Learning a foreign language during MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJD24

Oh, my ear!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there attempted to take foreign language classes during your MPH OR is anyone else out there who is interested in international health contemplating taking foreign language classes to prepare them for future work? Secondly, for those current MPHers, do you think there would even be time for a pursuit like this?

The reason I ask is because I was hoping to work in one of several African countries that primarily speak French.

I figure it can't hurt...but, on the other hand, you just never know where you will end up and it may all be for nothing, ha.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I hadn't really thought about taking courses, however, during my year off, I've been spending time on brushing up my French and also going to some conversation groups. As of late, I haven't been as gung ho about it, but now your post is reminding me that I NEED TO.

Honestly, I've gained more confidence in my ability to speak some French in my time off than I had in all my years of schooling. However, it most certainly depends on the time and the person. If you are a beginner there are A TON of websites out there for learning French, you'd learn much of the same things that you would in a classroom, if you're able to do the self-study.

Anyway, sorry for my long babbling answer. Just offering an alternative if it turns out you couldn't take classes right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondly, for those current MPHers, do you think there would even be time for a pursuit like this?
I finished my MPH in 2009. I would say there would not be sufficient time for this if you're doing all the things you should be doing in order to finish your degree (and thesis/master's project...), network, and get appropriate experience on the job somewhere. During the summer between your first and second years while you're doing a field experience would be a better time.

For learning languages, there are many alternatives to taking classes, and a great many resources online. Some of these may be better than a classroom-based course, and much less expensive or free. I'm a physician applying for my MPH, and have begun to learn Spanish, since it would be highly valuable for working with patients and for working in developing countries. I've been using the computer-based Fluenz Spanish course, and am finding it to be quite effective and efficient. The company also has French, Italian, and Mandarin courses. Multiple reviews state that it's clearly superior to Rosetta Stone. Fluenz emphasizes proper grammar and useful conversation. They have an online demo, which is representative of the rest of the course. I bought the Spanish 1-5 version on Amazon, and I've supplemented this with making multiple word lists/flashcards on Quizlet.com. After the first month, I had a vocabulary of around 800 words using both approaches. I don't anticipate having much time for language learning while in grad school, so I'm doing it now, in addition to studying statistics.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think what I have learned during the past one and a half years is much more that what I have learned in schools for English, thus I believe just talking with people or stay in the country is the best way.

I think it's useful to brush up on a language definitely before you enter an MPH program and are interested in doing work overseas. Don't automatically assume that you can brush up on your language while overseas, because getting the position in the first place can largely be dependent on your proficiency in the language (as I am now seeing in my applications overseas). I think this is especially true in LAC. Many job overseas (and even domestically) in international health require proficiency or advanced fluency, and that is not something you can just pick up when you start the job.

That being said... there are different ways to get experience. I've heard the Rosetta Stone being a good choice, actually. You can also try auditing a class (or convincing a professor to sit in on classes, without formally auditing). There might also be language exchange programs where you can practice the language with immigrants, and you converse with them in English.

I just came across this thread, and am experiencing the same dilemma as the OP. I wanted to bump this to see what others out there are doing, if anything, with regard to language training during school. (Now that people may have registered for classes, responses might be different?)

For me, language is vital to my career goals, and I'm kicking myself for not taking Spanish when I was younger. I've studied it on and off for the past couple of years, and have a background in French and Latin, so reading/writing doesn't present too much of a problem... but I'm a horrid speaker.

To remedy this, I registered for an advanced course that meets Mon-Thurs in the morning. My fear is that since I'm taking four other classes and have graduate assistant responsibilities, it's going to kick my @ss. I'm also planning on interning or volunteering in a Latin American country over the summer, but to even apply for those positions, I have to be (close to) proficient.

I am cursing my time spent in East Africa now (kidding, it was fabulous, but still...)! Dios mio. :/

Anyone else encountering this issue?

lol foreign language classes... silliest things ever... everyone knows the best way to learn a language is to date a native speaker... might be a little manipulative but hey, it works better than going to class... the problem with that plan arises if you want to learn more than one language... then you either have to be a really fast learner or have mad game...

lol foreign language classes... silliest things ever... everyone knows the best way to learn a language is to date a native speaker... might be a little manipulative but hey, it works better than going to class... the problem with that plan arises if you want to learn more than one language... then you either have to be a really fast learner or have mad game...

Where I'm headed, all the native Spanish speakers are being deported. :mad: Could lead to some serious heartbreak.

hehe well in that case you can always go the Gov. Sanford way and fly to Argentina to find yourself one of those :D