Leadership role in recent racism-related campus movements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical questions I am surprised has not hit the forums yet.

Let's say you are a leader in one of these campus movements going on, in either one of the pro-free speech groups (Ex. Princeton's Open Campus Coalition) or one of these pro-stamp-out-racism-at-the cost-of-free-speech-groups (Ex. Next Yale).

I realize I'm unfairly boiling down a complex ongoing discussion to two broad slogans, but stay with me.

Good leadership position to include in your med school application?

Members don't see this ad.

Well make sure you get interviewed as "the leader" or something. Really easy to lie about something like this. Although, shouldn't you be president of the black students union or something anyways?

Also "pro-stamp-out-racism-at-the cost-of-free-speech-groups" isn't accurate even as an "unfair boiling down"

Well make sure you get interviewed as "the leader" or something. Really easy to lie about something like this. Although, shouldn't you be president of the black students union or something anyways?

Also "pro-stamp-out-racism-at-the cost-of-free-speech-groups" isn't accurate even as an "unfair boiling down"

My slogans were derived from the media circus going on. What they're about could not be reasonably condensed, even unfairly, in less than a paragraph.

You try boiling it down to 1 - 7 words fairly.

This is not the point of the prompt.

Certainly, plenty of references could be acquired confirming you hold a leadership position. If you still feel like being picky about the question, go with the clear cut case: It is widely publicized that you are the leader of a certain movement on a campus. (Ex. The two Princetonians who appeared on national TV representing Open Campus Coalition).

Really, given your cynicism on oversimplifying the issue, certainly you have an opinion about what I'm really asking about in the prompt.

Really, I'm genuinely curious how ADCOMS would react.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly what did you do? Yell at some unsuspecting professor on camera or storm through a library, harassing random strangers that are trying to study?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Everything always boils down to "would we want this applicant on our campus for four years". Opinions often vary and I think that this is one example of a case where you would have differing opinions within adcoms.

Reactions: 3 users
Id say it probably depends on which movement, what exactly your role was, and how you portray it. If it sounds like you're whining or behaving irrationally (as some but certainly not all groups on both sides are) then I'd imagine a negative effect. If you are involved in meaningful movement with clearly defined reasonings and goals then I would imagine a more positive response.

Just my 0.02 though, and this is a terrifyingly polarizing topic lol

Reactions: 1 users
If you are in the realm of "Black Lives Matter", I'd be OK with that.

If you're in the area of "Halloween costumes are racism" or "eliminate microaggressions now", I'd tend to reject you. While we want people who will be patient advocates, we don't want advocates, period. That's for Poli Sci or Law majors.

Reactions: 8 users
If I was on an admissions committee that would be a red flag for this person could be a royal pain in my ass down the road. Not going to lie I'd pass on you, and I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one with that thought process.

No med school wants to end up on the news because a resident said a nano-aggression during a small group session.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Does your group have concrete and implementable suggestions? Has your group accomplished anything?

In other words, protesting and rabble-rousing 'in general' aren't great, but accomplishing something meaningful is valuable.

Reactions: 3 users
Exactly what did you do? Yell at some unsuspecting professor on camera or storm through a library, harassing random strangers that are trying to study?

Oh**** rekt.

Reactions: 1 user

If you're in the area of "Halloween costumes are racism" or "eliminate microaggressions now", I'd tend to reject you. While we want people who will be patient advocates, we don't want advocates, period. That's for Poli Sci or Law majors.
There have been a lot of BLM groups that have recently held violent and free speech violating protests (Dartmouth for ex) so idk if that is the best group to highlight. It sucks that a few reckless groups can ruin a good message.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm involved in something similar, and I'm not including it. Medical school admissions is not the time for me to press my political views. Especially since I plan on applying across the country, the chances of having an adcom that does not agree with my particular view is high. Hopefully, you have other leadership roles you can show off than just this one.

Student interviewer: "Can you tell me more about this leadership experience?"
*Simultaneously thinking about scenario out at a bar where interviewee overhears racially themed joke overreacts and ruins one's career*
... visible shudder by interviewer

Awful and polarizing leadership position to put on your application. You'll either end up in a school that wants that type of circle-jerk mindset or a horribly racist/bigoted student body. Ideally, your leadership position would be at some sort of neutral party aimed at bringing the two groups to a middle ground, settling conflicts, and helping the students at X university work together instead of be divided by such an issue. Why in the world would you want to say you either helped oppress students' rights or publicly harassed your faculty? Have you thought about what it would actually mean to take one of the two sides, or are you just hoping other people will answer this for you?

Hopefully, you have other leadership roles you can show off than just this one.

I doubt the reason there are so many college kids in "leadership positions" in these "movements" is because they're all natural leaders :whistle:

No med school wants to end up on the news because a resident said a nano-aggression during a small group session.
I do clinical research in an emergency department of a teaching hospital. The residents say the absolute darndest things -- just ED humor at the end of the day.

Ya'll, this was a hypothetical question out of curiosity. I am involved in no such leadership position. But thanks for the answers! I'm glad ADCOM's have not drunk the kool-aid.

OP, I would advise against it. There are elements of these movements where people tend to do extreme acts such as making threats and engaging in vandalism. You may get associated with their hooliganism. More conservative-minded people may cringe if you tell them about your involvement because they may think more about all of the riots that took place rather than those who actually engage in peaceful protest and rational dialogue.

What the hell is a "microaggression," anyway? This term sounds really stupid.

Rational, reasonable discussion = good
Sensational double-standard bullying = not good