Last minute decision: UVM vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyalya5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems like the same old story. I was very happy to get into UVM. I liked the school, the students, even the admin staff was super nice. Then I went there to look for a place and realized just how rural it is. I like nature, hiking, skiing but I love living in Boston. I love the art and music scene there and all my friends are here.
In any case this Friday I got a call from BU offering me a spot there. I have till tomorrow to decide. I see BU as more competitive, also more traditional in terms of curriculum. VT has a new intergrated curriculum: one class at a time and March start for clinical int he 2nd year. It also seems that students in VT find/make time to have a more balanced life. But BU will probably give me more opportunities to do specialty care if I decide to go that way.

In any case I know I am supposed to go with my instinct. But it seems I want 2 conflicting things. Any thoughts? Also can anyone comment on life at BU.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

and thus the quarter was created.

sorry, i just had to say that since i thought it was funny.
however, all i can say is congrats on the acceptances, and i hope someone else that actually knows the schools can help you

i have heard that UVM is a nice school and area, but this was from someone who loves Vermont to death, so a bit biased...but I wouldn't doubt it

lyalya5 said:
This seems like the same old story. I was very happy to get into UVM. I liked the school, the students, even the admin staff was super nice. Then I went there to look for a place and realized just how rural it is. I like nature, hiking, skiing but I love living in Boston. I love the art and music scene there and all my friends are here.
In any case this Friday I got a call from BU offering me a spot there. I have till tomorrow to decide. I see BU as more competitive, also more traditional in terms of curriculum. VT has a new intergrated curriculum: one class at a time and March start for clinical int he 2nd year. It also seems that students in VT find/make time to have a more balanced life. But BU will probably give me more opportunities to do specialty care if I decide to go that way.

In any case I know I am supposed to go with my instinct. But it seems I want 2 conflicting things. Any thoughts? Also can anyone comment on life at BU.
Thanks

Hi. Congratulations on both acceptances! It's a tough decision - I actually had to make pretty much the same choice 2 years ago. I chose UVM and am very happy with my decision. I had lived in Boston for a few years and did the BU GMS program so I had a good understanding of what med school at BU is like. I wanted to stay in New England and the choice came down to BU versus UVM. I'm like you in that I do like city life and was afraid that Vermont would be too rural. But after being here for a few months, I was definitely surprised as to how great of a social setting Burlington has. I also think the atmosphere is a lot more chill here than it was in Boston and that goes a long, long way at making life a lot more manageable. Another huge plus is that my total cost of education is probably half of what it would have been had I decided to remain in Boston -- life here is certainly a lot less expensive. As to opportunites to do specialty work, I believe there is absolutely no disadvantage to being at UVM. I have many friends who did the BU GMS program with me and are now at BU and comparing my experience to theirs I actually think they have a tougher time getting exposure to specialties because the competition in Boston and at BU is extremely intense. Here, if you want exposure to a particular specialty, all you have to do is express interest. Plus, the BU curriculum, based on my experience with the 1st year courses, just puts undue pressure on students and is not as focused on patient care as UVM's. I'm definitely not a die-hard Vermonter and am a full-on city person. And still, I am extremely happy that I chose UVM. I'm having a really good time while getting a top-notch education so what more could I ask for! Anyhow, the best of luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
lyalya5 said:
Thanks

I currently work for UVM's COM and I'm applying to their EDP for 2006. As a native Vermonter I can assure you that there's plenty to do in Burlington that doesn't involve hiking or skiiing. There is always something going on downtown and if that isn't enough, Montreal is just a short drive away. Plus, Boston isn't too far either.

You'll get a great education at either school. It all depends on where you would feel most comfortable. Good luck with whatever you decide!

go to boston