Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Late-Dropping a Class after acceptance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MaximusD, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Biochem is not looking good...

Thinking of dropping it and altering my major from "Premed" to "Science" so that I can still graduate on time.

Anyone ever lose their acceptance over something like this if they've already completed and passed all of their prereqs?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member

Medical Student
    if i were you i would first call PCOM and ask them if it is OK. Though we all love SDN's advice, you don't want to gamble with your med school acceptance.

Is there any chance you can still study your brains out and get a C in the class? You only need to pass it afterall they don't care about the grade that much once you are in.

4. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory

Medical Student
    :thumbup: Very good advice! :luck:

5. Lfribble

Medical Student
    IMO, I can't see why it would matter, you've already been accepted, it's not contingent on this grade or anything, but I'd definately just check with PCOM. Although, if it were me, I'd see if there was any way I could change it to pass/fail just to have the exposure before taking it again in med school.

6. Funky

Funky This space is for sale

Pre-Medical
    I agree. Pass/fail seems like a very good option. A P on the transcript is better than a W IMO. But then again, if you're in already then i wouldnt think it mattered that much unless biochem is a requirement for PCOM.

7. Nickelpennykid

Nickelpennykid New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In the PCOM acceptance letter, it says that they require that you maintain a high level of academic achievment, or they can pull your acceptance. That being said, the day I got my letter I asked to withdraw from 2 of my 4 classes and they said it would be fine (mainly b/c the two were not related to med school), so I would ask them. I also am wondering how they define "high level" because I am currently doing next to friggin nothing related to school. Granted I will still end up with B's at least since I only have 2 classes and can pull it together come exam time, but I wish they had left that clause out of the letter.

8. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that probably just means to avoid failing grades on your transcript... I talked to Marsha Williams who told me that it would be ok, although she didn't sound thrilled. I'm not thrilled to be possibly dropping it, so I can understand her sentiment.

9. KeyLime

Your school actually has a pre-med major?

10. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!

Attending Physician
    like everyone else has said, I'd just call and ask (for example UNE has a biochem requirement for matriculation)... however, if it was me making the decision, I'd say that high level means that you need to get a C in the class...