large textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most current, comprehensive RO textbook?

Members don't see this ad.

Boomer questions

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
NCCN guidelines

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn’t textbook length decrease as indications for radiation diminish. Willing to bet there won’t be a GI section in 10 years.

I use my Perez & Brady to stamp out cancers, i.e. squish bugs around the house.

Reactions: 5 users
When last I compared them, I found Gunderson and Tepper far better than Perez and Brady. Both have large sections that refer to the "ebook" version.

These days NCCN, RadOncReview, RadOncQuestions, UpToDate are gonna cover your bases

Reactions: 4 users
About the first fifty to one hundred pages of Brady and Perez are pretty good, and I find myself re-reading it every few years or so. But that’s just because I’m a pedant and thus a secret Ed Halperin fan.

About the first fifty to one hundred pages of Brady and Perez are pretty good, and I find myself re-reading it every few years or so. But that’s just because I’m a pedant and thus a secret Ed Halperin fan.
I've read the intro section to Perez and Brady and agree it's well done.

The nice thing about the textbooks is the historical context that you lack in some of the other resources.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the most current, comprehensive RO textbook?
Textbooks are irrelevant except for the historical context they provide. By definition once published they are out of date.

Textbooks are irrelevant except for the historical context they provide. By definition once published they are out of date.
“Things are just changing so fast. Take this textbook here. It only came out last year. And it’s already out of date.”

“My god man. How do you find time to read?”

“Oh. No. This? I wrote it.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
“Things are just changing so fast. Take this textbook here. It only came out last year. And it’s already out of date.”

“My god man. How do you find time to read?”

“Oh. No. This? I wrote it.”
I am old school and remember learning very efficiently from textbooks. We also hear from SDN that radiation oncology is such a stagnant field so logically out of date textbooks should still have clinically useful data. Isn't 60 Gy still a standard dose for GBM?

That being said, NCCN guidelines, E-contour and occasionally UpToDate are my preferred references at work these days to the extent that I practice as a tech-enhanced human.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am old school and remember learning very efficiently from textbooks. We also hear from SDN that radiation oncology is such a stagnant field so logically out of date textbooks should still have clinically useful data. Isn't 60 Gy still a standard dose for GBM?

That being said, NCCN guidelines, E-contour and occasionally UpToDate are my preferred references at work these days to the extent that I practice as a tech-enhanced human.
Have textbooks. Read textbooks. Put away the textbooks. “First must walk, then run. Not my rules, Daniel-san… Nature’s rules.”

Know the rules well so you can break them good.

At this point, the only material I ever need to look up is not in a textbook. Uptodate for non-cancer gen/med type stuff, NCCN guidelines for bread and butter rad onc that I don't usually treat... google scholar for everything else

At this point, the only material I ever need to look up is not in a textbook. Uptodate for non-cancer gen/med type stuff, NCCN guidelines for bread and butter rad onc that I don't usually treat... google scholar for everything else
To study the phenomenon of disease without books is to sail an uncharted sea, while to study books without patients is not to go to sea at all.

– Sir William Osler (old guy who never used the Internet)

To study the phenomenon of disease without books is to sail an uncharted sea, while to study books without patients is not to go to sea at all.

– Sir William Osler (old guy who never used the Internet)
1663610750536.png

Please. Do. Not. Say. Yes.

It is amazing how well thought out and detailed a book like Gunderson is. I have a 2007 edition of Clinical Radiation Oncology. It's beautiful and never read. For the person interested in the historical art of radonc however, it would be an incredible reference.

Also, lots of theory in the book, which I love but almost never use. Evidence based medicine has replaced/devalued the theoretical approach to medicine (except for psych and pancreatic cancer).

• Haha
It is amazing how well thought out and detailed a book like Gunderson is. I have a 2007 edition of Clinical Radiation Oncology. It's beautiful and never read. For the person interested in the historical art of radonc however, it would be an incredible reference.

Also, lots of theory in the book, which I love but almost never use. Evidence based medicine has replaced/devalued the theoretical approach to medicine (except for psych and pancreatic cancer).
Be careful you don’t catch a case of folie à deux if you hang around rad oncs that irradiate pancreases

You guys are funny as always, but I do need a large text to impress medstudents and to appropriate some hospital educational funds. So Perez, Gunderson, or Liebel (if I recall right)?

Publishers relying on this mindset. Stop spending $ on historical artifacts. Let the university library buy one copy for future scholars. Use the development resources more wisely

Looks like none of the major texts have been updated since 2018, is that right? Of the resources suggested above, only Uptodate is a reasonable narrative. Most teaching hospitals provide free access.

Last edited:
If you want textbooks, I suggest the Nancy Lee planning book, the Cleveland clinic red book, videtic treatment planning book, and the green question book. I also like rad onc review online, econtour, and the Estes tables.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like none of the major texts have been updated since 2018, is that right? Of the resources suggested above, only Update is a reasonable narrative. Most teaching hospitals provide free access.
With all the wellness modules and time spent in phone with Evicore nowadays, will we ever get an updated major rad onc textbook again?!

• Haha
Looks like none of the major texts have been updated since 2018, is that right? Of the resources suggested above, only Update is a reasonable narrative. Most teaching hospitals provide free access.
Sweet! That means my chapter is still in press :rofl:

Some of the best reference sources are the insurance guideline documents

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
You guys are funny as always, but I do need a large text to impress medstudents and to appropriate some hospital educational funds. So Perez, Gunderson, or Liebel (if I recall right)?
Modern day med students do not know what textbooks are. It‘s like if you were an 80 year old journalist trying to impress your interns by showing them your typewriter.

I liked Gunderson/Tepper more than Perez/Brady when I was a PGY-2.

That being said, the essentials of rad onc book from CCF is actually the thing that is most clinically useful but not as flowery of writing as the big boys.