LDS applicants attending outside of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start a thread for LDS applicants from wherever who will be going to school at places other than Utah, or Ohio State (the other U of U). Tell about yourself, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by patzan
I'd like to start a thread for LDS applicants from wherever who will be going to school at places other than Utah, or Ohio State (the other U of U). Tell about yourself, etc.

I am one of those applicants. I didn't even apply to U of U or Ohio State though. In fact I never even attended school in Utah and ironically I am hoping to get into either a Baptist or Catholic school.

I really wonder if I am the only LDS women applicant. That would be interesting to know.

I'm going to UVa next year. I don't really know what kinds of things you want us to say about ourselves so I'll just write whatever pops into my head first. I'll be 29 this August, my wife is 25. I was a missionary in Manaus, Brazil from September of 1994 to October of 1996. I like chocolate covered cream filled crispycream donuts, ultimate frisbee, soccer, and video games.

And I think this thread is cliquish, come on folks do we really need to segregate ourselves based on religion? How about asking how many Utahns or anyone for that matter is attending school in a state not-their-own? And last I checked MCW held the title as the other U of U.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad that there are a few out there. I am going to USC in the fall. I know of a few women from BYU, but they are planning on Utah. I was fishing around, trying to find some LDS people at USC, but couldn't find any. I was just wondering about people's experience/expectations at a predominantly non-LDS school, or at a very liberal school like USC.

oh yeah, KrispyKreme doughnuts are very good, I agree.

Hi! I'm a first-year at USC, and I just wanted to let the OP know that while I'm not LDS, I have a few friends who are and I know of at least one guy in my class who is. He went to BYU. I haven't noticed that USC is very liberal, but then again I went to Berkeley and my view might be skewed:) See you next fall!

Thanks for the post! See my PM.

I am headed to Texas Tech. I also never went to school in Utah except for one party semester at UVSC before the mission, which doesn't really count. Tech seems to be a hub for LDS students. I also know there are about 5 or so from BYU going to Texas A&M and one or two going to UTSW in Dallas. I only interviewed in TX, no reason to go out of state with the great tuition incentives we have here. Probably the cheapest place to go to med school in the US. I am from Denton, TX, married, wife went to BYU from 96-99. Have a 5 month old son. Love all sports, the outdoors, and mtn biking.

Wife + 2 kids.

I went to a liberal undergrad school (UT-Austin). No real complaints about the social or academic ambience there. I think you'll find friendly, supportive people wherever you go.

If a thriving LDS network is important to you, I would gauge student interest by seeing how many students are enrolled at the local LDS institute.

http://lds.org/institutes/0,8470,1642-1,00.html

I've called up the directors to ask for 1) local wards with lots of students and/or med students, and 2) contact info for people in my situation. I got responses from all the institute directors in TX. Called up some LDS med students at various schools and went to visit them. Made a humongous difference in our decision of which med school to rank first in the TX match.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by hillofbeans
Wife + 2 kids.

Made a humongous difference in our decision of which med school to rank first in the TX match.

Best of luck.

Which school did you match/rank 1st for the Match?

I'll be attending the University of Pennsylvania this year. I'm currently at BYU and will be graduating in April. I'm getting married a week later!

Well, I am at the Y, graduating in April as well. Good chance I will end up at Tulane. I thought it was pretty cool that someone started an LDS thread, so I wanted to post.

how did ohio state end up attracting so many lds students? i actually thought that george washington was the school everyone went to. out of a class of 200 or so, 15-20 are from utah.

turgenev, i am out at Penn right now (but the law school, not the med school). great institution, great resources. philly is a great city, very livable. but the winters suck! i miss the mountains and the snow, but mostly i miss the sun

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to the University of Utah. I know from here, the big schools are GW (as mentioned) and Ohio State (20% of student body is from Utah). Also SLU and MCW seem to be big takers.

I am married (2 years), served in Russia, no kids.

University of Arizona has a lot of LDS students...13 out of 110...so a little over 10% of our class. As one person suggested may be the case, none of them are women.

There are quite a few of us at the University of Virginia. In my class there are 3 LDS students and total there are about 20 in all 4 years. They seem to like us at this school and we hope to keep it that way for future LDS applicants.

I am married (2 years), served in Russia, no kids.

I served in Ukraine. Russian is a great language! I'm double majoring in Russian and Microbiology.

Originally posted by aquaboy
There are quite a few of us at the University of Virginia. In my class there are 3 LDS students and total there are about 20 in all 4 years. They seem to like us at this school and we hope to keep it that way for future LDS applicants.

Hey auquaboy are you at UVa as an undergrad or in med school?

Originally posted by rgporter
Hey auquaboy are you at UVa as an undergrad or in med school?

I'm in med school!
:clap:

Originally posted by theringworm
I am headed to Texas Tech. I also never went to school in Utah except for one party semester at UVSC before the mission, which doesn't really count. Tech seems to be a hub for LDS students. I also know there are about 5 or so from BYU going to Texas A&M and one or two going to UTSW in Dallas. I only interviewed in TX, no reason to go out of state with the great tuition incentives we have here. Probably the cheapest place to go to med school in the US. I am from Denton, TX, married, wife went to BYU from 96-99. Have a 5 month old son. Love all sports, the outdoors, and mtn biking.

Are any of the ones headed to UTSW single males? I'm at A&M and having trouble finding rommates. I'm starting to feel the social isolation of being in my mid-20s and sitll single. Cursed fates, where did I fail?

I was just wondering about people's experience/expectations at a predominantly non-LDS school, or at a very liberal school like USC.

I have always considered USC a pretty conservative school.

Originally posted by Trekkie963
I have always considered USC a pretty conservative school.

We have had the Vagina monologues at our school the past two years and in my class (using a random computer survey) 84% of the people support abortion. I think that puts us more on the liberal end.

a friend of mine (LDS) has pretty made up his mind to go to UVA, so there's at least one more next year.

I'm in med school!
:clap:

Do you have any good advice on where I can find decent affordable housing for my wife and I? I'm attending UVa next year, so we're flying out there on the 13th to look for housing. We only have one day so we've been searching a lot on the internet but if you've got any tips they would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. We have 2 dogs so we can't live in school housing.

bump
keeping this thread alive

Bad Mojo said:
Are any of the ones headed to UTSW single males? I'm at A&M and having trouble finding rommates. I'm starting to feel the social isolation of being in my mid-20s and sitll single. Cursed fates, where did I fail?

Not sure, but I would imagine so. When I interviewed there, the first person I met when I got out of my car was a guy from BYU. Coincidence....nah, I don't think so. Anyhow, he was single but I don't know if he got in there. Look at mdapplicants and see if any of them say they are single. Sorry I am not much more of a help.

Ya I know, really old, but BUMP anyways.