Last year: 2.77 GPA. This year: accepted to Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in to med school today. First interview: first acceptance.

What I did wrong:
-screwed around in college and got a 2.77 in 5 years
-7 W's in 5-6 different semesters
-academic probation
-failed a couple classes
-applied in november... screwed up AMCAS, not verified until december
-had a great time for five years in undergrad

What I did right:
-did an informal post-bacc with 36 credits at time of AMCAS, 48 with updated transcript at about 3.9 (most BCPM with a few 100 level GPA padders here and there)
-got a 38P on the MCAT after studying my ass off
-not listened to Law2Doc and all the nay-sayers :smuggrin: ;)

I read these boards religiously throughout the past year and drove myself crazy. I've started my share of "what are my chances threads?" and got a lot of laughs in my face. Freaked out about applying late. Freaked out about my low GPA. Freaked out about my W's. Freaked out about all of my red flags... Moral of the story? Don't take advice dispensed on SDN too seriously :thumbup: ... there are lots of exceptions like me, and you don't need to be a pre-med super-geek to get in to med school

BTW: pats on the back are welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations!!! :D :D :D

:pats on the back: You did a bang up job UMP. :thumbup: Hopefully I can do the same as you by the end of this application cycle. We need more threads like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicely done! I see myself following in your footsteps here in the near future :rolleyes: :D

UMP already said congrats but another super congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like a 3rd year med student I know of. This guy had 8 F's on his transcript from a community college. But he went to the Navy for 2 years which helped him learn how to focus and become more disciplined. He ended up doing really well when he came back around with a 3.9 GPA when he came back and did his bachelors. Got an MCAT score 1 pt lower then yours and had 4 interviews, 2 of which he did not attend. The other 2 led to waitlists of which he got into his top choice in the home state. :)

Also reminds me of that guy who used to post on here last cycle: Labmonster. He had the same scenario as you but had a 33 on his MCAT. One interview and one acceptance.

Word up, I've seen a lot of "your chances are slim" replies, it's good to see a post that shows no matter what you did in undergrad, hit the books and fight for your education for a year and it'll happen. My Undergrad gpa is a little better than yours but not dramatically and I too busted my ass in some creative postbacc "maneuvery" I haven't gotten an acceptance yet but this post gives me hope. :thumbup:

Congratulations! This is just the motivational post that someone who just got a depressing MCAT score needs to hear.

I wish you the best next year! Thanks for the cheering up.

Your an inspiration to us all. Congrads and I am truely happy and ecstatic that there are determined students like yourself who has managed to flip their life around. I am also very impressed and somewhat jealous of your MCAT score ;)

Good Job! :thumbup:

What I did wrong:
-academic probation
-failed a couple classes

What I did right:
-did an informal post-bacc with 36 credits at time of AMCAS, 48 with updated transcript at about 3.9 (most BCPM with a few 100 level GPA padders here and there)

I read these boards religiously throughout the past year and drove myself crazy. I've started my share of "what are my chances threads?" and got a lot of laughs in my face. Freaked out about applying late. Freaked out about my low GPA. Freaked out about my W's. Freaked out about all of my red flags... Moral of the story? Don't take advice dispensed on SDN too seriously :thumbup: ... there are lots of exceptions like me, and you don't need to be a pre-med super-geek to get in to med school

WAY TO GO UMP!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::)

Never listen to the people who tell you that you can't. 2.0 first time around(over 5 years) and 3.98 PB with a 10 year career in between. I was also accepted this year. 5 interviews and waiting on answers from the other 4 in March. I appreciate your story and am damn happy for you. The past can be fixed! Had the w's and probation myself. Great story! Congrats again! Where are you going?

What I did wrong:
-academic probation
-failed a couple classes

What I did right:

Members don't see this ad :)
Never listen to the people who tell you that you can't. 2.0 first time around(over 5 years) and 3.98 PB with a 10 year career in between. I was also accepted this year. 5 interviews and waiting on answers from the other 4 in March. I appreciate your story and am damn happy for you. The past can be fixed! Had the w's and probation myself. Great story! Congrats again! Where are you going?

in-state school: Wayne State in Detroit... I'm giving emergency medicine a hard look since I'll see plenty of interesting things there ;)

Good job yourself... where are you going?

You must of had outstanding EC's, what medical school did you get accepted to?

UMP already said congrats but another super congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like a 3rd year med student I know of. This guy had 8 F's on his transcript from a community college. But he went to the Navy for 2 years which helped him learn how to focus and become more disciplined. He ended up doing really well when he came back around with a 3.9 GPA when he came back and did his bachelors. Got an MCAT score 1 pt lower then yours and had 4 interviews, 2 of which he did not attend. The other 2 led to waitlists of which he got into his top choice in the home state. :)

Also reminds me of that guy who used to post on here last cycle: Labmonster. He had the same scenario as you but had a 33 on his MCAT. One interview and one acceptance.

That is what i call 100%...perfecta!

Congratulations- it feels like you've come full circle now! So I will rename you: cUMP.

I had more W's than you but in less semesters. Every interviewer I had cared more about the one D than all my W's combined.

I am on the Emergency band wagon too. I work in Denver's county ER now...crazy! I am in at SUNY Upstate which I like a lot and waiting on Colorado(home), RFU and BU. All very strong ERs. Congrats again!

in-state school: Wayne State in Detroit... I'm giving emergency medicine a hard look since I'll see plenty of interesting things there ;)

Good job yourself... where are you going?

*Thump*Thump*Thump
pats on the back

I'd love to hear/read more of your story. Your situation sounds alot like me. But I haven't started applying yet.

good for you and good luck next year.

You must of had outstanding EC's, what medical school did you get accepted to?

my EC's were not spectacular... but they showed that I was doing SOMETHING with myself other than studying (which I did very little of). I mostly worked during undergrad and I did a few things with my ethnic group organization on campus... a few weeks of volunteering, some bench research... nothing that would wow anyone... but I guess it was enough

Will you change that title under your username to "Recovered Under-Achiever" from "Recovering Under-Achiever"? ;)

:still patting on the back:

Will you change that title under your username to "Recovered Under-Achiever" from "Recovering Under-Achiever"? ;)

:still patting on the back:

hmmm... might have to... i don't feel like i'll be fully back until after Step I though ;) I need something to obsess about...

WOW! Congrats- I feel like we are in a similar situation. 2.75 first degree; approx 13 Withdrawels and 3 F's. Partied a little too hard, but it was a lot of fun :D

Got 3.9 on pst bacc, 31 MCAT (yours is higher). 6 interviews to date, 3 waitlists, 2 interviews upcoming (including Wayne). Hopefully I will make a similar post in the upcoming weeks. Congrats again!!!!!!!

UMP, shouldn't you be drunk by now? and still drunk at this time posting incoherent(sp?) messages on sdn?

WOW! Congrats- I feel like we are in a similar situation. 2.75 first degree; approx 13 Withdrawels and 3 F's. Partied a little too hard, but it was a lot of fun :D

Got 3.9 on pst bacc, 31 MCAT (yours is higher). 6 interviews to date, 3 waitlists, 2 interviews upcoming (including Wayne). Hopefully I will make a similar post in the upcoming weeks. Congrats again!!!!!!!

it seems like wayne likes the reformed students :)

Here's a slap-on-the-ass congratulations! :smuggrin:

WTG dude! Way to freaking go!! :clap:

dude, this is 75% of the problem right here..good job:thumbup:

WOOHOO! Welcome to the club fellow college slacker! I just had issues studying the right way and ended with a 3.0. Got into Tulane after a semester of SMP and upping my mcat to 32.

CONGRATS!

WOOHOO! Welcome to the club fellow college slacker! I just had issues studying the right way and ended with a 3.0. Got into Tulane after a semester of SMP and upping my mcat to 32.

CONGRATS!

i'm so happy that second chances are possible in this process.... isn't it great? Congrats to you, too :)

wow...great job--you give me hope

Congratulations- it feels like you've come full circle now! So I will rename you: cUMP.

:laugh:

I <3 you, Medikit!

Oh, and congrats, OP!

dude, this is 75% of the problem right here..good job:thumbup:

Couldn't agree more (w/ smugtroll and UMP)
Congratulations!

truely inspirational:) ... congrats

Congrats! It's great to see a positive post! It just goes to show you - don't listen to the nay-sayers. I didn't - and I made it, too! Hoorah for tenacity!

Feedback left. :)

Have you started to work on scholarships/fin aid/fafsa/etc?

i had my fafsa done... but I have to resubmit because I didn't put my parents info in... might have to wander over to those financial aid forums and see what is up...

Wayne has 2 endowed scholarships each year for people of Polish heritage...:thumbup: :clap: I hope I can be a big enough of Polak for them ;)

i had my fafsa done... but I have to resubmit because I didn't put my parents info in... might have to wander over to those forums and see what is up...

Wayne has 2 endowed scholarships each year for people of Polish heritage...:thumbup: :clap: I hope I can be a big enough of Polak for them ;)

Great news. :thumbup: I see you've "recovered" now. :D

Great news. :thumbup: I see you've "recovered" now. :D

heh, yeah... if you say so... it must be so ;)

BTW: I wish Wayne St. had more Div 1 sports... i think they only do hockey for D1

heh, yeah... if you say so... it must be so ;)

BTW: I wish Wayne St. had more Div 1 sports... i think they only do hockey for D1

I had the athletic dept in mind when applying. Then I figured I wouldn't have time to go to any of the events so I didn't care as much anymore. Still got the ole' tv to turn to.

I had the athletic dept in mind when applying. Then I figured I wouldn't have time to go to any of the events so I didn't care as much anymore. Still got the ole' tv to turn to.

heh... that's how I picked my undergrad school:

winged helmets? baggy shorts? weird yellow unis? god damn, i need to go there ;)

I was so stupid, I applied late, and it was the only school I applied to. Thank God I got in :rolleyes:

heh... that's how I picked my undergrad school:

winged helmets? baggy shorts? weird yellow unis? god damn, i need to go there ;)

I was so stupid, I applied late, and it was the only school I applied to. Thank God I got in :rolleyes:

Undergrad eduction doesn't differ much between schools imo. Always go to a school with a good Div I-A football and Div-I bball program. It's quite an experience. Not only the games, but pre and post filler (aka the entire week in my case). lol U Miami and FSU only had football so the choice was easy. :D btw, I didn't apply to Miami, too freakin' expensive.

Undergrad eduction doesn't differ much between schools imo. Always go to a school with a good Div I-A football and Div-I bball program. It's quite an experience. Not only the games, but pre and post filler (aka the entire week in my case). lol U Miami and FSU only had football so the choice was easy. :D btw, I didn't apply to Miami, too freakin' expensive.

I don't get the draw of Miami... it's kind of like USC... more expensive, crappy location, and not as good as UCLA... sure I'll go there :rolleyes:

USF is supposed to be a really solid school that's even better than Thug UMiami