Last Minute Ranklist Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurolina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interviewed at a few of these on your list. Just some random points:

Jefferson--what stuck out to me were the fact that you can make a TON of money moonlighting ($1000/night moonlighting in the ICUs as a PGY3 or PGY4--one PGY4 told us she made a gross of $30,000 in extra income from moonlighting alone) and the fact that most of their volume comes from transfers from other smaller hospitals Jefferson has acquired. OF all the philly hospitals, their slice of philly is the smallest (something like 6-7 blocks?) so they see less native foot traffic to their ED and more transfers that according to the residents they often have to "re-do" the workup for. Also, was wary of the fact that the children's hospital is in Delaware because parking is extremely expensive ($200/month) so most residents don't have a car and the train to Dupont takes 1.5 hours+ one way. Then again, the peds rotations are only 3 months out of all 4 years
Cincy--loved the program! They have a tri-state catchment area and my friend applying peds said that the peds hospital sees quite a diverse patient population from that catchment area (i.e. not including transfers) so that reassured me a bit that they actually do have a diverse patient pop to treat but probably not as much as the other cities on your list. only "cons" I can think of are 1) no moonlighting 2) cincy definitely felt like your typical small non-coastal city (which isn't a dealbreaker for me but everyone is different) so less to do in free time compared to more major coastal cities 3) no free food (again minor, but it stood out just because other programs I'd interviewed at always seemed to make free food allowances a point)
Case Western--had similar experience with Case. On paper, amazing and everything I could want. I also liked Cleveland as it seemed to have a lot to do in it. But the overselling the PD, Chair and faculty did of the program (i.e. putting down other programs to make Case seem superior) as well as the constant comparison to Cleveland Clinic left a bad taste in my mouth. However, that and the EMR (Allscripts--have not heard good things about this EMR from anyone) were the only negatives I can think of. Very strong subspecialties.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at a few of these on your list. Just some random points:

Jefferson--what stuck out to me were the fact that you can make a TON of money moonlighting ($1000/night moonlighting in the ICUs as a PGY3 or PGY4--one PGY4 told us she made a gross of $30,000 in extra income from moonlighting alone) and the fact that most of their volume comes from transfers from other smaller hospitals Jefferson has acquired. OF all the philly hospitals, their slice of philly is the smallest (something like 6-7 blocks?) so they see less native foot traffic to their ED and more transfers that according to the residents they often have to "re-do" the workup for. Also, was wary of the fact that the children's hospital is in Delaware because parking is extremely expensive ($200/month) so most residents don't have a car and the train to Dupont takes 1.5 hours+ one way. Then again, the peds rotations are only 3 months out of all 4 years
Cincy--loved the program! They have a tri-state catchment area and my friend applying peds said that the peds hospital sees quite a diverse patient population from that catchment area (i.e. not including transfers) so that reassured me a bit that they actually do have a diverse patient pop to treat but probably not as much as the other cities on your list. only "cons" I can think of are 1) no moonlighting 2) cincy definitely felt like your typical small non-coastal city (which isn't a dealbreaker for me but everyone is different) so less to do in free time compared to more major coastal cities 3) no free food (again minor, but it stood out just because other programs I'd interviewed at always seemed to make free food allowances a point)
Case Western--had similar experience with Case. On paper, amazing and everything I could want. I also liked Cleveland as it seemed to have a lot to do in it. But the overselling the PD, Chair and faculty did of the program (i.e. putting down other programs to make Case seem superior) as well as the constant comparison to Cleveland Clinic left a bad taste in my mouth. However, that and the EMR (Allscripts--have not heard good things about this EMR from anyone) were the only negatives I can think of. Very strong subspecialties.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! Your response had some great points and I really appreciate it! I saw your thread asking about UNC but unfortunately I am not familiar with the school.

Reactions: 1 user