Late switch to ENT - chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLaughLove2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...
I'm looking for advice like most other people on here. I'm a 4th year planning to go into ENT, and my main issue is a geographical restriction and lack of research. I just decided I was interested in ENT about 3 months ago, so I feel a bit behind.

Step 1: 252
Step 2: 275
Junior AOA
Top 10% of my class
Honored all 3rd year rotations
1 basic science publication, 1 non-ENT poster/abstract, 2 current ENT projects w/o publication yet

My significant other is in Chicago, family in the midwest as well. I know my scores will help, but matching in Chicago is very important to me at this point and I am afraid the competitiveness of ENT is going to make this hard to do...Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone...
I'm looking for advice like most other people on here. I'm a 4th year planning to go into ENT, and my main issue is a geographical restriction and lack of research. I just decided I was interested in ENT about 3 months ago, so I feel a bit behind.

Junior AOA
Top 10% of my class
1 basic science publication, 1 non-ENT poster/abstract, 2 current ENT projects w/o publication yet

My significant other is in Chicago, family in the midwest as well. I know my scores will help, but matching in Chicago is very important to me at this point and I am afraid the competitiveness of ENT is going to make this hard to do...Does anyone have any advice?

you are in very good shape, trust me. make sure you try and get all ENT letters of rec. are you planning on doing any away rotations?

I do. I have 2 aways scheduled right now. September and November. I just finished my ENT AI here so didn't do any earlier than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this in one of the stickied threads above, but I don't think anyone responds to those and I am kind of in the same boat so I will re-post here.

I'm currently MS3, and I really like ENT. I have really good grades (265 step 1, honored everything in years 1 and 2, no clinical grades yet) but I really don't like research much, and have not even really spoken to anyone in our ENT department although there are some big names here. Furthermore, I am very picky where I want to end up (NY, MA, VT, RI, NH, ME, CT) and am not willing to budge on my location. It is shame because I don't think that I will feel comfortable to go for ENT given that there are only like 15 programs in my desired area total.
I know plenty of people in my school who are bending over backwards to kiss ass for some piddling research in plastics or ortho and I am simply not willing to do that. It is not that I don't want to do any research, it is just that I have some shred of dignity and I am not willing to sell my soul completely.

Am I right to think that applying to only 15 programs would be a recipe for scramble even if there is a mix of competitive and non-competitive programs? I know my grades are competitive for ENT, but like the above poster I am really, really picky about location and am not sure if I feel comfortable applying to such a small number of programs.

I posted this in one of the stickied threads above, but I don't think anyone responds to those and I am kind of in the same boat so I will re-post here.

I know plenty of people in my school who are bending over backwards to kiss ass for some piddling research in plastics or ortho and I am simply not willing to do that. It is not that I don't want to do any research, it is just that I have some shred of dignity and I am not willing to sell my soul completely.

Am I right to think that applying to only 15 programs would be a recipe for scramble even if there is a mix of competitive and non-competitive programs? I know my grades are competitive for ENT, but like the above poster I am really, really picky about location and am not sure if I feel comfortable applying to such a small number of programs.

The formula to matching in ENT is no secret: 250+ board scores, top grades, AOA, reasearch, good letters from ENT's, apply broadly both in terms of geoography and tiers of programs.

When it comes to matching into competitive specialties you need to check your pride at the door. You really have to be willing to do whatever it takes to be successful because I promise you that your competition is definitely willing and eager. Get on board with some research now.

In my opinion, not applying broadly enough is the number one reason top-notch students go unmatched. It is a huge risk and I would never recommend your strategy to anyone. However, everyone has their own personal situations that sometimes cannot be overcome. I realize that not everyone can just pick-up and move wherever because of unavoidable obligations.

You have to be willing to accept that relatively higher risk that you will not match. You need to decide whether you "want" to stay in a particular area or "must" stay in a particular area. Is being an otolaryngologist the most important factor for you or is being in your preferred area more important? In other words, will you be happy being an anesthesiologist or internist as long as you are living where you want to be?

You have to be willing to accept that relatively higher risk that you will not match. You need to decide whether you "want" to stay in a particular area or "must" stay in a particular area. Is being an otolaryngologist the most important factor for you or is being in your preferred area more important? In other words, will you be happy being an anesthesiologist or internist as long as you are living where you want to be?

Thanks for the response.

Hi everyone...

Junior AOA
Top 10% of my class

Any recommendations on how many programs to apply to? I was thinking 30-35. I'm trying to apply to mostly schools in the midwest/northeast, but have chosen a broad spectrum. Is there anyone who is willing to look at my list and give me some insight into the programs I have selected?