Leadership Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dka94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have been nominated for President and Vice President of a club for the upcoming academic year. Does one look "better" than the other? I am really passionate about the club and I'm not running because it looks good, but it is something I want to consider when choosing which position. Being President holds much more responsibility and I am involved with other activities as well as will be taking a full course load. Does one really matter over the other on an application? Anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

President > VP > secretary = treasurer > historian

That's what I've always been told. Having said that, holding a VP position is still leadership and shows you're respected by your peers. I always say go for president and live with VP if you have to.

Recently, I have been nominated for President and Vice President of a club for the upcoming academic year. Does one look "better" than the other? I am really passionate about the club and I'm not running because it looks good, but it is something I want to consider when choosing which position. Being President holds much more responsibility and I am involved with other activities as well as will be taking a full course load. Does one really matter over the other on an application? Anyone have any insight?
Your description of the role you played trumps the title itself. If you hold an empty title just to say you had it, it won't aid your application in any way. VP who comes up with initiatives, assigns others to tasks to actuate them, and takes overall responsiblity for the outcome will trump Prez who only chairs meetings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to derail this thread but what kinds of initiatives can one create? I am part of Student Government and will be on the executive board of certain clubs and I'm not sure of anything I can really do. But I certainly want to. @Catalystik

I don't mean to derail this thread but what kinds of initiatives can one create? I am part of Student Government and will be on the executive board of certain clubs and I'm not sure of anything I can really do. But I certainly want to. @Catalystik
Ask yourself, What needs to be changed, should we add a new focus to the organization, reorganize it, how can we make it grow, how can I use this organization to reach out and help others, can I apply for outside funding that can help us reach old goals, etc.? Leaders notice things that need improvement and act to affect change.