Leadership and Volunteer Opportunities w/ Students for Organ Donation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_pepper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I wanted to let everyone know about a leadership opportunity that's available through Students for Organ Donation (www.studentdonor.org).

SOD is a student-run nonprofit with college chapters throughout the country that works to raise organ donation awareness and registration. The vast majority of Americans support organ donation, but the organ waiting list continues to grow largely because of a simple lack of awareness on the part of potential donors and families. It is our goal to help remedy this growing problem by making sure that all college students learn about the issues surrounding organ donation and are given the opportunity to sign up.

We are extending an open invitation to all SDNers to serve as the founding president of the organization at their own school. Running a chapter will require organization and leadership skills, and the ability to effectively work with others in the public health and medical field.

In addition to gaining leadership experience running their local chapter, chapter presidents (and members) will be eligible for SOD scholarships and summer internships (which will soon be posted online), as well as national administrative positions.

For more information, please visit www.studentdonor.org and visit the 'Get Involved' section if you are interested.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and I'll get back to you.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently submitted my information to the Student for Organd Donation site and I was just wondering if it is a long process for the individuals that run the site to contact those that are interested? Do I have to be approved or interviewed in order to become a president of my own chapter? What might be some of the responsibilities that the chapter president might have?
ThanX Alot!
BeaN :)

Beanz111 said:
I recently submitted my information to the Student for Organd Donation site and I was just wondering if it is a long process for the individuals that run the site to contact those that are interested? Do I have to be approved or interviewed in order to become a president of my own chapter? What might be some of the responsibilities that the chapter president might have?
ThanX Alot!
BeaN :)

Things have been slow lately since all of our officers have been out for winter break. Generally, you should hear back within a week when you submit a request.

There is no interview, but there is an application to start a chapter. We do this to make sure that several people from the same school aren't making separate efforts to start a chapter.

The president is responsible for overseeing the process of getting registered, building an effective team, making connections with local health organizations, and running awareness campaigns and other events. Detailed instructions are included in the handbook we send to chapter presidents.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this only for undergrads, or can med students start chapters as well?

Medical students are more than welcome to participate in the organization and run chapters at their school. In fact, as a number of schools require some type of project from their students (whether it be research, community involvement, thesis, etc.), founding and leading a chapter of SOD can be a good way to take care of school requirements while participating in an important public health field.

Haybrant said:
can people taking a year off get involved as well?

Certainly. If you are nearby a campus, you could work with students at a university to get things going. If not, there are plenty of opportunities for work at the regional or national level.

Just let us know that you are taking a year off if you fill the form on the Get Involved page of the website.

BTW, the opportunity to start a chapter of Students for Organ Donation is not limited to allopathic pre-meds/medical students; any motivated student with an interest in donation can get involved. Click on the link for more information.

http://www.studentdonor.org/get_involved.html

I was just at the Students for Organ Donation website, and it seems like a great extracurricular opportunity. However, I noticed that there was already a chapter at my college. I was wondering how I can still help out?

amoly22 said:
I was just at the Students for Organ Donation website, and it seems like a great extracurricular opportunity. However, I noticed that there was already a chapter at my college. I was wondering how I can still help out?

http://www.studentdonor.org/about_us.html

Click on this link. After the list of participating chapters, there is a link to the contact information for each chapter president. I'm sure that if you drop him or her an email, s/he will let you know how you can get involved. Please let me know if you need any assistance.

I don't see any community colleges listed on the website. Do you have to be at 4-year school to get this started?

IM Hungry said:
I don't see any community colleges listed on the website. Do you have to be at 4-year school to get this started?

You are correct that we currently do not have any community colleges as part of the program, but you're welcome to be the first.

I am so excited to hear about this organization! I've been in the field of organ and tissue transplant for nearly eight years and _finally_ applied to med school this year. (still waiting for interviews...)

I'm definitely going to get involved ASAP, and anyone who has ever thought about the field of transplant should. I've done everthing from approaching families about donation after a loved one dies, to doing surgical recoveries of tissues, to speaking to community groups and hospital staff about donation - it's truly an incredibly field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orchids&Organs said:
I am so excited to hear about this organization! I've been in the field of organ and tissue transplant for nearly eight years and _finally_ applied to med school this year. (still waiting for interviews...)

I'm definitely going to get involved ASAP, and anyone who has ever thought about the field of transplant should. I've done everthing from approaching families about donation after a loved one dies, to doing surgical recoveries of tissues, to speaking to community groups and hospital staff about donation - it's truly an incredibly field.

Great to hear that. We'll be in touch with you soon.

I was wondering if the Students for Organ Donation internship is exclusively for those starting chapters or if anyone interested can apply.

amoly22 said:
I was wondering if the Students for Organ Donation internship is exclusively for those starting chapters or if anyone interested can apply.

The internships will be available for all members of Students for Organ Donation; we will be posting the details in about a month or so on our website.

This looks great! I've been a supporter of organ donation for a long time and will definitely contact you guys to get involved.

I'm a graduating senior heading to med school next year. What would be the best way for me to get involved?

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to check into this. I'm heavily involved with a pre-med student org now, but I'm hoping to bow out of that soon, and I might like to try to get another organization on its feet.

Lincoln Parque said:
This looks great! I've been a supporter of organ donation for a long time and will definitely contact you guys to get involved.

I'm a graduating senior heading to med school next year. What would be the best way for me to get involved?

Congratulations on your acceptance :clap:. If you would like to get involved with Students for Organ Donation right now, you can help a chapter get started at your undergraduate university. Fill out the form on this page, http://www.studentdonor.org/get_involved.html , and we will send you information on starting a chapter. If you prefer to wait until medical school, that is fine; you can always start a chapter of SOD at your medical school.

BTW - a great way to get involved would be to simply talk with your friends and family about the importance of organ donation. :thumbup:

What types of resources do you have available for chapters to use?

IM Hungry said:
What types of resources do you have available for chapters to use?

We provide chapter presidents with a thorough handbook that explains the organ donation system in the US, as well as how to run a chapter and coordinate projects. We have all the basic materials - donor cards, brochures, videos, and pins - that you'll need. Additionally, we refer chapters to local organizations who are generally happy to provide additional resources and support.

dr_pepper said:
We provide chapter presidents with a thorough handbook that explains the organ donation system in the US, as well as how to run a chapter and coordinate projects. We have all the basic materials - donor cards, brochures, videos, and pins - that you'll need. Additionally, we refer chapters to local organizations who are generally happy to provide additional resources and support.

I filled out the email form, but haven't heard back from anybody yet...Any ideas??

americanangel said:
I filled out the email form, but haven't heard back from anybody yet...Any ideas??

You will generally get a response within a week; it appears that you filled out the form on the 11th, so you should expect to hear from us in the next few days.

In general, if you have questions, you can go to the Contact Us page (www.studentdonor.org/contact_us.html) and email Richard or John directly.

Are there opportunities for us working professionals? I've long since gradumatated from my undergrad

cammy1313 said:
Are there opportunities for us working professionals? I've long since gradumatated from my undergrad

We currently only have an organized system in place for students. But if this is something you are interested in, we can definitely find a way for you to contribute. Just let us know about your situation on the Get Involved page, or send me a PM and I'll get in touch.

What type of time commitment does it generally require to start a chapter?

redstripe said:

It's hard to give you an exact answer, except to say that it does require a significant commitment. Exactly how much time it takes will depend on the requirements of your university, how active you wish to make your chapter, and your ability to effectively delegate responsibilities.

Something that I forgot to mention earlier but may be of interested to some students:

As part of our fundraising efforts, we will be applying for large grants from the federal government and elsewhere. I know grant-writing experience would be useful for many future MDs and PhDs, and wanted to let you know that there are opportunities to get involved with that.

We just received a $10,000 grant from Do Something (http://www.dosomething.org/awards/brick/brick-winners-2005.php).
:D

redstripe said:

Like Dr_Pepper said, the time commitment depends on how much time you are willing and able to put forward. However, those that are willing to delegate authority to Vice Presidents and other officers can maximize the productivity of the chapter, while maintaining a low time commitment ( roughly five hours/week)

Just wanted to bump this up for those who didn't get a chance to see it when it was up. :p

After hearing about SOD I went to the website and requested some information. I read over the handbook, got a startup team together and applied. However, I've yet to hear a response.

Does anyone have an idea on how long it takes to hear back after applying?

hon abe lin said:
After hearing about SOD I went to the website and requested some information. I read over the handbook, got a startup team together and applied. However, I've yet to hear a response.

Does anyone have an idea on how long it takes to hear back after applying?

What school are you at? I'll be sure to look into it. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

I'm at the University of Vermont. I checked and I only sent it this past weekend... I thought I sent it a while ago.

I think I sent it to your brother...?

Thanks.

It looks like we've got it taken care of now. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

By the way, our new website is now online!