Least Expensive Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the least expensive dental schools out there? In-state/out-of-state.

Members don't see this ad.

are predents the poorest/cheapest students in the health profession?

i know everybody is gonna say you will be a dentist no matter where you go, but don't you want to go to a school you like better that might be much more expensive than a cheap school? i'm sure if everybody stops taking cost into consideration, people would rather go to nyu than stony brook.

Love,
Frank

Last edited:

i know everybody is gonna say you will be a dentist no matter where you go, but don't you want to go to a school you like better that might be much more expensive than a cheap school? i'm sure if everybody stops taking cost into consideration, people would rather go to nyu than stony brook.

Love,
Frank

Most students from my school and the schools I've visited came from less advantaged backgrounds. Cost is the second most important driving force in school selection, next to trying to specialize. Look at the people in your class and on here and you'll see that money determines our ways of thinking. Look into private practices and you'll see that the dentist sometimes comes before the patients, and it affects the diagnoses made. I give my full respect to those few of us who put others before ourselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some of the least expensive dental schools out there? In-state/out-of-state.

Hey Randy, I will be the sensible one and say that yes there are good dental schools that are actually lower in cost than many, I would say Howard University is the cheapest dental school as far as private goes. For state schools I am not certain...hope that helps.

From state, prolly SIU provided you're a IL resident. Not sure about their out-of-state tuition.

try using www.predents.com or the adea book for dental schools. both are excellent tools for figuring cost both in and out of state.

I live in Florida and I really want to go to NYU. If I can get in to NYU there is no way I'm turning it down. I think it would be a great experience to live there for 4 years and to get out of Florida for once.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the most inexpensive dental schools has got to be Baylor (in-state tuition). It's something like 6K/year to attend if you're a Texas resident.

try using www.predents.com or the adea book for dental schools. both are excellent tools for figuring cost both in and out of state.

Some of the costs arent on there. Plus, are they even accurate? I looked at it and a couple of them were pretty off. I was calculating tuition only and they were still higher than what predents says.

Some of the costs arent on there. Plus, are they even accurate? I looked at it and a couple of them were pretty off. I was calculating tuition only and they were still higher than what predents says.
those numbers on predents come from the adea dental school guide. so unless the book is lying, then i would say they are pretty accurate when telling you what tuition is. of course its going to be rather difficuilt to gaugue how much the total cost of attendance would be without knowing the living expenses. those numbers are not in the book and could prob be best found on a schools website.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the most inexpensive dental schools has got to be Baylor (in-state tuition). It's something like 6K/year to attend if you're a Texas resident.

:eek: 4 yrs @ baylor is almost like a semester @ usc :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
those numbers on predents come from the adea dental school guide. so unless the book is lying, then i would say they are pretty accurate when telling you what tuition is. of course its going to be rather difficuilt to gaugue how much the total cost of attendance would be without knowing the living expenses. those numbers are not in the book and could prob be best found on a schools website.

the tuition figures on predents are from the 2007 ADEA guide, which are the 2006 tuition figures. in 3 years tuition has gone up considerably at some schools.

and most of schools in the guide do include estimated living expenses, books, fees, and all that.

so i would recommend you check out the current, 2009 copy of the ADEA guide for accurate figures, in addition to school websites.

Yea Predents needs to update some of the tuition figures.

ii'm sure if everybody stops taking cost into consideration, people would rather go to nyu than stony brook.

Love,
Frank

Thats a pretty stupid statement. I was at NYU and I wouldnt have gone there even if they offered me a scholarship that made their tuition cheaper than stonybrook. The school itself leaves alot to be desired and Stonybrook is one of the best schools on the east coast. Their professors are excellent and really give you their undivided attention. Their professor to student ration is like 1/6. Their class size is 38 and they always score highly on the boards. NYU has one selling feature, New York City. The school itself is not very good and the classes are way too big. The professors dont know who you are and they are just a business that travels under the name of dental school. Their sole objective is to make money money and more money. The school itself actually sucks pretty bad. Thats just my opinion.

Thats a pretty stupid statement. I was at NYU and I wouldnt have gone there even if they offered me a scholarship that made their tuition cheaper than stonybrook. The school itself leaves alot to be desired and Stonybrook is one of the best schools on the east coast. Their professors are excellent and really give you their undivided attention. Their professor to student ration is like 1/6. Their class size is 38 and they always score highly on the boards. NYU has one selling feature, New York City. The school itself is not very good and the classes are way too big. The professors dont know who you are and they are just a business that travels under the name of dental school. Their sole objective is to make money money and more money. The school itself actually sucks pretty bad. Thats just my opinion.

actually all private schools objective is to make money money money and more money. it not a bad thing either, especially during "economic slow downs" while some public schools may be cutting costs at the clinic or cutting faculty as budgets tighten, a lot of private schools are expanding.
from what i've heard NYU's facilities, staff, student approval,and reputation have been on the rise over the past 4 years or so....maybe some New Yorkers can give us some insight/ confirmation?

so you think public schools are trying to lose money? or not make any money?

so you think public schools are trying to lose money? or not make any money?

they are trying to do the same thing private schools are (make money, not make money, break even, doesnt matter), but state schools are government subsidized, meaning there is less cost to the student. why are you trying to cause trouble in this thread?

Pacific is one of the least expensive when you factor in opportunity costs (which any intelligent person would do). One of the hardest to get into though.

UCLA's gotta be one of the most expensive public schools...our estimated costs for 1st year are 64K in state, 74K out-of-state :(

actually all private schools objective is to make money money money and more money. it not a bad thing either, especially during "economic slow downs" while some public schools may be cutting costs at the clinic or cutting faculty as budgets tighten, a lot of private schools are expanding.
from what i've heard NYU's facilities, staff, student approval,and reputation have been on the rise over the past 4 years or so....maybe some New Yorkers can give us some insight/ confirmation?

I must say that I was not to impressed during my NYU interview. The clinic and facilities are great (and still improving, they are renovating 2 more clinics), however, like Klutzy said, it seems that NYU does not offer anything close to what can be called a personal experience. The D3 student that was giving us the tour told us that himself. He mentioned that most of the professors do not really care about the progress of students. Just throwing that info out there.

:eek: 4 yrs @ baylor is almost like a semester @ usc :laugh:

It's not that their tuition is low, it's that the state has agreed to pay for a large chunk of a student's dental education. The cost of a dental education is the same anywhere you go. Private schools only charge you more because they are not being subsidized by the state. This means that Baylor would most likely accept students who are committed to staying in Texas (but WHY would you want to live in Texas :laugh:).

Dental schools are expensive to run no matter where it's located.. and someone has to pay the tab.