Larkin University COP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is selling your soul to another useless college of pharmacy that's helping to destroy our profession.

What's the average GPA and PCAT of Larkin's candidates?

Larkin wanted a 50percent on their PCAT and 2.7 GPA on their website. But during the interview another one of the candidates openly admitted they scored a 34. Probably because they're new they were willing to be more lenient.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Many of the nursing homes my pharmacy services relocated after the storm, they should have done the same.

If you think there will ever be an explanation that vindicates the deaths of multiple patients for something as easily remedied as lack of power, you are delusional. I live in Florida, I know the options that are available. They aren't cheap, but they exist. You can run a generator, you can relocate/evacuate, hell they could have done something as simple as have ice water available for the residents (possibly, the issue may have been bigger than just needing ice water, I admit).

It's good not to jump to conclusions but sometimes issues really are clear cut. Those residents didn't die in the storm and the hurricane didn't reduce Florida to a third world country. The home had options but failed to act and residents died. It's not a complicated issue at all.
Actually, it is. We have been receiving updates from management regarding this tragedy and this is what we know:
Evacuating fragile elderly residents pre-emptively increases their mortality rate by 3 fold.
Also, contrary to what politicians are saying the evacuation plan for nursing homes is to evacuate to another nursing home it has a reciprocal agreement with. That nursing home also did not have power or air conditioning. In fact most South Florida nursing homes the Morning of Wednesday did not have power either. All frantically evacuated after this incident. Some municipalities, like Sunrise, sent a team to install temporary air conditioning in their local nursing home.
Evacuating to a hospital is illegal under Florida law. You call 911 when patients get sick, and the earliest indication that some residents were being affected was the early Morning of Wednesday.
Nursing homes are required to have generators for life safety, and this nursing home complied with all State requirements. It had plenty of water and ice water. However, room temperature is only one risk factor that can lead to Hyperthermia, other risk factors are age, being bed bound, chronic medical conditions, certain medications, etc...room temperature can easily be 79 and core temperature can climb to 109 within minutes. Impossible to predict when.
The nursing home made multiple attempts since Sunday evening with the State and local authorities to have power restored. It deployed spot coolers and fans and did everything in its power to do. They would have needed to predict the future to avoid this tragedy.
This is a bigger issue of power restoration prioritization by utility companies and public officials which has been extensively documented in the literature.
See To Evacuate or Shelter in Place: Implications of Universal Hurricane Evacuation Policies on Nursing Home Residents

Actually, it is. We have been receiving updates from management regarding this tragedy and this is what we know:
Evacuating fragile elderly residents pre-emptively increases their mortality rate by 3 fold.

Is/was this applicable to elderly residents in the path of the most powerful hurricane in a millennia?
Is there an alternative fact?

Are you that intellectually bankrupt that you apply evidence based on normal circumstances to emergency/disasters that they're absolutely not generalizable to?

How many of the evacuated facilities had fatalities because of evacuation?

It seems like bull****

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, ok. I guess everything is fine then. No need for an investigation, folks.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, contrary to what politicians are saying the evacuation plan for nursing homes is to evacuate to another nursing home it has a reciprocal agreement with. That nursing home also did not have power or air conditioning. In fact most South Florida nursing homes the Morning of Wednesday did not have power either. All frantically evacuated after this incident. Some municipalities, like Sunrise, sent a team to install temporary air conditioning in their local nursing home.
Evacuating to a hospital is illegal under Florida law. You call 911 when patients get sick, and the earliest indication that some residents were being affected was the early Morning of Wednesday.
Nursing homes are required to have generators for life safety, and this nursing home complied with all State requirements. It had plenty of water and ice water. However, room temperature is only one risk factor that can lead to Hyperthermia, other risk factors are age, being bed bound, chronic medical conditions, certain medications, etc...room temperature can easily be 79 and core temperature can climb to 109 within minutes. Impossible to predict when.
The nursing home made multiple attempts since Sunday evening with the State and local authorities to have power restored. It deployed spot coolers and fans and did everything in its power to do. They would have needed to predict the future to avoid this tragedy.
This is a bigger issue of power restoration prioritization by utility companies and public officials which has been extensively documented in the literature.
See To Evacuate or Shelter in Place: Implications of Universal Hurricane Evacuation Policies on Nursing Home Residents

I am so tempted to deconstruct this post. I guess in the end it will be pointless (I won't convince you and you will NEVER convince me), but just in case there are people on the sidelines who might be buying into this crap I will try to refute a couple of your points:

If evacuating increases mortality 3 fold, am I to assume that 18 residents would have died if they had evacuated? Interesting idea. I like this tactic, rather than admit that they should have evacuated they double down and say that evacuating would have been MORE dangerous.

Some of my homes evacuated to rented facilities, one in particular went to a sports complex. So they do have options besides "other nursing homes that don't have power".

I never suggested that the hospital was the correct place to evacuate. I do wonder how "illegal" it would have been to call the hospital after say the third death (or god forbid, before the first one), but whatever, that really isn't my argument at all.

I do not understand what your point is about the "life safety" generator. You seem to be suggesting that the deaths had nothing to do with the heat, which is so patently absurd that I don't know how to respond. You are trying to suggest that the generator was being used and that the patient's died for some mystery reason unrelated to not having power? Or that they had a generator but it wasn't being used? Or it was being used but wasn't strong enough to power the AC? I would appreciate some clarity on this topic.

I like shifting blame to the utility companies. "We tried to save our residents but the mean power company wouldn't restore power!" Always someone else's fault.

I like the argument that they did "everything they could" and "would have needed to predict the future to avoid this tragedy". This is an especially compelling argument. After all, how could they have possibly thought that the strongest hurricane to make landfall in the US in what, 80 years, could possibly leave them without power for a few days? Who could plan for something like that?! The answer of course is every other nursing home (and most other businesses) in FL.

One last thought. Do you think that every other nursing home just got lucky? Why is this one nursing home the only one that had this disaster?

(OK in the end I couldn't resist deconstruction)

I am so tempted to deconstruct this post. I guess in the end it will be pointless (I won't convince you and you will NEVER convince me), but just in case there are people on the sidelines who might be buying into this crap I will try to refute a couple of your points:

If evacuating increases mortality 3 fold, am I to assume that 18 residents would have died if they had evacuated? Interesting idea. I like this tactic, rather than admit that they should have evacuated they double down and say that evacuating would have been MORE dangerous.

Some of my homes evacuated to rented facilities, one in particular went to a sports complex. So they do have options besides "other nursing homes that don't have power".

I never suggested that the hospital was the correct place to evacuate. I do wonder how "illegal" it would have been to call the hospital after say the third death (or god forbid, before the first one), but whatever, that really isn't my argument at all.

I do not understand what your point is about the "life safety" generator. You seem to be suggesting that the deaths had nothing to do with the heat, which is so patently absurd that I don't know how to respond. You are trying to suggest that the generator was being used and that the patient's died for some mystery reason unrelated to not having power? Or that they had a generator but it wasn't being used? Or it was being used but wasn't strong enough to power the AC? I would appreciate some clarity on this topic.

I like shifting blame to the utility companies. "We tried to save our residents but the mean power company wouldn't restore power!" Always someone else's fault.

I like the argument that they did "everything they could" and "would have needed to predict the future to avoid this tragedy". This is an especially compelling argument. After all, how could they have possibly thought that the strongest hurricane to make landfall in the US in what, 80 years, could possibly leave them without power for a few days? Who could plan for something like that?! The answer of course is every other nursing home (and most other businesses) in FL.

One last thought. Do you think that every other nursing home just got lucky? Why is this one nursing home the only one that had this disaster?

(OK in the end I couldn't resist deconstruction)
The issue is that you are assuming that all the deaths were due to heat. That is not true. In fact, most were not.
I am not interested in arguing, the only thing I can tell you is that it's better to know all the facts before making conclusions, including how many other people from ALFs and Nursing Homes died that week

The issue is that you are assuming that all the deaths were due to heat. That is not true. In fact, most were not.
Ik

http://gifshd.com/r/30f8aba.gif

Jesus Wept.

Were these people electricity dependent cyborgs, then?

Did they die as a result of barometric pressure?

Can you name a single theoretical mechanism or cause of death due to power outage that isn't heat related?

I am not interested in arguing, the only thing I can tell you is that it's better to know all the facts before making conclusions, including how many other people from ALFs and Nursing Homes died that week

I'm not from FL so I don't really know, but I read that there is a huge hospital right across the street from that home, is that true? To be fair, you can't say the deaths weren't heat related either since they haven't released that information.

Bottom line is someone dropped the ball. It took hospital staff to walk down to the home, and see its condition for it to be evacuated. That's not ok....

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not from FL so I don't really know, but I read that there is a huge hospital right across the street from that home, is that true? To be fair, you can't say the deaths weren't heat related either since they haven't released that information.
Bottom line is someone dropped the ball. It took hospital staff to walk down to the home, and see its condition for it to be evacuated. That's not ok....
Yup.

It's sad that a Larkin college of pharmacy representative is publicly defending the nursing home, when hospital staff thought it was so appalling that they forced the evacuation.

Proximity to hospital really is a red herring. It doesn't matter if they were 10 feet from a hospital or 10 miles. It really doesn't change anything, other than adding a touch of irony to the horrible tragedy.

I actually did not know that it was the hospital staff walked down to the home and ordered the evacuation. Apparently it would have been illegal for the home to call 911 (per LarkinpharmD) though so how did the hospital staff know to go take a look I wonder?

Reactions: 1 user
Proximity to hospital really is a red herring. It doesn't matter if they were 10 feet from a hospital or 10 miles. It really doesn't change anything, other than adding a touch of irony to the horrible tragedy.

I actually did not know that it was the hospital staff walked down to the home and ordered the evacuation. Apparently it would have been illegal for the home to call 911 (per LarkinpharmD) though so how did the hospital staff know to go take a look I wonder?

They kept getting patient after patient in the ER from this home that the hospital sent someone down there to see what the problem was

Yup.

It's sad that a Larkin college of pharmacy representative is publicly defending the nursing home, when hospital staff thought it was so appalling that they forced the evacuation.
I guess the answer is that I know the facts and you are just going by media reports

You are taking media accounts as fact. It was EMS that did the evacuation.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about multiple comorbidities and being in hospice care?
Are you attempting to use circular logic?

Your post addresses why someone may be susceptible to heat.

Were these multiple comorbidities dependent on power outages?

Are you suggesting the repeated emergency room visits from the home were just a coincidence or bad timing?

Last edited:
The best way to lose credibility is to argue against everything everyone is saying to you just because it's against you or something you represent.

Also, didn't you say you were just a student at Larkin (referring to people as "classmates" at Larkin in a previous post). Yet somehow you know all the details about admission, the hospital system, the owners of associated hospital systems and the details of these incidences. Interesting.

I read the article you posted, @LarkinpharmD. See quote:
""It was not immediately clear why, when technicians did not arrive and the heat became oppressive, the staff did not evacuate residents." But Julie Allison, a lawyer for the nursing home, said that “there was no indication they needed to be evacuated until the early morning hours” of Wednesday, when residents started to fall ill."

"No indication" as in patient's didn't start decompensating until Wednesday morning. However, if you knew AC/power whatever was off for two days straight you should make preemptive moves to help save these patients. You shouldn't wait until something is actually wrong with the patients to evacuate them. Obviously it will be too late by then, especially since they're older, high risk, or hospice patients.

How about multiple comorbidities and being in hospice care?

You realize this is why the patient's were vulnerable to dehydration, right? And why they needed to be taken care of? Literally every SNF in FL has to account for this and it seems that most did a far better job.

Its not fine. But we must learn to seek facts Vs fake media reports

There it is. "Fake news". Let's stick to the facts, shall we? Exactly which part of the news is fake and what is the true story?

Ok, so I should believe a random Facebook post over news reports? Dear God the cognitive dissonance is strong in this one. Or do you really believe one person's biased viewpoint supersedes all other facts and news reports?

There it is. "Fake news". Let's stick to the facts, shall we? Exactly which part of the news is fake and what is the true story?
I physically cringed reading that. I guess that term is now part of our shared vernacular.

I had mixed this LarkinpharmD poster up and thought it was the Larkin administrator that frequently posts here. I was wondering why they were publically commenting on something like this, it seemed very unusual. I see it's just a defensive student.

Ummm, you should be aware that CMS doesn't consider cause to open up an investigation when a mortality epidemic happens within a health care institution if basic services are out and beneath care standard for any reason (and yes, this includes tornado). They only consider the aftermath. It's the same as if you manage to get a ship sunk or defraud the government out of money, an investigation is guaranteed from the administrative level.

However, CMS (and HHS for that matter) NEVER opens a criminal investigation without something major to go upon. It's such a use of DoJ resources that it has to be a special case as the US Attorney for a state has to go to DC for permission to pursue.

Irrespective of politics and whether or not FL's oversight of the nursing home was adequate, it will be the responsibility of the nursing home owner (NOT the state) to prove that the deaths were unavoidable, or at a lesser standard, that they were not negligent in this. The very fact of the matter with this many deaths in a small timeframe is a res ipsa loquitur that the nursing home has to argue for their lack of contributory negligence. This is not one of the areas where you are innocent until proven guilty, and the nursing home sure looks pretty guilty if the hospital had to be the group to shut it down.

Again, if the nursing home cannot show that they were not negligent, then they will be found negligent as that is too many deaths in a timespan to be considered acceptable for an operating skilled nursing facility.

Ummm, you should be aware that CMS doesn't consider cause to open up an investigation when a mortality epidemic happens within a health care institution if basic services are out and beneath care standard for any reason (and yes, this includes tornado). They only consider the aftermath. It's the same as if you manage to get a ship sunk or defraud the government out of money, an investigation is guaranteed from the administrative level.

However, CMS (and HHS for that matter) NEVER opens a criminal investigation without something major to go upon. It's such a use of DoJ resources that it has to be a special case as the US Attorney for a state has to go to DC for permission to pursue.

Irrespective of politics and whether or not FL's oversight of the nursing home was adequate, it will be the responsibility of the nursing home owner (NOT the state) to prove that the deaths were unavoidable, or at a lesser standard, that they were not negligent in this. The very fact of the matter with this many deaths in a small timeframe is a res ipsa loquitur that the nursing home has to argue for their lack of contributory negligence. This is not one of the areas where you are innocent until proven guilty, and the nursing home sure looks pretty guilty if the hospital had to be the group to shut it down.

Again, if the nursing home cannot show that they were not negligent, then they will be found negligent as that is too many deaths in a timespan to be considered acceptable for an operating skilled nursing facility.
really?
What is an acceptable number of deaths?
Your facts are not correct, but there is no point in arguing when you already formed an opinion based in news media. Let's wait until all the facts come out

You realize this is why the patient's were vulnerable to dehydration, right? And why they needed to be taken care of? Literally every SNF in FL has to account for this and it seems that most did a far better job.

Ok, so I should believe a random Facebook post over news reports? Dear God the cognitive dissonance is strong in this one. Or do you really believe one person's biased viewpoint supersedes all other facts and news reports?

I encourage you all to read the book "Flood of Lies: The St Rita's Nursing Home Tragedy" by James Cobb.
This was a nursing home flooded during Katrina, 35 wheelchair bound patients died.
Same false media reports, politicians trying to find scapegoats, same accusations, at the end the operators were vindicated.
Dejavou.

really?
Your facts are not correct, but there is no point in arguing when you already formed an opinion based in news media. Let's wait until all the facts come out

"Let's wait until all the... Attention dies down and everyone goes about it"

Fix'd your post

really?

No, I specifically made it a point not to argue the news, just the number of deaths within a day. That is the only external fact I need, and the rest is CMS itself. That has no opinion, those dead patients are really dead in the care of the nursing home. For an inquest, the acceptable number of deaths is zero (as in, like everything else, every death in a nursing home that is unexplained receives an inquest). For an administrative investigation (dispatched not from the CMS Region but from White Oak HQ), it is two. For a criminal investigation, it is the number of deaths such that an external health care institution files a Present On Admission report to CMS HQ.

You need to take some time to analyze your information and stop blindly arguing without a floor. I am trying to say that irrespective of the reason, the number of deaths occurring within such a short period of time is guaranteed an investigation, but the criminal element is not the standard way CMS conducts its investigations. For them to do so, this means that the report that causes it was signed off by the CMS Region, sent to White Oak for an IG read, and the IG has to go into DC itself and discuss the matter with the Department of Justice to authorize this. Politics can actually shorten this chain, but at a minimum, someone at DC really has a problem with the way the events have happened.

This will get sorted out, but honestly, it's just another day in the US. I'm not particularly sympathetic as allow continued care without sanction in that nursing home considering its violations, what did anyone expect? This is one of the reasons why nursing homes are a frontier where I don't want to go.

I encourage you all to read the book "Flood of Lies: The St Rita's Nursing Home Tragedy" by James Cobb.
This was a nursing home flooded during Katrina, 35 wheelchair bound patients died.
Same false media reports, politicians trying to find scapegoats, same accusations, at the end the operators were vindicated.
Dejavou.
Arelys??!! :thinking:

Dejavou.
Quick question:

Are the following situations the same:

A.)
The building is easily accessible on foot or by vehicle, but it's very hot and doesn't have power.

B.)
The building is literally full of water.

Larkin wanted a 50percent on their PCAT and 2.7 GPA on their website. But during the interview another one of the candidates openly admitted they scored a 34. Probably because they're new they were willing to be more lenient.

Not sure what you are referring to as far as "diploma mill". Larkin inaugural class was 62 students. 80% came for underrepresented minorities, many would not have been able to relocate to go to College of Pharmacy. Maybe you are referring to places that have campuses as far as Puerto Rico, and are graduating hundreds of pharmacists. Those are the true diploma mills.
Our new school benefits the profession of pharmacy in many ways: we have travelled to Tallahassee to advocate for expanding the currently limited role of pharmacists in Florida. We have hosted representative Carter, the only pharmacist in Congress to advocate for expansion of the roles of pharmacists with new proposed legislation. We are explaining the value of the new legislation and how it will help patients to Senator Rubio to add him as a sponsor.
We have done this in the last 9 months.
What have the "establishment schools" done in the last 50 years? Other than make money?

44% of your class failed the NAPLEX, a minimal competency exam. That effectively means that at least 44% are not even minimally competent to practice pharmacy.

What does that say about your school's standards?

44% of your class failed the NAPLEX, a minimal competency exam. That effectively means that at least 44% are not even minimally competent to practice pharmacy.

What does that say about your school's standards?

So funny that this person questions what other schools have done besides make money. One thing these other schools have done was to prepare more than 56% of their class for the naplex.

Last edited:
So funny that this person questions what other schools have done besides make money. One thing these other schools have done was to prepare more than 54% of their class for the naplex.

Which is arguably the purpose of a school of pharmacy. Counterintuitive, I know.

Not to mention Nova and PBA are both located in South Florida and are close to Trirail stops if you can't drive. No one has to relocate if they don't want to. Not that I'm a big fan of those schools either. I'd rather south Florida have a state college of pharmacy and be rid of the for-profit institutions.

Maybe Pharmacists should display their diplomas and not just their licenses in the pharmacy.....seeing aLarkin PharmD on the wall might give the patients a chance to run

Maybe Pharmacists should display their diplomas and not just their licenses in the pharmacy.....seeing aLarkin PharmD on the wall might give the patients a chance to run

When I worked at CVS they displayed which school the pharmacist went to on their wall portrait. But I doubt any patient notices or cares. They are not checking NAPLEX pass rates.

When I worked at CVS they displayed which school the pharmacist went to on their wall portrait. But I doubt any patient notices or cares. They are not checking NAPLEX pass rates.

Patients/corporate care primarily about:
1) If you can pick the phone within 3 rings
2) If a waiter can be ready in 15 min
3) Copays

True

But the first fatality or hospitalization due to a pharmacist f-up might change that

Oh, I'm not being close minded. I'm being realistic. I have the benefit of experience. I was told many of the same things you were when I was in pharmacy school. The academy has been talking about provider status, collaborative practice, MTM, expanding clinical services and the works for well over a decade. This IS the establishment line of thinking. Can you show any substantial evidence that Larkin has contributed in any meaningful way towards achieving these goals? The current federal provider status bill has been lingering in congress since before Larkin accepted it's first round of students. You aren't telling us anything we don't already know. We are the people who have been on the front lines of pharmacy and have fought to push it forward.

Sorry if I come off as hostile, but your responses have been very confrontational and defensive. I do hope you have good luck in your career. As someone who has lived in South Florida and worked for one of the large hospitals you mentioned earlier, I know first hand just how difficult the job market is in the area. I remember when your professors first came to our hospital to find rotation sites. In an area where people are struggling so hard to find employment, the absolute last thing we needed was another for-profit institution to open another pharmacy school. Your professors may sugarcoat it and make it sound noble, but this was an attempt to make money and nothing else. There was no need for this school and it is the new graduates who are going to suffer the consequences.

You may not like what I have to say, but that is my opinion on the matter. Don't forget what you said to me.. "It's amazing how you can be so closed minded that you cannot bear the concept of an opposing view."

Oooofffff... I'm going to be sick. Talk about underselling the worth of your education or your ability to adapt and learn as a pharmacist. Reminds me of a PGY1 resident who was considering a PGY2 just because he didn't feel ready to take on a staffing job. At some point you have to take off the training wheels and step up. People are putting the cart before the horse with this training. Graduating PGY3 pharmacists won't magically manifest some sort of amazing clinical job, it will just raise the bar for our entry-level positions.

Not to mention the slap in the face to take 4 years of pharmacy school and 3 years of residency and still have less authority than a PA with 2 years of school.
PGY-3 is not going to be marketable. Whoever fellow thought of this is stupid. For the same time commitment, I would do a medical residency/fellowship be guaranteed a job at the end

figure I would dig up this thread and congratulate Larkin on 48% pass rate on the MPJE and 60% on the NAPLEX - sounds like they know what they are doing

Larkin has adopted a new motto.

'We may not be great, but we're better than CSU'!

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
how are these schools still open? and how are the students from these schools finding jobs?!