Leadership Minor...good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boodspremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Pre-med student in my junior year, and I have recently discovered I have plenty of room for a minor. Biomedical sciences is my major, and I am contemplating picking up a Leadership minor because I think it would be interesting, beneficial, and would look really good on an application to anything. Do you think medical schools would be interested in this minor? I want to take something that medical schools would find interesting as well, and could only help my chances at getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Pre-med student in my junior year, and I have recently discovered I have plenty of room for a minor. Biomedical sciences is my major, and I am contemplating picking up a Leadership minor because I think it would be interesting, beneficial, and would look really good on an application to anything. Do you think medical schools would be interested in this minor? I want to take something that medical schools would find interesting as well, and could only help my chances at getting in.

Minors never matter. A minor in "leadership" sounds like the height of academic bull___.

I am not sure why would anybody care. Its not like leadership is something you learn in classroom by listening to lecture and taking tests on. You need to actually lead something to learn leadership. Also, why would you want to waste credit hours on something you can just read about? I can't for the life of me imagine anything to be gained from taking a class in leadership.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure why would anybody care. Its not like leadership is something you learn in classroom by listening to lecture and taking tests on. You need to actually lead something to learn leadership. Also, why would you want to waste credit hours on something you can just read about? I can't for the life of me imagine anything to be gained from taking a class in leadership.

I think a class in leadership is actually what happens in business school environments. Someone with some leadership responsibility goes on to get some formal training often after 5-7 years of work experience and a growing level of responsibility for leadership of a team. That's where that belongs, not in undergrad.

Minors never matter. A minor in "leadership" sounds like the height of academic bull___.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why would you minor in something you can show otherwise?

We have a leadership minor at my undergrad and basically it is a load of c***. The only thing it could potentially be good for is if you want to run a JCC/YMCA/summer camp kinda job. It doesnt really give you anything good to talk about during interviews, which is what a minor in theory should really do. If you want to prove your leadership skills, just get leadership positions on campus.