Leadership question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between being president of a club vs an officer for a club on an application? For a club I was interested in becoming president I instead got an officer posiiton. Would being the president of this club have alter/improve my application in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Is there a difference between being president of a club vs an officer for a club on an application? For a club I was interested in becoming president I instead got an officer posiiton. Would being the president of this club have alter/improve my application in any way?
Membership and elected office in clubs has little effect on an application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Membership and leadership in clubs has little effect on an application.
Even leadership? Or does that depend on club size/prominence. I always thought leadership was a good thing on an app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even leadership? Or does that depend on club size/prominence. I always thought leadership was a good thing on an app.
Evidence of teamwork to achieve a just goal is a strength. "Leadership" is but a part of this.

Reactions: 3 users
And just to clarify, is it that membership/leadership in school clubs is unremarkable, or leadership efforts in organizations in general?
Efforts to help those in need is good. Mere presidency or membership in school clubs does not achieve this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Depends on what you do and why it was important to you.

Reactions: 3 users
You're asking about titles. What counts are accomplishments. If as secretary or VP you led some initiative that made a difference, grew the organization, helped the needy, raised more money than every before, or contributed to something remarkable by empowering other members of your team, that's more noteworthy than "President."

Reactions: 9 users
The fastest way to screen if someone has leadership is to see if they have an elected office position. I’d say being president helps marginally more than another position

Reactions: 1 user
It will never hurt your application. But this pales in comparison to numerous other things on an application. Most admissions personnel are looking at other metrics way deeper than the fact that you were a president, vice-president, secretary, etc. If you get an interview though, you should be ready to offer up something you learned and something you accomplished in the role. How you brought value to the position and achieved something from it.