lcsw hours/supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a clinical MSW program soon with the hopes of getting my LCSW-C can somebody please just explain the process of getting the lcsw?

Members don't see this ad.

This is going to vary state by state. Your state licensing board, local chapter of NASW, and program advisors should be good sources of information, or if you want to post what state you are in, our members might be able to be more helpful. The LCSW-C doesn't even exist in the states I'm most familiar with. But LCSW generally involves a certain number of hours of supervised work after graduation, and passing a test, and takes a couple years. Number of hours, type of supervision and test will vary by state.

FreudianSlipper is correct, most states are still in the dark ages when it comes to a clinical focused LCSW license. Furthermore, some states have drastically different hour requirements and other stipulations, to the point where there is no reciprocity (can't take your california LCSW to Hawaii).

Generally speaking, you first need to graduate with a MSW, find a job that satisfies YOUR STATE's requirements for duties that qualify for LCSW application (the language can differ), then you need to find a LCSW willing to supervise. This is where it gets murky, some states have really high requirements for LCSW supervision. Some states require LCSW supervisors with almost 5k hours, some less. Some want supervisors directly working for your agency and some can be coming from the outside. Some just require supervision a fraction of the hours necessary. Regardless, gonna have to pay for some of the supervision.

Bottom line, don't worry about that so much now. Absorb all the information you can, don't even worry bout the grades too much, it is all about learning what you can and applying it in the field,trust me. Just get strong practicums, build a strong network, and keep in touch with your cohort. If you really want to get started on the LCSW process now, try and find a teacher who has a active LCSW in the state you want to practice in. They should have current knowledge on all the inner workings. You may find one as well in one of your practicums, keep a look out.

Finally, Obamacare is going to change a lot for social workers. From what I hear, any social work job that involves billing units will require the individual to at least have licensure at the graduate level. You may end up having to take the graduate level license exam with the DSM V instead of IV, but you should have a strong base due to the clinical emphasis. You joined the field during a promising time, I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
FreudianSlipper is correct, most states are still in the dark ages when it comes to a clinical focused LCSW license. Furthermore, some states have drastically different hour requirements and other stipulations, to the point where there is no reciprocity (can't take your california LCSW to Hawaii).

Generally speaking, you first need to graduate with a MSW, find a job that satisfies YOUR STATE's requirements for duties that qualify for LCSW application (the language can differ), then you need to find a LCSW willing to supervise. This is where it gets murky, some states have really high requirements for LCSW supervision. Some states require LCSW supervisors with almost 5k hours, some less. Some want supervisors directly working for your agency and some can be coming from the outside. Some just require supervision a fraction of the hours necessary. Regardless, gonna have to pay for some of the supervision.

Bottom line, don't worry about that so much now. Absorb all the information you can, don't even worry bout the grades too much, it is all about learning what you can and applying it in the field,trust me. Just get strong practicums, build a strong network, and keep in touch with your cohort. If you really want to get started on the LCSW process now, try and find a teacher who has a active LCSW in the state you want to practice in. They should have current knowledge on all the inner workings. You may find one as well in one of your practicums, keep a look out.

Finally, Obamacare is going to change a lot for social workers. From what I hear, any social work job that involves billing units will require the individual to at least have licensure at the graduate level. You may end up having to take the graduate level license exam with the DSM V instead of IV, but you should have a strong base due to the clinical emphasis. You joined the field during a promising time, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks a lot for this. What do you mean when you say that I'll need to pay for some of the supervision?

In my state, you need 100 hours of direct face to face supervision from a LCSW, this is where you pay them.....and oh boy, depending on the LCSW, you can get taken to the cleaners.