Late in considering medicine, is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

elgato

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a graduating senior in college and have made the spontaneous but strong decision that I want to go into medicine. (You know how when you flip a coin, you figure out what you actually want by how you feel when its in the air? It was like that. I was/am trying to apply for public health masters programs right now and in a panic I've realized its not right/ not my end goal).

I am just unsure whether it is even a possibility at this point. I've been examining things that I wasn't even taking into consideration throughout my undergraduate career. My GPA is 3.67 and will likely be 3.7 by the time I graduate, but upon just calculating my BCPM gpa, it is only about 3.45. This is largely due to a poor but passing grade in a chemistry class, which I have signed up to re-take next semester (my last semester) although I'm not sure if that will even help.

I have 2 years research experience in a microbio lab, have volunteered in a hospital for 3 semesters, have studied abroad where I did projects with HIV education and teaching kids in underserved areas, and a couple other minor ECs. I was unable to join any campus orgs/ do leadership however because I've been working evenings/weekends the past 3 years (at a medical library) and it just wasn't possible. I don't have clinical experience and to be honest don't even know what exactly that entails. Haven't shadowed doctors. Obviously haven't taken the MCAT. Another big problem is that I haven't formed relationships with professors. I'm struggling even to get the letters for the MPH. My research PI will write an excellent one but that's about where I'm at. I suppose it's not too late, as I could form relationships with professors next semester. Yet another problem is that my residency is in Idaho, where there are no medical schools (yet). So I am necessarily applying OOS, even if I apply in the state where I'm doing my undergrad (Ohio).

So in general I'm wondering if there's any chance I can go to medical school. If I take the MCAT and do stellar, can it rescue my poor bcpm? Do I even have time to take the MCAT since I'd need to apply this summer? If I do the MPH (in Epidemiology) and get better grades there, can that help my chances? What about an MS? Or am I better off taking another year off to just focus on improving my application+establish residency? If I do that, how do I maintain professors willing to write me letters of recommendation? And do I need special letters that are different from what I'd need for other programs?

Stressin'.
 
A MPH will not help you for MD admissions. You need 50 hours of shadowing physicians (MD and DO ) including primary care as well as 200+ hours of clinical volunteering (hospital setting would be good). As long as you score at least 500 on the MCAT you have a chance for interviews at some DO schools. If you establish Ohio residency you could receive interviews at the Ohio state public schools with a MCAT of 507 or higher.