personality), and learn to project yourself as a kind and positively-thinking person.

You aren’t letting them do their job which is to write letters for appropriate students and help build careers. Your job is to ask

both of youneed to do your jobs

• Love
Reactions: 4 users