Can I get into at least 1? (Low GPA, Average DAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectivedent00

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/1
Overall GPA: 3.29
Science GPA: 3.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA/21 TS/17 PAT - 22 OC/21 BIO/20 GC/21 RQ/17 PAT/16 QR
State of Residence: PA

Undergrad Attended:
small, rigorous liberal arts school
Major: Neuroscience
Minor: no
Minority?
no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no - taking a gap year this year

Shadowing Experience:
55 in person general dentist, 10 in person OMFS, 100 virtual (165 total)
Volunteering Experience: 30 hospice care facility (will be volunteering during my gap year too)
Employment: 656, ER Scribe; 216 post-op assistant at an oral surgery clinic (almost 800 total)
Research: none; only did research through a course I took
Other Extracurriculars: CHEM TA, Vice President of the Dental Club (and help start the organization)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Scholarship, Dean's List 2 semesters
LOR type and strength: pre-health committee (strong, I have a good relationship with the pre-health advisor), general dentist (strong, also have a good relationship with her)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: my sGPA, obviously :(
School list:
AT Still - AZ
Boston U
LECOM
Loma Linda
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Roseman
Temple
Touro
Tufts
U of Nevada, Las Vegas
UNE
Western

I know my application is not the strongest, and unfortunately I can't afford a master's program; however, my undergraduate institution was ungodly tough (like they basically aren't even offering some of the same introductory biology/chemistry courses because of how tough they are, changed the entire pre-health course load for the new graduating class, lots of issues that are still being sorted out). Of course, this isn't exactly an excuse but it definitely explains some aspects of my GPA. I probably won't discuss that during any interviews I receive because I'm trying to avoid the blame game, but I just want to know the odds that I get into at least ONE school. Thank you guys sm :')

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 6/1
Overall GPA: 3.29
Science GPA: 3.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA/21 TS/17 PAT - 22 OC/21 BIO/20 GC/21 RQ/17 PAT/16 QR
State of Residence: PA

Undergrad Attended:
small, rigorous liberal arts school
Major: Neuroscience
Minor: no
Minority?
no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no - taking a gap year this year

Shadowing Experience:
55 in person general dentist, 10 in person OMFS, 100 virtual (165 total)
Volunteering Experience: 30 hospice care facility (will be volunteering during my gap year too)
Employment: 656, ER Scribe; 216 post-op assistant at an oral surgery clinic (almost 800 total)
Research: none; only did research through a course I took
Other Extracurriculars: CHEM TA, Vice President of the Dental Club (and help start the organization)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Scholarship, Dean's List 2 semesters
LOR type and strength: pre-health committee (strong, I have a good relationship with the pre-health advisor), general dentist (strong, also have a good relationship with her)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: my sGPA, obviously :(
School list:
AT Still - AZ
Boston U
LECOM
Loma Linda
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Roseman
Temple
Touro
Tufts
U of Nevada, Las Vegas
UNE
Western

I know my application is not the strongest, and unfortunately I can't afford a master's program; however, my undergraduate institution was ungodly tough (like they basically aren't even offering some of the same introductory biology/chemistry courses because of how tough they are, changed the entire pre-health course load for the new graduating class, lots of issues that are still being sorted out). Of course, this isn't exactly an excuse but it definitely explains some aspects of my GPA. I probably won't discuss that during any interviews I receive because I'm trying to avoid the blame game, but I just want to know the odds that I get into at least ONE school. Thank you guys sm :')
Do you consider yourself as sometime who had a disadvantaged background (SES, health, etc.)?

Do you consider yourself as sometime who had a disadvantaged background (SES, health, etc.)?
somewhat. my parents are immigrants, and there's an incidence of really unfortunate life circumstances (mentally, and also just situationally) in my whole family. I feel like I could discuss something like this in an interview, but it can be awkward to bring up mental illness when it's not in a conversation

Honestly its a slim chance with the GPA, but the school that would accept you would likely be 500k+.

If you are having trouble affording post-bacc programs, that amount of debt will not do you any favors.

Reactions: 1 user