Last chance to take MCAT before primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the last date to take the MCAT so that schools receive my application with my MCAT score at the earliest? I know that we can submit our primary on June 1, and if I understand correctly they release the applications to schools July 1. If I take a May MCAT, and the scores are released sometime in June, is that ok?

Members don't see this ad.

In MSAR you can see when your target schools begin reviewing applications. The earliest school I'm applying to begins reviewing on June 26th, so I am taking the exam on May 19th in order to have my score by June 19th.

Here is a list of MCAT dates, and the corresponding score release dates: MCAT Test Dates and Registration

Reactions: 1 user
In MSAR you can see when your target schools begin reviewing applications. The earliest school I'm applying to begins reviewing on June 26th, so I am taking the exam on May 19th in order to have my score by June 19th.

Here is a list of MCAT dates, and the corresponding score release dates: MCAT Test Dates and Registration
I apologize for my ignorance, but what is MSAR?
Edit: nevermind, I googled it.

I found your post very helpful. Is your understanding that, if the schools to which you are applying start reviewing application after your exam score release date (I'm looking at rescheduling to be May 19th with June 19th score release as well) that there is no disadvantage whatsoever?

I went through ~60% of schools MSAR (didn't look at bottom tier, isolated rural locations, not my cup of tea etc.) and among those, only SUNY, UT at Austin, USC, and Wash U St. Louis had pre-June 19th dates for beginning their application review.
So if that proportion is any indication, there are ~10 or fewer schools that start review before then. It lists 2017 dates though...this is still accurate in 2018? Earliest application submission date was June 1 in 2017 too so there is reason to think the dates would be unchanged - I just don't get why it says 2017. I just want to confirm you have reached the same conclusion on this based on the same information and that was what went into you going with your test date.

So you're sure not an application "line" that accumulates before they even begin reviewing apps that you are figuratively in the back of by applying ~3 weeks into June? It just seems a little too good to be true... because the common wisdom seems to be that April is the latest you can go without facing a potential disadvantage - is that just wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
I found your post very helpful. Is your understanding that, if the schools to which you are applying start reviewing application after your exam score release date (I'm looking at rescheduling to be May 19th with June 19th score release as well) that there is no disadvantage whatsoever?

Thanks
Yeah, exactly. If they aren't even gonna look at it until June 26th, I'll take the extra time for studying. I guess they could begin reviewing earlier this year but even if your score comes in a few weeks after they begin review, you're probably still at the front of the line.

I've never heard of the April MCAT deadline. I don't see why you would need to take it in April. I guess to have more time to fine tune your school list based on your score? I'm pretty much just building a school list for different MCAT scenarios (i.e. if I get a 515 I'll apply to these schools, 510 these schools, what do I do if I get a 505, etc)