laptop use as a Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
here is another question, do you really need ipad or any of those tablets??
i mean i want one, but thats only for fun, if there is really no use for it should i buy it at all?

i much prefer mini laptop than a tablets, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

here is another question, do you really need ipad or any of those tablets??
i mean i want one, but thats only for fun, if there is really no use for it should i buy it at all?

i much prefer mini laptop than a tablets, thoughts?

Do you really need? No.

I wasn't considering it until I got some tips from a current med student about putting iAnnotate on your ipad along with PDFs of whatever, and using that to mark the passages/highlight etc. You can use cloud storage like Dropbox to make sure that in the event of a hardware failure, you will still have the latest copy on the internet connected to your desktop/laptop. The ipad will really just be for some light studying, like at a coffee shop, or somewhere I'm not really fond of bringing along a heavy laptop.

I'm not really a pen and paper guy, so I will use this strategy.

You can use cloud storage like Dropbox to make sure that in the event of a hardware failure, you will still have the latest copy on the internet connected to your desktop/laptop.

Yes, don't forget regular backups, either by cloud storage or on your own external hard drive (~$70). Losing files is no fun when you have an exam in the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really need? No.

I wasn't considering it until I got some tips from a current med student about putting iAnnotate on your ipad along with PDFs of whatever, and using that to mark the passages/highlight etc. You can use cloud storage like Dropbox to make sure that in the event of a hardware failure, you will still have the latest copy on the internet connected to your desktop/laptop. The ipad will really just be for some light studying, like at a coffee shop, or somewhere I'm not really fond of bringing along a heavy laptop.

I'm not really a pen and paper guy, so I will use this strategy.

thanks, that sounds great, but i never study at a coffee shop or stay either, always togo...
i was wondering if there is some medical related apps that are sort of essential,
if there isn't i don't think i'll buy ipad, i am not much a tech girl, so i wouldn't be able to use half its functions anyways...
i will stick with my laptop & buy a desktop with a huge screen... :D

thanks, that sounds great, but i never study at a coffee shop or stay either, always togo...
i was wondering if there is some medical related apps that are sort of essential,
if there isn't i don't think i'll buy ipad, i am not much a tech girl, so i wouldn't be able to use half its functions anyways...
i will stick with my laptop & buy a desktop with a huge screen... :D

My advice is just buy an ultra-light laptop that you can take everywhere with you and buy an external monitor for at home that you can use for histo or anatomy slides.

Tablet question: it depends on the school RVU requires an ipad or ipod touch.

I keep all my stuff on a flash drive and the computer, works well...

Getting a monitor for laptop, is it really worth it? I'd really like input on this, as I've always kind of assumed its a way for these places to make more $$

Getting a monitor for laptop, is it really worth it? I'd really like input on this, as I've always kind of assumed its a way for these places to make more $$

During interviews, I have had two students at different schools tell me a monitor is a good investment. Especially if you have a 12-13 inch laptop.

I tend to agree. For example, if you are studying ppts and have the notes that you made pulled up along side the slides, things are going to get tough to see on a small laptop screen. I think it would make it much easier having that external monitor, especially if you are going to primarily study at home.

Yes get an extra monitor. It's awesome... I'm at work right now on my laptop hooked up to an extra monitor and the screen space is great. 23" monitors are like $100 now.

Depends if you think you're going to stay at home a lot to study. When I can't wake up (which is most of the time), I can just pull up the live lecture recording on my big 24" monitor while I take notes on my laptop. However, I go to the library to study afterwards, so I don't use the monitor afterwards.

If your laptop meets the requirements, they usually don't care, unless you're going to SOMA (maybe KCOM too?) and you HAVE to have one of THEIR computers they pick out.... I think most other places just say it needs to have X, Y, Z components and whatnot... So check with the school... Also some places aren't mac friendly, but... either way...

Also about Lenovo... how much of your money did you want to give to China? They're OWNED by the Chinese government, right there-done deal, won't ever buy one... I'll stick my money somewhere that at least employes US citizens... Dell or Gateway... and of those, I will buy a dell... I have 3 refurbs and they've always been fine... I also have an old macbook, and it's ok. It's portable, it works decently, but it's too old to use for school...

I contacted SOMA's admissions and it appears that their website hasn't been updated yet. You could purchase a tablet/laptop through a specific company associated with the school, or use yours if it meets the requirements. The specifics haven't been released yet, but I thought I should clear things up for those who plans to attend SOMA.

They told us at the interview they don't REALLY want you to use a different one because the IT department has loaners configured to the ones they suggest. They strongly discourage using different ones because the school won't support the other models...

hey guys, quick question for the med students/people who know...

how often do you use laptops in your studies? what type do you recommend? what type do you have?

I use my laptop every single day. I just use a Dell laptop and I take my school notes on it. I really hate carrying about stacks of papers because that can add up fast in medical school.

When you get into medical school, it will recommend one to get. So just get that one. It will be good enough.

Touro NV is one of the other schools that you buy a laptop from when you start school.