Lacking confidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narmada08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am currently applying to DO Schools and here are my stats:
Science GPA: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.5
-worked as a scribe and TA with tons of volunteering experience
-currently working with Americorps in my year off
-I took my MCAT twice and my highest was a 26R
-I submitted most of my secondaries mid-October

Do I stand a chance at receiving interviews from CCOM, Western U, NYCOM or PCOM?

I have an interview from LECOM but it is only in February and that worries me quite a bit. I've applied to about 25 schools and LECOM is the only one I have heard from so far.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have peace. It's hard to predict if you'll get more interviews, but I bet you will. Just be patient.

Oh and for future reference come join us in the WAMC forum, this is the place for this.

Its tough to tell, but based on my own experience (my stats are lower than yours) I would say definitely on WesternU (I had an II there but ended up not going), maybe for CCOM (I didn't get an II from them), and I haven't heard a peep from NYCOM or PCOM (and my secondaries were complete mid-August) so I can't really say for those two. But keep your chin up and be patient, if you submitted your secondaries mid-october that means its only been 2 weeks, it will definitely take most schools more than 2 weeks to get back to you. If you haven't heard back from anyone else by January (which I doubt will be the case) then you can start worrying. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be very wrong in this, but it seems that initially schools probably go through and pick the ones with the very high MCAT/GPAs. They accept some of those people, and I'm guessing a lot of those people choose either MD schools or highly competitive D.O. schools. Then, they go back through and look through those applicants with lower stats like yours (and mine!). For me, it was about applying to 'reach' schools and 'safe' schools. My safe schools (hopefully, ha!) were the newer schools like WCU and Campbell. I would consider adding a few more safe schools. The schools you applied to are fairly competitive.

Relax. You submitted your secondaries in mid October so give it a few weeks for them to review your application. I'm sure you'll get a few more interviews.

Just got rejected from Duluth without an interview....this wait is pretty agonizing. Here is my current list of schools, should I add anymore?

University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
University of Minnesota-Duluth------REJECTED
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Meharry Medical College
Albany Medical College
University of North Dakota

A.T.S.U in Arizona
Midwestern University in Arizona
Midwestern University in Chicago
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine
Rocky Vista University in Colorado
Tuoro University College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Western University of Health Sciences
West Virgina School of Osteopathic Medicine
Campbell University School of Osteopathic medicine
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

I think you'll be OK for planty of interviews at DO schools. Your numbers are NOT competetive for any MD school, alas.

Just got rejected from Duluth without an interview....this wait is pretty agonizing. Here is my current list of schools, should I add anymore?

Meharry Medical College
Albany Medical College

A.T.S.U in Arizona
Midwestern University in Chicago
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

Is interviewing in February really late? That's what worries me the most...that all my interviews will be in Feb and after....I mean LECOM is seriously booked and their secondaries don't take long to review. If I have to wait for schools to review my stuff and then contact me, I might only get stuff in March and April from here on out....

February is not necessarily bad. Admissions are rolling for a reason. When were you complete?

My AACOMAS was verified on October 6th. I completed my LECOM secondary by Oct 15th and I got an invite on the 31st. For my other applications I completed them between the 15th and the 26th...hopefully stuff starts happening next week!

My AACOMAS was verified on October 6th. I completed my LECOM secondary by Oct 15th and I got an invite on the 31st. For my other applications I completed them between the 15th and the 26th...hopefully stuff starts happening next week!

Well maybe I can shed some perspective then. I was verified around Sept. 20th, with most of my secondaries complete w/ LORs between Oct. 2-10. I've had 3 IIs and a few rejections/holds in October, with the vast majority of schools telling me I would be under review until mid-November. I think things will start trickling in. And even if you get later interviews, you can stay on top of things by watching portals like a hawk and letting admissions departments know you'd like to be notified should an earlier date open up (people will cancel interviews all the time as acceptances roll in).

Meharry Medical College
Albany Medical College

A.T.S.U in Arizona
Midwestern University in Chicago - Gets tons of applicants
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine -Are you from Michigan?
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine - Gets tons of applicants
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine - Gets tons of applicants
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine - Large bias for in-staters

The above schools I commented on I wouldn't expect much out of (unless you are a michigan resident on MSUCOM). Don't expect much out of MD schools either. Other than that your list looks decent. Keep the faith and you will likely get more invites. Americorps is a big plus I would think too.

Ugh that is a bummer...all the schools you pointed out were actually my top choices. I still haven't heard anything back!!!

Not to suggest that you have no chance at those schools! I just received an invite at a state school where I don't have residency. Just pointing out that a school list might not be as long as it looks. As Goro pointed out, your chances at MD are quite slim (though not impossible I guess if those are some of your state schools). And your DO list has a number of state schools and schools with extremely heavy applicant loads.

If you are really getting worried, perhaps try adding ATSU-KCOM, KCUMB, LMU-DCOM?

Woo just got an interview at Marian!! So excited right now :)