Last Time I Will Ever Post This (promise)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingagain

Soon to have no life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted some honest advice. I have a 3.26 GPA and just found out my MCATs. 10V, 9P, 10B.

What are my chances? Non-traditional with various volunteer and surgical experience.

Lemme know!!! Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You already know the 3.26 is the problem. What undergraduate is it from?

Yes, I know. (sigh)

It was from the University of Kentucky in Biology. I graduated in 2000.

Members don't see this ad :)
tryingagain, i think you an OK chance. What may help you is your non-traditional status, which comes a long with life experience. Your GPA is kind of low (national average being 3.5), and your MCAT is right on the national average~29. You have some unique experience will help you a lot. If you don't get in the first time, just do some post bacc (4.0 in post bacc looks really good) work to tell the ADCOM you are a very serious student. I know you all hate this topic but if you are a URM that will help a lot. I hope my two cents helped. Good luck.

I agree with premeditate. You should do some postbac and pull in mostly A's in science courses to show that you are really capable of performing well and to distance yourself from some of the lower grades. So if you apply this year, enroll in your local university and take a couple of classes to show that you are still trying to build your science knowledge.

tryingagain, I would apply to a lot of low tier school (in addition to your state school) and few low tier schools. Especially, apply to schools that look favorable towards non-traditional student. I would also apply to middle-tier school because you might get lucky. Hey, but never gave up because if you want to become a doctor, don't let anything stand in your way. A lot of people had got in with your stats and lower, you might be the next one to do so. Buena suerte. :wink:

sorry i meant low tier schools and middle tier schools

ok, I'm from ky so I'll apply to U of L and UK. Any other advice on which "middle and low tier" schools might be of interest to me?

I can't go to grad school because I have already started working.

how do you find pot schools that favor non-traditional students?

Hey

I suggest you go for post bac as well, and I think there are some 1 year masters program on medical science. You need to proof to the adcom that you can improve on that GPA. This way they know that you're committed :) Good luck!

El Tico
-----------------------------------
World Cup update
Costa Rica 1 - Turkey 1
GOOOOO TICOS!!!!!!!

I am from TN and I think that if our state schools accept any out of staters it would be from the nearby states. So you could apply to ETSU, UT Memphis and possibly Meharry (although Meharry is private). I think MCW would also be good, MCP, Creighton, etc. Look in the MSAR and it will tell you which schools are open minded about non-trads..

ok, dumb question but what is MSAR?

another dumb question...what is URM? :rolleyes:

Under Represented Minority

African American, Native American, etc.

MSAR= Medical School Admissions Requirements. Purchase it from AAMC or your local book store, it has been said to be the admissions bible.

MSAR - Medical School Admission Requirements...check Amazon.com, they just published a new one.

URM - Under-Represented Minority...no all minorities, just ones that are under-represented in medicine.

I think you have a decent shot at SOME medical school. As others have said, I'd apply to low and middle tier schools only, and apply to lots - about 15 or 20.

I DON'T think you should bother with a post-bacc unless this cycle doesn't work out for you. It's definitely worth a shot, since your MCAT is decent and your GPA is not completely unreasonable (it's low, but it may still get you in). I'd start getting REALLY friendly with the adcoms at schools you think you have a good shot at so that when your app comes through, they give you the benefit of the doubt. While this may not give you the advantage for an acceptance, it may seal a few interviews for you.

I can't go to grad school because I own my own medical related business. The only thing that could pull me away from it is getting accepted to med school which has always been a dream (thus the reason I took the mcat for the second time).

Keep the advice coming. God knows I need some guidance right now.

Try calling the schools you are interested in! Last year I called our state school and asked this very question. (I haven't taken MCAT so my question concerned gpa only). My undergrad was a 3.35 (Civil Engr) and I wondered if this low gpa would prevent me from being admitted. I spoke to a wonderful woman who explained the process to me and encouraged me to apply. YES, it is possible to be accepted with a low gpa. Being a non trad works to our benefit. Our personal statement carries more weight...and those E.C.'s are crutial. As long as the minimun requirements for admission are met, there is no reason not to apply. My advice is to call the schools you are interested in and ask specifically what they look for in a non-trad. Additionally ask what you can do to bolster your application. Good luck.