Laptop vs. Desktop? @ MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUHoosier21

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether buying a new laptop would be a wise investment. I've got a desktop that I have had for all 4 years of undergrad and it runs perfectly fine, so I don't really need an upgrade performance wise -- especially considering the technology on a new laptop would be about comparable to what I've got now. Is it really that important to have a computer with you at all times? I feel like a laptop may become more of a distraction than a benefit, especially if there are adequate computer available at the school. Anyways, I'd appreciate any opinions you may have, especially if you attend MCW. Thanks.

jash0624

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like having a desktop because it forces me to get off the computer when my butt starts hurting. :D

Mubash'shirah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like having a desktop because it forces me to get off the computer when my butt starts hurting. :D
:) not if you have a comfy desk chair...

I've actually been considering the same thing for a while, I wanted to invest in a laptop but I know I'm going to want to throw it out 2 years later so I'll settle for my desktop for now.
It depends on how much you truly need it/ really really want it.

Know your weaknesses, dude. If you know a laptop will be distracting (and all of MCW is wired for wireless internet), then don't bother. I have a nice desktop (using it now), and an old laptop that I only occasionally use for studying. I'll waste a lot of time if I have the wireless card along, and even if I don't, I'll still be more wasteful with the laptop around. Most people here don't use laptops in class or actually study with them, but some do occasionally.

sejin8642

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have both: the desktop is for internet, games, etc. the labtop is for work stuffs.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
get a tabletpc. you can write on the screen!

That's what I'm planning on doing when I get to medical school. I was very happy when MS announced that Vista contained native tablet PC support. Hopefully by the time I get to med school all of the bugs will be worked out of the OS. Although, knowing MS, that will probably never happen!

squeaky

Hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd wait till you start. If you find yourself constantly in need of a laptop, then by all means buy one. I had the same dilemna towards the end of my undergrad. The computer labs at my school were always packed or too noisy to get any work done, so I invested in a small laptop that I carried with me everywhere. You can get a laptop anytime. I wouldn't rush into buying one until you've "tested the waters."

mdm2fly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have a laptop and you live alone, you will have to have a computer hooked up to the router in order to get wireless, or you have to wire your laptop to the router, but that's a pain (from personal experience)...
...of course, you can always mooch off your neighbors.

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have a laptop and you live alone, you will have to have a computer hooked up to the router in order to get wireless, or you have to wire your laptop to the router, but that's a pain (from personal experience)...
...of course, you can always mooch off your neighbors.

umm, or you could just buy an airport express thingy...

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Dell e1505 is perfect for school work. A jump drive for quick file transfers and my wireless Logitech MX 1000 mouse = :love:

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd only get one if you like to type up notes for studying. Otherwise, med students tend to not use laptops to study.

byong_soo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
IBM T60 is perfect. It has excellent battery life and great performance. I love it!
I have both desktop and laptop, but I use my laptop way more than my desktop. I think it would be better to buy a laptop and perhaps setup a monitor along with a docking station, if you want a big screen at home. That way you can semi have both at half the price!