leadership experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reggiano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here, thinking about applying to one of the many leadership positions that are opening up. I've already searched/read threads on SDN about the topic, so I do realize that leadership experience won't make or break my residency application, and for some fields, won't even matter. Now that we've gotten that out of the way... :)

I was wondering if certain leadership positions "looked better" than others on a residency app. Am I correct to assume that something like clinic coordinator (for an underserved population in my school's city) is more "respectable" than, say, a class government position? (I'm assuming this because the former seems far more relevant to the profession we're entering.)

Members don't see this ad.

Only an MS2, but I'm leaning towards clinically-relevant...and underserved if possible. To combine the two into a clinic coordinator for an underserved population sounds like possibly one of the best leadership positions possible.

Really though, medical AdComs seem to have a twisted obsession with service to the underserved.