Laptop vs. Desktop? @ MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUHoosier21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether buying a new laptop would be a wise investment. I've got a desktop that I have had for all 4 years of undergrad and it runs perfectly fine, so I don't really need an upgrade performance wise -- especially considering the technology on a new laptop would be about comparable to what I've got now. Is it really that important to have a computer with you at all times? I feel like a laptop may become more of a distraction than a benefit, especially if there are adequate computer available at the school. Anyways, I'd appreciate any opinions you may have, especially if you attend MCW. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I like having a desktop because it forces me to get off the computer when my butt starts hurting. :D

I like having a desktop because it forces me to get off the computer when my butt starts hurting. :D
:) not if you have a comfy desk chair...

I've actually been considering the same thing for a while, I wanted to invest in a laptop but I know I'm going to want to throw it out 2 years later so I'll settle for my desktop for now.
It depends on how much you truly need it/ really really want it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Know your weaknesses, dude. If you know a laptop will be distracting (and all of MCW is wired for wireless internet), then don't bother. I have a nice desktop (using it now), and an old laptop that I only occasionally use for studying. I'll waste a lot of time if I have the wireless card along, and even if I don't, I'll still be more wasteful with the laptop around. Most people here don't use laptops in class or actually study with them, but some do occasionally.

I have both: the desktop is for internet, games, etc. the labtop is for work stuffs.

get a tabletpc. you can write on the screen!

That's what I'm planning on doing when I get to medical school. I was very happy when MS announced that Vista contained native tablet PC support. Hopefully by the time I get to med school all of the bugs will be worked out of the OS. Although, knowing MS, that will probably never happen!

I'd wait till you start. If you find yourself constantly in need of a laptop, then by all means buy one. I had the same dilemna towards the end of my undergrad. The computer labs at my school were always packed or too noisy to get any work done, so I invested in a small laptop that I carried with me everywhere. You can get a laptop anytime. I wouldn't rush into buying one until you've "tested the waters."

If you have a laptop and you live alone, you will have to have a computer hooked up to the router in order to get wireless, or you have to wire your laptop to the router, but that's a pain (from personal experience)...
...of course, you can always mooch off your neighbors.

If you have a laptop and you live alone, you will have to have a computer hooked up to the router in order to get wireless, or you have to wire your laptop to the router, but that's a pain (from personal experience)...
...of course, you can always mooch off your neighbors.

umm, or you could just buy an airport express thingy...

My Dell e1505 is perfect for school work. A jump drive for quick file transfers and my wireless Logitech MX 1000 mouse = :love:

I'd only get one if you like to type up notes for studying. Otherwise, med students tend to not use laptops to study.

IBM T60 is perfect. It has excellent battery life and great performance. I love it!
I have both desktop and laptop, but I use my laptop way more than my desktop. I think it would be better to buy a laptop and perhaps setup a monitor along with a docking station, if you want a big screen at home. That way you can semi have both at half the price!