-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Laptop recommendations
Started by osumc2014
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It depends on what you want to use it for. While almost any new-ish computer will do for med school, every type has its limitations.
People in the biological and health sciences tend to like Macs, but they are much more expensive than PC laptops.
People in the biological and health sciences tend to like Macs, but they are much more expensive than PC laptops.
What, you call $1800 expensive for a computer with no optical drives and one USB port? 🙄It depends on what you want to use it for. While almost any new-ish computer will do for med school, every type has its limitations.
People in the biological and health sciences tend to like Macs, but they are much more expensive than PC laptops.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on what you want to use it for. While almost any new-ish computer will do for med school, every type has its limitations.
People in the biological and health sciences tend to like Macs, but they are much more expensive than PC laptops.
Incorrect. A refurb MacBook will do you wonders. Plus, people seem to be forgetting that time = money, and that for all the problems that you can have with a PC, very few of them happen with a Mac. My time certainly isn't cheap (especially when I get into med school) and everything REALLY does just work.
Though, you need to check with your school to see if they have any special requirements. Some schools make you buy a tablet, others are not Mac-friendly (which is sad). But for those schools that don't show a bias, I'd definitely consider a MacBook.
Oh, and for those that want to know, I've had a MacBook Pro for a year (I am slightly biased).
Here's the refurb page. Check every Tuesday and Thursday if you don't see any. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTE3NjY&nclm=CertifiedMac
From my personal experiences, and those of my entire family, if you have the money to spend on a Mac, do it. I'm going on 2 years with my MacBook Pro and not only has it yet to crash, but I've only needed to reboot it less than 20 times. By year 2 with my Toshiba laptop, the cooling fan was gone and it was intermittently overheating and crashing from errors.
I want to purchase a new laptop and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for which type is best.
Just bear in mind that some med schools require you to buy a specific computer through them with proprietary software already installed, so if you buy one now, you may find yourself needing to buy another upon matriculation. It almost pays to get a cheapo one to use for a year if you really must have one at this point.
I've had a tablet PC for over a year (for undergrad) and love it. Imagine all of your notes, hw assignments, and even some textbooks all in one place... Plus it is a great conversation starter with classmates and profs, although that was not one of the reasons why I got it. 🙄
I highly recommend tablets for any student; you never realize until you have one just how useful it is to be able to handwrite on your computer! It also circumvents the whole PC vs Mac question, since you're stuck with PC for now. Mine's a Toshiba, which I (personally) think is better value & performance than a Gateway or HP. Acer makes a decent tablet, and Lenovo's is expensive but for good reason. I have no idea about the Dell.
I highly recommend tablets for any student; you never realize until you have one just how useful it is to be able to handwrite on your computer! It also circumvents the whole PC vs Mac question, since you're stuck with PC for now. Mine's a Toshiba, which I (personally) think is better value & performance than a Gateway or HP. Acer makes a decent tablet, and Lenovo's is expensive but for good reason. I have no idea about the Dell.
Macbook
air. +30" studio display. you'll be a hero when it comes time to study histology.
oh I like the fact it has a dvd drive 👍
while i cant weigh in on the mac vs pc debate i would say dont buy anything with a massively wide screen. i got a 17" dell XPS ( the shiny ones with the multicolor lights coming out of the air vents), thinking i'd be all cool. it's so heavy we wound up reformatting my college ibm thinkpad (built like a freakin rock, the thing never dies) and now i take notes on that instead. after nearly 3/4 of a year i'd accumulated so much printed material i cant imagine not doing my notes electronically from now on.
I don't want to get into the Apple vs. PC debate, but if you're interested in sticking to PCs, I would recommend the Lenovo X300 or their X61 Tablet. I'm trying to decide between these two models. One thing that is definitely a consideration is the weight and size of the laptop, since if you buy a bulky 8-lb 17" desktop replacement, it'll be a pain to carry everywhere.
The X300 is the PC response to the MacBook Air. It weighs around 3lbs, and despite the 13.3" screen, has the resolution of typical 15" (1440x900). Pros over the MacBook Air: it has an optical drive, removable battery, 3 USB ports, and wireless USB option, and costs less than the MacBook Air (equipped with the same 64GB SSD drive). Cons: the Santa Rosa processor is only 1.2GHz compared to the 1.8GHz in the Air (though I expect their processors to catch up towards the summer, once production meets demands).
The X61 Tablet is also a great option, too, if you like tablets. It doesn't have the 64GB SSD, but it is still thin and light at just under 4 pounds. It has only a 12" screen, but I do like how there is a detachable mediabase that can house the optical drive and extra HDD (though these would be unnecessary if the X61 had wireless USB).
The X300 is the PC response to the MacBook Air. It weighs around 3lbs, and despite the 13.3" screen, has the resolution of typical 15" (1440x900). Pros over the MacBook Air: it has an optical drive, removable battery, 3 USB ports, and wireless USB option, and costs less than the MacBook Air (equipped with the same 64GB SSD drive). Cons: the Santa Rosa processor is only 1.2GHz compared to the 1.8GHz in the Air (though I expect their processors to catch up towards the summer, once production meets demands).
The X61 Tablet is also a great option, too, if you like tablets. It doesn't have the 64GB SSD, but it is still thin and light at just under 4 pounds. It has only a 12" screen, but I do like how there is a detachable mediabase that can house the optical drive and extra HDD (though these would be unnecessary if the X61 had wireless USB).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
air. +30" studio display. you'll be a hero when it comes time to study histology.
The MacBook Air can't support the 2560 x 1600 native resolution of that 30"
I've had a tablet PC for over a year (for undergrad) and love it. Imagine all of your notes, hw assignments, and even some textbooks all in one place... Plus it is a great conversation starter with classmates and profs, although that was not one of the reasons why I got it. 🙄
I highly recommend tablets for any student; you never realize until you have one just how useful it is to be able to handwrite on your computer! It also circumvents the whole PC vs Mac question, since you're stuck with PC for now. Mine's a Toshiba, which I (personally) think is better value & performance than a Gateway or HP. Acer makes a decent tablet, and Lenovo's is expensive but for good reason. I have no idea about the Dell.
I have to agree with Mazelia. I am a big Mac fan, but sitting in classes during my interviews has changed my mind. In most of the classes I have observed, over half of the lecture slides are pictures and diagrams. Being able to make notes ON the diagram, take your pen and circle something important on a microscope slide, etc, just seems really useful.
At my Howard interview, all the students had Toshiba tablet laptops. It seamed really useful for making lecture notes. Howard provides laptops to the students, so they all have the same one. I've decided that even if I don't end up going to Howard, Im definitely getting one of those if it matches the school's IT specifications.
on a side note....I got a Dell Latitude 610 form a friend who upgraded. Is there a device you can attach to it to make it become a tablet PC? Like just a tablet that you can hook up thru USB?
Yes, you can install a clear screen of touch layer, and plug it into an internal USB port. But, you won't get that swivel/tilt that you get in a true tablet. You'll be writing onto a screen that is standing vertical, probably causing significant strain on your wrist.
The MacBook Air can't support the 2560 x 1600 native resolution of that 30"
there goes my plan...
Lenovo X300
Its the newest of the new for PC laptops with a ton of nifty stuff. Bottom line, get this laptop in 2008...it will still be good in 2013.
Its the newest of the new for PC laptops with a ton of nifty stuff. Bottom line, get this laptop in 2008...it will still be good in 2013.
Not with that 1.2 GHz processor... They really need to step it up soon, and get us to at least 2.0 GHz. Can you imagine running Vista on 1.2 GHz, let alone Windows 7?
Lenovo X300
Its the newest of the new for PC laptops with a ton of nifty stuff. Bottom line, get this laptop in 2008...it will still be good in 2013.
I think some people are leaving out critical information about the Lenovo x300. The price starts at $2,400 w/o tax. While there are plenty of medical schools that budget up to $3,000 to buy a computer, I didn't think people took such a limit literally!
Though for those still interested, here's a review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4270
However, the biggest problem I see with recommending the Lenovo x300 is the CPU. It's not that great. Perhaps if you are just checking your e-mail really quickly or "lightly" surfing the web, it might be fine, but this CPU will crash and burn if you do any heavy multi-tasking.
Though for those still interested, here's a review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4270
However, the biggest problem I see with recommending the Lenovo x300 is the CPU. It's not that great. Perhaps if you are just checking your e-mail really quickly or "lightly" surfing the web, it might be fine, but this CPU will crash and burn if you do any heavy multi-tasking.
From my personal experiences, and those of my entire family, if you have the money to spend on a Mac, do it. I'm going on 2 years with my MacBook Pro and not only has it yet to crash, but I've only needed to reboot it less than 20 times. By year 2 with my Toshiba laptop, the cooling fan was gone and it was intermittently overheating and crashing from errors.
My sister and I both bought the same toshiba laptop on the same day, and used it for similar activities for about 12 months. On the exact same week, both of our cooling fans broke, and the hardrive followed soon after. I swear, Toshibas must have a fricking self destruct timer of some sorts.
wow definitely consider getting a smaller, thinner laptop. Sure the ones with the large widescreens look great at the store until you have to lug that around + binders+ books.
I definitely recommend getting extended warranties......try getting a warranty that covers the battery and try to get protection in case you spill something on it or drop it.
anyone have any opinions on Sony Vaios?
I definitely recommend getting extended warranties......try getting a warranty that covers the battery and try to get protection in case you spill something on it or drop it.
anyone have any opinions on Sony Vaios?
My sister and I both bought the same toshiba laptop on the same day, and used it for similar activities for about 12 months. On the exact same week, both of our cooling fans broke, and the hardrive followed soon after. I swear, Toshibas must have a fricking self destruct timer of some sorts.
My friends with HPs also have problems with overheating. anyone else experience this?
D
da8s0859q
anyone have any opinions on Sony Vaios?
mhm. They're wonderful pieces of hardware - or they can be, anyway - but you're paying a premium for the handsome looks. You could probably get equivalent hardware in a different package for a bit less money.
That said, I like Vaios. I'm just biased towards them, I guess you could say. But when it comes down to it, I'd probably just try to snag a good e-coupon and go get an XPS M1330 over at Dell instead of running to Sony.
First and foremost - do NOT buy a laptop before checking to see what deals you get through your future med school. At my school, for example, we get $200 off Macbooks automatically. I remember at Harvard that all students got a free iPod with any Macbook, etc.
So, once you decide, or preferably before you decide - check out what deals you'll get.
I'm torn on tablets - if I got one I think I'd still get one that had a keyboard. Apple is sucking me in - the iPhone SDK can only be run on Macs, they're running Unix now, etc. 🙁
So, once you decide, or preferably before you decide - check out what deals you'll get.
I'm torn on tablets - if I got one I think I'd still get one that had a keyboard. Apple is sucking me in - the iPhone SDK can only be run on Macs, they're running Unix now, etc. 🙁
Yeah, I thought about doing tablets too. I don't know how helpful they would really be though since i've never used one.
I saw the Mac books recently, the new Air books are ridiculously tiny!
I saw the Mac books recently, the new Air books are ridiculously tiny!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what do you think about the dell xps 15in. notebook? is it light or is the 13iner better. Also, macbook vs dell xps 13in, who wins?
thanks 🙄
thanks 🙄
what do you think about the dell xps 15in. notebook? is it light or is the 13iner better. Also, macbook vs dell xps 13in, who wins?
thanks 🙄
If you can handle the decreased screen resolution, I'd say the 13 in. version is better.
wow definitely consider getting a smaller, thinner laptop. Sure the ones with the large widescreens look great at the store until you have to lug that around + binders+ books.
I definitely recommend getting extended warranties......try getting a warranty that covers the battery and try to get protection in case you spill something on it or drop it.
anyone have any opinions on Sony Vaios?
My mom just got a Sony Vaio for Christmas (I'm not sure the model, but it was the smallest and lightest they had at the store.) That thing is so slow! I do not recommend it. Plus, I think Vista stinks. However, I am a bit biased toward macs because I've had them for about 6 years now and they have given me no problems.
Uh oh, here I was planning to get a vaio. Is there anyone who likes it? For some reason I thought it was one of the best out there. 😕
I hate these threads, but I feel I must post.
Here's my experience, take it w/ a grain of salt, although I've been a hardware tech for the past 3 years so I'm not talking out of my @$$. Also keep in mind these are very broad generalizations and every brand may have a good machine or two.
Apple:
Macbook - GREAT, if you have the money get these. The hardware is dependable and (depending on your funding) high performance. If you don't like OSX (like me) just install Vista!
Air - So impractical it hurts, just stay away unless you're Reese Witherspoon from Legally Blonde, and have $3000 to blow
Asus:
Many Choices: Vast variety from $500 budget builds to my $1600 rig which touts:
2.4 GHz Dual Core
200GB HDD
2GB Ram
Nvidia 8600M GT
Reputable brand even though you may have never heard of them. Don't be scared to purchase because they are decent manufacturers. Chances are your PC has innards made by Asus. I own an Asus, it's great!
Gateway:
Eww.. I only have experience with their corporate machines because that's what I worked on and I hated them. They make decent desktops with good warranties, but just stay away from the laptops. Again I only have experience with their business machines.
HP:
= MEDIOCRE
People buy these because of name recognition
Mediocre performance at the low end
Mediocre bang for the buck at the high end.
Sometimes you can get a really good deal on them on a Black Friday sale or something because all major retailers carry them, if you're on a budget
Lenovo/IBM:
Thinkpad: Rugged, Reliable, Repairable, Scalable.
The love of Corporate America for a reason. I worked on a couple of the older IBM Thinkpads and they were built like a rock. I'm sure Lenovo has continued this legacy, please be sure to read some reviews though. More oriented towards efficiency, so if you're into graphic intensive applications I'd be careful. If you use good 'ol combination of Internet/Word Processor/iTunes/Instant Messenger etc etc, you're in the clear with these machines.
Sony Viao: OVERPRICED
I have two Sony LCD TVs, a Digital Camera, Camcorder, and a PS3 BUT THEIR LAPTOPS ARE NOT WORTH IT! On the plus side they are very pretty? Also to much proprietary hardware, but hey it's Sony 🙂
Toshiba:
I've only ever used one Toshiba, and it worked ok even though I used it for like 6 hours straight on soft bedsheets. Good bang for your buck if you look at the specs. However, as others have mentioned above, craftsmanship and reliability may be an issue, and I don't have enough experience to validate, or disprove that. Read some reviews I guess.
Here's my experience, take it w/ a grain of salt, although I've been a hardware tech for the past 3 years so I'm not talking out of my @$$. Also keep in mind these are very broad generalizations and every brand may have a good machine or two.
BRANDS
Apple:
Macbook - GREAT, if you have the money get these. The hardware is dependable and (depending on your funding) high performance. If you don't like OSX (like me) just install Vista!
Air - So impractical it hurts, just stay away unless you're Reese Witherspoon from Legally Blonde, and have $3000 to blow
Asus:
Many Choices: Vast variety from $500 budget builds to my $1600 rig which touts:
2.4 GHz Dual Core
200GB HDD
2GB Ram
Nvidia 8600M GT
Reputable brand even though you may have never heard of them. Don't be scared to purchase because they are decent manufacturers. Chances are your PC has innards made by Asus. I own an Asus, it's great!
Gateway:
Eww.. I only have experience with their corporate machines because that's what I worked on and I hated them. They make decent desktops with good warranties, but just stay away from the laptops. Again I only have experience with their business machines.
HP:
= MEDIOCRE
People buy these because of name recognition
Mediocre performance at the low end
Mediocre bang for the buck at the high end.
Sometimes you can get a really good deal on them on a Black Friday sale or something because all major retailers carry them, if you're on a budget
Lenovo/IBM:
Thinkpad: Rugged, Reliable, Repairable, Scalable.
The love of Corporate America for a reason. I worked on a couple of the older IBM Thinkpads and they were built like a rock. I'm sure Lenovo has continued this legacy, please be sure to read some reviews though. More oriented towards efficiency, so if you're into graphic intensive applications I'd be careful. If you use good 'ol combination of Internet/Word Processor/iTunes/Instant Messenger etc etc, you're in the clear with these machines.
Sony Viao: OVERPRICED
I have two Sony LCD TVs, a Digital Camera, Camcorder, and a PS3 BUT THEIR LAPTOPS ARE NOT WORTH IT! On the plus side they are very pretty? Also to much proprietary hardware, but hey it's Sony 🙂
Toshiba:
I've only ever used one Toshiba, and it worked ok even though I used it for like 6 hours straight on soft bedsheets. Good bang for your buck if you look at the specs. However, as others have mentioned above, craftsmanship and reliability may be an issue, and I don't have enough experience to validate, or disprove that. Read some reviews I guess.
SIZE
This is an EASY one. Nothing over 15.4" try and go for a 13.3"
I know that may sound small, if you're talking about rims or something, but we're talking laptops. The whole point is portability. I thought 15.4" would be ok and my machine is giving me lower back pain (hyperbole).
I know that may sound small, if you're talking about rims or something, but we're talking laptops. The whole point is portability. I thought 15.4" would be ok and my machine is giving me lower back pain (hyperbole).
SOFTWARE
FIRST OFF: I hate inefficiency, I hate Steve Balmer, I hate hate hate the money-hungry, apathy laden, mass of ineptitude that is Microsoft
BUT I use their software, because it's just easier for me.
I know it's trendy right now to dry hump Steve Jobs' leg, but I don't really enjoy OSX. I've only spent like 10 hours on an OSX machine doing random tasks and messing around w/ the Unix shell (which is waaay better than DOS), but I still don't think it warrants the switch.
Here's some advice for all of you people that think Windows is slow, or crashes etc. Reformat your hard drive, install Windows XP or Vista. Now use it, BUT Don't look at porn, don't download free this and free that (unless it's trustworthy), don't click on banner ads, DON'T BE AN IDIOT.
So many times I've had people look over my shoulder saying Windows is trash while I'm trudging through the registry trying to delete tracks of a Trojan they downloaded from freescreensavers.com or some other useless piece of software like Weatherbug.
Obviously OSX will have less viruses. If Windows has like 80% market share why would scumbags bother designing viruses for OSX? Oh and Windows works on SOOOO many different machines w/ different parts, configurations and different drivers so there is bound to be instability. OSX is built by a company who only puts it on computers with hardware they put together.
I'm ranting now and I'm sorry for that. Just choose what works for you. I like Windows.
BUT I use their software, because it's just easier for me.
I know it's trendy right now to dry hump Steve Jobs' leg, but I don't really enjoy OSX. I've only spent like 10 hours on an OSX machine doing random tasks and messing around w/ the Unix shell (which is waaay better than DOS), but I still don't think it warrants the switch.
Here's some advice for all of you people that think Windows is slow, or crashes etc. Reformat your hard drive, install Windows XP or Vista. Now use it, BUT Don't look at porn, don't download free this and free that (unless it's trustworthy), don't click on banner ads, DON'T BE AN IDIOT.
So many times I've had people look over my shoulder saying Windows is trash while I'm trudging through the registry trying to delete tracks of a Trojan they downloaded from freescreensavers.com or some other useless piece of software like Weatherbug.

Obviously OSX will have less viruses. If Windows has like 80% market share why would scumbags bother designing viruses for OSX? Oh and Windows works on SOOOO many different machines w/ different parts, configurations and different drivers so there is bound to be instability. OSX is built by a company who only puts it on computers with hardware they put together.
I'm ranting now and I'm sorry for that. Just choose what works for you. I like Windows.
THE JIST OF IT FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO READ
Buy something in your price range from these brands
1. Apple
2. Asus
3. Lenovo/IBM
There are others but I can only personally reccomend these.
Buy 13.3" Laptop, or a 15.4" if you must
I like Windows, it has shortcomings, so what.
Man I am such a loser...hope you found this useful, because that's 30 minutes of my life I will never have back
1. Apple
2. Asus
3. Lenovo/IBM
There are others but I can only personally reccomend these.
Buy 13.3" Laptop, or a 15.4" if you must
I like Windows, it has shortcomings, so what.
Man I am such a loser...hope you found this useful, because that's 30 minutes of my life I will never have back
This makes me angry. I wish I knew this before I bought a new laptop!!! Ohh well...another $1000 spent isn't a big deal, right? 😡Just bear in mind that some med schools require you to buy a specific computer through them with proprietary software already installed, so if you buy one now, you may find yourself needing to buy another upon matriculation. It almost pays to get a cheapo one to use for a year if you really must have one at this point.
Ohhhh weatherbug...brings back horrible memories. I somehow ended up with that on my laptop (my mom got a hold of the laptop🙄)...it was horrible!!!So many times I've had people look over my shoulder saying Windows is trash while I'm trudging through the registry trying to delete tracks of a Trojan they downloaded from freescreensavers.com or some other useless piece of software like Weatherbug.![]()
but that wasn't a waste of 30 mins. it was a great post. thanks!
1
191159
Incorrect. A refurb MacBook will do you wonders. Plus, people seem to be forgetting that time = money, and that for all the problems that you can have with a PC, very few of them happen with a Mac. My time certainly isn't cheap (especially when I get into med school) and everything REALLY does just work.
Though, you need to check with your school to see if they have any special requirements. Some schools make you buy a tablet, others are not Mac-friendly (which is sad). But for those schools that don't show a bias, I'd definitely consider a MacBook.
Oh, and for those that want to know, I've had a MacBook Pro for a year (I am slightly biased).
Here's the refurb page. Check every Tuesday and Thursday if you don't see any. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTE3NjY&nclm=CertifiedMac
Wow you can save a lot on buying the refurbished. Do you own one and does it work fine? Thinking about getting one now 👍
My friends with HPs also have problems with overheating. anyone else experience this?
I have a HP presario and hv had problems with overheating but that was after about 2 years of literately abusing the poor box
i am using a gateway laptop right now. purchased it on sale for under $1000 at bestbuy in May 2006 and have used it practically everyday. wrote a freakin thesis on it...my friend spilled water on it...I've had no major problems with it. Never overheats or crashes.
But obviously--If I had to choose again I would spend more and get something of higher quality and get something smaller and lighter. I think I have a 15.4" widescreen.
But obviously--If I had to choose again I would spend more and get something of higher quality and get something smaller and lighter. I think I have a 15.4" widescreen.
Wow you can save a lot on buying the refurbished. Do you own one and does it work fine? Thinking about getting one now 👍
I own a refurbished MacBook Pro for a year now. If you given me the laptop itself without telling me it was refurbished, I would never have guess that it wasn't "out of the box new". Not a single scratch on it! New battery as well.
You have to remember that while it may say "refurbished", it could be that someone had it for a day and took it back. Actually, as long as the seal to the box has been opened, it is against federal law to sell it as new again. So that's why Apple will have plenty of refurbished computers that look like new.
I saved $400 by the way!
Thinkpads are probably some of the best designed laptops on the market.
I think some people are leaving out critical information about the Lenovo x300. The price starts at $2,400 w/o tax. While there are plenty of medical schools that budget up to $3,000 to buy a computer, I didn't think people took such a limit literally!
Though for those still interested, here's a review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4270
However, the biggest problem I see with recommending the Lenovo x300 is the CPU. It's not that great. Perhaps if you are just checking your e-mail really quickly or "lightly" surfing the web, it might be fine, but this CPU will crash and burn if you do any heavy multi-tasking.
Lenovo is much different than IBM with regards to actual costs. IBM rarely had sales/deals on their laptops, but in the last year Lenovo has really stepped up the promotions. I'd expect that price to be significantly lower than $2400 by summer. (example: my brother bought an x61t in june for like $2k, my dad bought the same laptop in october for $1500).
As for actual laptops... after owning a tablet I won't go back. I do wish Apple would release one as I think they would do some nifty implementation of it in OSX.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could the Mac snobs tell me how one decides between the Macbook and Macbook Pro? I know the obvious spec differences, but since I haven't owned a Mac (and I'm not a full time illustrator) I don't know how useful the difference in features is.
Also, with regards to the above post about quality of manufacturers - very spot on. I'm writing this post from a 5 year old IBM T41 that is going to (hopefully) last me through August of this year. It's the little things - like sealing their keyboards so when some jackass in an airport spills beer on your laptop (it happened), you just toss in a new keyboard, pay the fine for assault, and go on with your day. 🙂
Also, with regards to the above post about quality of manufacturers - very spot on. I'm writing this post from a 5 year old IBM T41 that is going to (hopefully) last me through August of this year. It's the little things - like sealing their keyboards so when some jackass in an airport spills beer on your laptop (it happened), you just toss in a new keyboard, pay the fine for assault, and go on with your day. 🙂
Could the Mac snobs tell me how one decides between the Macbook and Macbook Pro? I know the obvious spec differences, but since I haven't owned a Mac (and I'm not a full time illustrator) I don't know how useful the difference in features is.
Also, with regards to the above post about quality of manufacturers - very spot on. I'm writing this post from a 5 year old IBM T41 that is going to (hopefully) last me through August of this year. It's the little things - like sealing their keyboards so when some jackass in an airport spills beer on your laptop (it happened), you just toss in a new keyboard, pay the fine for assault, and go on with your day. 🙂
I don't appreciate the name calling.
To be honest, most people only need a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro. The primary differences are the better CPUs offer, dedicated GPU, larger screen, backlit keyboard, ExpressCard 54 slot (for mobile broadband), and a Firewire 800 port for external hard drives. That's all really.
www.cnet.com
has a laptop section, has recommendations for laptops from the ultraportables to the superpowered units
I would highly recommend visiting with school IT first in order to determine what kind of systems they recommend (and especially take into account wireless access!) I purchased a desktop to go to medical school because I enjoy a more powerful system. Sadly, my school only accepted one wireless access card at the time and to purchase one for a desktop, it cost me over $200.
And what do you know? That card and wireless grid is now obsolete which means I'll have to get a new one.
Going for a Macbook Pro this time around. I figure if I can't get used to OS X, I can always install XP on it anyway. 🙂 (I hate Vista)
has a laptop section, has recommendations for laptops from the ultraportables to the superpowered units
I would highly recommend visiting with school IT first in order to determine what kind of systems they recommend (and especially take into account wireless access!) I purchased a desktop to go to medical school because I enjoy a more powerful system. Sadly, my school only accepted one wireless access card at the time and to purchase one for a desktop, it cost me over $200.
And what do you know? That card and wireless grid is now obsolete which means I'll have to get a new one.
Going for a Macbook Pro this time around. I figure if I can't get used to OS X, I can always install XP on it anyway. 🙂 (I hate Vista)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 406
- Replies
- 23
- Views
- 31K

