Latin American friendly IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG1990IM-CARDIO

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this subject has been discussed before. I've seen many programs where IMG's come from Middle east and India without any Latin american resident and also there are programs where IMG's come from Latin American countries mostly. I know programs usually are more comfortable picking doctors when the PD's have some experience with residents that come from the same area. Do you think is worthless to apply to a program that has not any Latin American resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Southern Florida

Spanish goes a long way
Sure, I'm going to apply to almost every program in Florida but I honestly don't know if the absence of Latinos IMG's in an otherwise IMG friendly program should be a criteria to avoid applying there. I don't know if this is a sign of certain bias or it's just something random....

Sure, I'm going to apply to almost every program in Florida but I honestly don't know if the absence of Latinos IMG's in an otherwise IMG friendly program should be a criteria to avoid applying there. ..

Of course you should apply. What's your objective here, to become a trained internist, or find Latin friendliness???

How about you go to the best program that accepts you and not worry so much about its "Latin friendliness". If you're an IMG, you should be thrilled to be doing an American residency anywhere. And if said residency is in a metro area or tied to a well known academic institution, it should be "Latin friendly" enough. They certainly shouldn't be unfriendly, they're not allowed to be racist or prejudiced.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen any Latino bias

Especially in FL and NY I see the opposite

IMGs are typically favored to FMG, so yea most of them are gonna be white

Even so, obviously just avoid California, but if a place has taken any IMGs in the last couple years, that's probably gonna be worth your money

What are your step scores
Step 1 241
Step 2 Ck 247
Step 2 CS passed all of them first attempt
YOG < 5 yrs. Most of the time after med school I worked in a tertiary cardiovascular academic hospital in my native country but apparently that is irrelevant based on what I've heard.
USCE 2 mo, very recent... 5 LOR's, all of them from American attendings. 2 strong letters, the other 3 I haven't seen them but I think they're ok.
I need Visa.
I'm going to apply to 100 programs because I don't have money to apply further.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I just want to know if anyone have heard about some kind of bias [apparently there isn't] or even some factor that benefits people from this places like more schools affiliated to american med schools, some unpublished parameter that they use. That could help me save some money or pick some other programs instead of those. But I appreciate your input and for now I think I'm gonna apply to those programs.

Step 1 241
Step 2 Ck 247
Step 2 CS passed all of them first attempt
YOG < 5 yrs. Most of the time after med school I worked in a tertiary cardiovascular academic hospital in my native country but apparently that is irrelevant based on what I've heard.
USCE 2 mo, very recent... 5 LOR's, all of them from American attendings. 2 strong letters, the other 3 I haven't seen them but I think they're ok.
I need Visa.
I'm going to apply to 100 programs because I don't have money to apply further.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I just want to know if anyone have heard about some kind of bias [apparently there isn't] or even some factor that benefits people from this places like more schools affiliated to american med schools, some unpublished parameter that they use. That could help me save some money or pick some other programs instead of those. But I appreciate your input and for now I think I'm gonna apply to those programs.
i believe that the university of miami has a program for introducing MDs from Latin America to the US healthcare system and helps with getting a residency in the US.

Of course you should apply. What's your objective here, to become a trained internist, or find Latin friendliness???

How about you go to the best program that accepts you and not worry so much about its "Latin friendliness". If you're an IMG, you should be thrilled to be doing an American residency anywhere. And if said residency is in a metro area or tied to a well known academic institution, it should be "Latin friendly" enough. They certainly shouldn't be unfriendly, they're not allowed to be racist or prejudiced.

Thank you for your reply. I just want to save money in my application. I don't mind if I get into a Latin American friendly place or not if it's an academic center where I can learn enough to be a good internist. Actually I agree with you because I don't think that there could be unfriendly places to latin american doctors. I would like to know if someone have heard that some programs have an affiliation with schools in India and Pakistan and the students from those places did clerkships in the states and that's why most of the IMG positions are covered by them or any other factor that favor them. Maybe they are just smarter or maybe it's something completely random... But I would hate myself if there's some unpublished factor that I could had used to screen the programs. That's all.

Thank you for your reply. I just want to save money in my application. I don't mind if I get into a Latin American friendly place or not if it's an academic center where I can learn enough to be a good internist. Actually I agree with you because I don't think that there could be unfriendly places to latin american doctors. I would like to know if someone have heard that some programs have an affiliation with schools in India and Pakistan and the students from those places did clerkships in the states and that's why most of the IMG positions are covered by them or any other factor that favor them. Maybe they are just smarter or maybe it's something completely random... But I would hate myself if there's some unpublished factor that I could had used to screen the programs. That's all.

You're got decent numbers, you sound like a good applicant. I would apply broadly if I were you, then go to the best program that accepts you, not giving the "Latin" factor another thought. If you're in FL, CA, NY, AZ, TX, you'll fit in just nicely.

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of latin america graduates as IM residents at UTSW in Dallas.

Reactions: 1 user